The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Don't Pay that fine for 6-7 days and keep riding/driving

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

Don't Pay that fine for 6-7 days and keep riding/driving

Well all my, and others, advice has been to keep your passport and Drivers/riders license in the safe, carry a colored copy of both on you at all times and your OK.

That had been my experience till yesterday.

Here in Pattaya riding with my riders license and passport copies, that by the way we certified copies by Aust police and stamped and initialed by the constable. I was stopped on Beach Rd outside police HQ.
    The cop wasn't having anything to do with listening to me, wrote out the fine took my key and walked away.

So go take a number, 38 in front of me, just over an hour and 400bt later I get my key back.

Go to Loom and throw receipt in the toilet where it belongs, get passport and drivers and riders licence out of safe and into pocket.

So just now I am going over to Jontin and get pulled over again, I get out my passport and licence hand over and said I was done yesterday for not having them with me so made sure today.
    He asked yo have ticked from yesterday, I said no it is in room and I didn't know I needed to have it after I paid.

He gives my licence to the young cop and he starts writing a ticket. I burn my leg getting off the bike, what is going on? ( now have Thai Tattoo )

You must have international licence not just aust. rider licence.

I explained that international law requires the licence to be in English, which mine is, yes if the licence is written in any other language it has to be translated into English on an international standard. One already in English does not.

His answer was Thailand make different law you must have. and walked away with my licence having given me the ticket.

So here was one good thing, he didn't take my key and waved for me to go pay the fine. So I am furious and go back to HQ take a number and again 20 in front.

Mr Deen is who I rented from, he is on Beach Rd just down from the HQ. so I walked down to tell him I was going to take the bike for another 4 days but not now and here is the bike give me my deposit. I was paid till 5pm tomorrow but fcuk this!!!.

I told him I was done yesterday as well etc.

SO HERE IS THE THING !!! He explained to me not to pay the fine for up to 7 days. I can ride around without a licence on me as long as I don't pay the fine. If I am pulled over I just show the fine and they can not book me again.

Then go pay the fine when ready and they have my licence kept at HQ for 7 days, pay the fine get the licence back.

I guess it will get tested over the next couple of days, as a big farang, riding a big motor bike with big motor and exhaust stands out 555555
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 20th October 2017 at 22:19.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Far out JC - that all sounds like a major, unwanted and stressful waste of time !

Obes, it is quiet season here and the MIB normal source of income is at a low so wringing everything they can out of us and not just us they are stopping every Thai on a bike as well.
    obes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    And you wonder why I hate Thai police? They are a bunch of crooks.

I'm not going to repeat all my "misadventures" with Thai police again, but I have very good reasons for thinking the whole system is a scam. At all the road blocks designed to scam tourists the police seem genuinely disappointed when I now show them my Thai drivers license, my up to date motorbike registration, my bike license plate with an up to date sticker, and I'm wearing a helmet. Then they try to get me for having only a copy of my passport.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    What a rip.
    I always carried my original Aussie DL not a copy everywhere before i got my Thai DL. Sometimes had the IDP when pulled over, sometimes not. never had a problem like that
    you're a sitting duck around town there (or just about any city nowdays)...although they can be just as hungry on the roads on the outskirts of CM too.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 20th October 2017 at 18:24.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    And we reckon the traffic cops in Aus are revenue raisers.

Thank fcuk we at least pay them a decent salary !

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    The Cops on Samui still accept a standard AUS licence without an International Permit but I have heard that both in Patts and Phuket they will still book you...it seems that its up to the cop at the time...Pattaya has always been renowned for ripping off its tourists

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Sheesh! Not worth the trouble.

Go find yourself a nice girl and ride her instead. There's always a chance she'll give you something, but at least it won't be a bloody fine!
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Newby Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Did you have an International Drivers License JC ?

Ive been pulled over many times and sometimes the cops happy with my Oz dl.......other times they want an international.....always a copy btw......touch wood ive never been fined, except the time my missus refused to wear a helmet in CM, back to the cop shop and pay the fine, ride out of cop shop again without helmet, cannot fine us again 555
    justcruzing1 likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    400 Bht is a hell of a lot of baht bus trips 555
    You are a far braver man than me to ride around Pattaya anyway

Like I said, it's quiet season

Anyhow after all these years no one has told me when you get fined don't pay it and you are fine to keep riding, so I thought I'd open a thread to let others know.

Yes Bacon, all in hand.. to use a pun My mate Gary and his wife are experts at setting me and others up. Went pear shaped last night but that will be revealed in the TR.

Pete, riding here is less stressful to me than in a big city in Aust. etc I really do enjoy it and as it is quiet season there are not as many drunk Farlangs on the road.

Riding around with locals is brilliant, they all know what they are going to do and already know what you are going to do as well.

Here bikes - mopeds, are the majority by a long shot, not like back home where there is mostly cars and trucks and neither of those drivers understand a bike, give no respect to them.

Riding the bigger bike I occasionally get caught where I cant fit thru a gap a moped can, but not often and the 900cc gives me the grunt to pull the trigger the second i see an opening, at my size on a moped I would be hesitating waiting for it to get moving etc.
    PeteGill, Ian Forbes and TLandHim like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Like I said, it's quiet season

Anyhow after all these years no one has told me when you get fined don't pay it and you are fine to keep riding, so I thought I'd open a thread to let others know.

Yes Bacon, all in hand.. to use a pun My mate Gary and his wife are experts at setting me and others up. Went pear shaped last night but that will be revealed in the TR.

Pete, riding here is less stressful to me than in a big city in Aust. etc I really do enjoy it and as it is quiet season there are not as many drunk Farlangs on the road.

Riding around with locals is brilliant, they all know what they are going to do and already know what you are going to do as well.

Here bikes - mopeds, are the majority by a long shot, not like back home where there is mostly cars and trucks and neither of those drivers understand a bike, give no respect to them.

Riding the bigger bike I occasionally get caught where I cant fit thru a gap a moped can, but not often and the 900cc gives me the grunt to pull the trigger the second i see an opening, at my size on a moped I would be hesitating waiting for it to get moving etc.
    That is why I switched over to riding my D-Tracker. It's not as fast on the highway as the big bikes, but will still exceed the speed limit by a wide margin. However, unlike the big bike I used to own, the D-Tracker will fit between vehicles like a scooter, and yet can jump over curbs and go through ditches. On my way south on the super highway towards Bangkok they were ripping up one side to repave it. All traffic was diverted to the other side and it was at a stand still. I road 4 km in the grassy median and jumped past everyone.

Well I didn't get to test the theory, as no one pulled me over but I did go pay the fine today and got my licence back so all good.

Wheels up tomorrow, leave here at 8am.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Well I didn't get to test the theory, as no one pulled me over but I did go pay the fine today and got my licence back so all good.

Wheels up tomorrow, leave here at 8am.
    All is well that ends well. Have a safe trip back. 55

ํIf you receive a ticket, don't immediately go and pay the fine, you can hold on to it and use it as sort of a ... magic paper that keeps away the police. For few weeks at least.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Similar in this vlog , 12min 30secs onwards

Nomad likes this.

He has a pretty, vivacious wife. The ticket didn't seem to bother him much. His semi-sarcastic remarks were spot on.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Not really much you can do if the cop takes your key JC...

Of course Ive heard of the ticket being a 'get out of trouble free' card.
    I got done with 5 adults up front and 1 adult and 10 kids in the tray ( canopied) in the back of my truck just outside Korat.
    In that case the tgf went over and paid it immediately , but asked if we had to go home and was told no , we had all day .

She held it up at the next road block and we were waived thru'.
    As a matter of fact , now I think about it , there were far more roadblocks and cop interventions up north than I ever see down south.
    Same same Pats.
    Most times I go to Samui and back , so 5 hours each way , I dont see even 1 cop.
    Cop road blocks here in Phuket have disappeared for a month , I dunno why...

Last trip we were stopped at Prai Phraya and the cop was enthralled with Alice , called her "tua Lek" ( person small ) and a play on "Dtua Lek" , little peanut. he asked for nothing and waived us on.
    As I have Thai licenses for both car and bike the cops cant do much in that area , but they are more frequently asking for IDPs here now.

But I think they do judge a book by their covers.
    They look for cheap rental helmets and lilly white skins for sure.
    They know that the naive wont argue too much...
    Ian Forbes likes this.

I didn't know there was a difference between paying or not, the ticket seems to buy you a week no matter what from my experience. Expect for a camera speeding fine, come on 500 baht for 45 over the limit, its corrupt Thai police again just wanting tea money, I was doing way faster than that!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Similar in this vlog , 12min 30secs onwards

So he's deriding the way Thai people drive, and then goes on to comment about that if you get ticketed then yes it's a get out of jail for the rest of the trip.

The sh1thead is using a handheld camera / phone while he's driving.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast