Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bacwaan

Thread: Reputable dive operators in Phuket?

Newby

Reputable dive operators in Phuket?

Hey all, I was hoping that a few of you may be able to recommend some reputable dive operators around the Phuket area for an upcoming tripů it seems like all of the once I've seen online 10 to go to the same places as each other, so does anyone have experience with any particular company? I'd like to get in around two or three dives a day, and not spend an arm and a leg to do itů It seems that the average rate I'm seeing is about $100 US for three dives. If I could find someone that does it for cheaper but doesn't sacrifice on the safety measures that would be even better.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Most of the Dive Companies you book with share the same boats and operators...it all depends on what dives you want to do on any given day...in general they don't discount unless there are groups

The diving out in Phangna Bay is pretty good from Nov until April and it is still OK depending upon weather conditions year round...there are 3 main areas...Phi Phi Area, The middle of the bay with the likes of Shark Point, Anemone, King Cruiser Wreck, Doc Mai etc and then over off Koh Racha (Yai and Noi)...

You can also do liveaboards out to The Similan Islands in the same season..Nov to April...however they do not go out after this...the islands and dive sites out there close down outside of this "season"

Sunris Divers over at Karon are good..Jamie there is a great guy and writes a very good blog on FB...but if you are staying in Patong there are numerous joints to book locally

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Hi Jerbee, One thing about Diving In Thailand ....Dont expect the Great Barrier Reef or Fiji , The water is dirty and not a lot of marine life there. The Ocean has bee raped in that part of the world.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Hi Jerbee, One thing about Diving In Thailand ....Dont expect the Great Barrier Reef or Fiji , The water is dirty and not a lot of marine life there. The Ocean has bee raped in that part of the world.
    It was ok when I went dove there about 3-4 years ago. It's definitely no Great Barrier Reef, but for introductory dives it's not bad at all. Saw a good variety of marine life. I think it was the dive shop across from the 'dolphin roundabout'?..if I'm not mistaken.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    It was ok when I went dove there about 3-4 years ago. It's definitely no Great Barrier Reef, but for introductory dives it's not bad at all. Saw a good variety of marine life. I think it was the dive shop across from the 'dolphin roundabout'?..if I'm not mistaken.
    Might be the same one I went with IIRC they were Karron Divers . we went down to the bottom of Phuket to get the boat and went out to Sea a bit. The diving (snorkeling)was shit , but the boat trip was great . 2 cooked meals , big boat and it was only about $60 aud but this was roughly 5+ years ago.

I liked the boat trip as well. Lots of back packers aboard to have a chat with. I do remember meals were included, as well as cold beers.

Diving off Phuket is very weather/current driven...if you get bad viz and conditions it's pointless..whilst that is true of anywhere it does seem to swing and vary a lot out in The Bay...

I must have led 500+ dives out there and I have had some beauties, including seeing whale sharks and getting 20+m viz days...but I have also had some disappointments..you always feel for the customers when it is shite...one of the multitude of reasons I gave up being a part of the biz...though mostly it was for being treated as a slave by some of the dive companies

It isn't The Barrier Reef that's true but it is in general a good area for learner and intermediate divers, with plenty to see and lots of variation...unfortunately most coral reefs around the world are dying due to the warmer seas and pretty soon The Barrier Reef won't be the Barrier Reef either...probably be all gone in the OPs lifetime...I have seen a huge change in mine
    Tingtong likes this.

That's pretty worrying. Take the Great Barrier Reef away and Queensland will turn into a desert similar to WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    That's pretty worrying. Take the Great Barrier Reef away and Queensland will turn into a desert similar to WA.
    It's already dying mate...and rapidly...last time I was there about 3 years ago, there was hundreds of acres of dead coral...we passed over it on the boat to get further afield...it was once like a wonderland there...some wonderful dive sites gone for good