Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: The Thai Elephant thread

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    There are signs all through that park telling motorists to watch out for elephants. I had photos of the signs but lost them when my photo hosting site crashed.

But, I don't think Thais pay much attention to signs... at least not from my observation.
    Thais don't pay much attention to anything on the roads, least of all signs 555....

Thais attending a conference on road safety were told that a recent survey indicated that a staggering 32% of adult respondents thought the road carnage was just their fate.

The conference also announced figures for the annual death toll that did not tally with other numbers claimed earlier in the week that threatened to put Thailand at the top of the tree of deaths around the world.

And the stats for people suffering handicaps was also completely at odds with previously announced figures.

Daily News said in their headline that 15,000 people were dying annually after a government conference was held. This represented 42 families a day losing a loved one.

But earlier in the week other agencies said the figure was at least 22,000 dead.

There were fears this would propel Thailand to be named as the most dangerous place in the world to drive.

Previous figures also spoke of a million handicapped and injured.

The latest conference talked of 5,000 handicapped as a result of accidents - or just 15 a day.

Attendees were also told that 2 billion baht was lost per year because of accidents. Again this was a fraction of previously announced figures.

The conference was organised by the government's Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation under the chair of Chayaphon Thitisak.

The death toll was put at 15,488 in 2016.

But perhaps the most revealing statistics came from a survey conducted by Noppadol Kannika of "Superpoll" that asked Thai adults why there were so many road accidents.

While many mentioned driving conditions, road quality and poor drivers, 32.1% said it was just fate.

This however represented a drop from 2009 when more than half thought that way.

The October 2017 poll found that more than three quarters of the Thai population were closely affected by the carnage on the roads. That represents around 50 million people.

While 96.6% of respondents believed it was time that the government spent more on the issue.

The survey polled 1196 people in 15 provinces.

Nowhere in the Daily News article was the role of law enforcement, or the lack thereof, mentioned.

Source: Daily News
    Ian Forbes and Hatari like this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    That post was appropriate in both topics, Cuzzy. Why bother posting safety signs if nobody reads them? I always get a laugh on a twisty mountain highway, where you've been going around sharp curves continually, that there will suddenly be a sign that says "SHARP CURVE"... like really? What were all those that I just rode through?
    Cuzzy likes this.

"Let me out"

Dusit Zoo, Bangkok

Male elephant found dead in Hala-Bala wildlife sanctuary
    November 23, 2017

A male elephant, about 12-15 years old, was found dead in the Hala Bala Wildlife Sanctuary in Chanae district of Narathiwat province on Thursday (Nov 23), Narongsak Pongdee, the sanctuary chief, said.

Villagers said they believed it was the elephant which had often come out to damage their property but none of them had seen it, except some footprints and dung. The wildlife officials initially believed the elephant might have been electrocuted, judging from the electrical wire in its mouth, and died at least eight hours before it was found. Livestock officials from Chanae district and veterinarians from Songkhla have been asked to examine the dead elephant to establish the cause of its death.

Star elephant beats mahout to death at Chiang Mai Zoo
    November 27, 2017

A well-known male elephant at Chiang Mai Zoo, Phlai Ekasit, that appeared in action movie “Ong Bak” starring Panom “Tony Jaa” Yeeram and other Thai and international films, hit a mahout with its trunk, killing him instantly, on Monday morning (Nov 27), police said.

Eyewitnesses told police that the incident occurred while Somsak Riangngern, 55, the elephant’s handler for over 10 years, was giving him a banana tree in a kraal inside the zoo and trying to walk him to take a bath. The elephant suddenly turned to the mahout and hit him many times with his trunk, killing him in front of his wife, Mrs Jampa.

Zoo officials were later able to keep the elephant under control. It was initially believed the 32-year-old pachyderm went wild because he was is in rut. However, the actual cause of the incident has yet to be determined by veterinarians.

Somsak’s body was sent to Maharat Nakhon Chiang Mai Hospital. A native of Surin province, Somsak would be taken to his home province for a funeral.

Mrs Jampa, 50, the mahout’s wife, said Phlai Ekasit was usually a lovable and kind animal that had appeared in several films. He was popular among tourists who like to feed and take pictures with him.

2-0 to the elephants

One hit with the spiked 'bull hook' stick too many?

Elephant kills owner, tries to hide him
    November 27, 2017
    A man was killed by his elephant in Krabi's Khao Phanom district on Sunday.Police said relatives found the body of Amorn Morakot, 50, covered by tree branches near the spot where he had chained his 37-year-old female elephant in Moo 4 village in Tambon Na Khao. An autopsy showed that he had been kicked on his face and several parts of his body. Relatives said Amron had chained his elephant at the side of a rubber plantation after he had it been pulling up logs during the day.
    Relatives noticed that the man had been away from his house for several hours, so they went looking for him and found his body under the branches of a tree at 8.30pm. They believe the elephant killed him and then tried to conceal his body. They also said the elephant had once attacked and injured Amorn before.
    Last edited by Hatari; 28th November 2017 at 04:54.

I know it is necessary, but I hate that practice of tying an elephant to the ground with a chain. I can just vision myself chained to one spot with nothing to do. I would go nuts.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I know it is necessary, but I hate that practice of tying an elephant to the ground with a chain. I can just vision myself chained to one spot with nothing to do. I would go nuts.
    Yet you got married TWICE! 55
    Nomad likes this.

Not a new photo, but its impact doesn't diminish with time

2011: Photojournalist Brent Lewin won a Science/Natural History Award of Excellence for this image at the Pictures of the Year competition.

Brent Lewin / Redux Pictures
    A baby elephant braces for a hit during a training session in a Karen village in Burma.
    The training session is coined the 'crush' as its goal is to break the elephant's spirit.
    Wild elephants are typically tied up and beaten for 3 days straight and left to starve.
    Burmese Karen mahouts near the Thai border operate a clandestine and illegal trade network smuggling elephants into Thailand to be sold to mahouts for the Thai tourism industry.
    Officials estimate that 1 Burmese elephant is smuggled into Thailand every week.

Wild elephants won’t let humans ride on top of them. So in order to tame a wild elephant, it is tortured as a baby to completely break its spirit. The process is called Phajaan, or “the crush”.
    It involves ripping baby elephants away from their mothers and confining them in a very small space, like a cage or hole in the ground where they’re unable to move.
    The baby elephants are then beaten into submission with clubs, pierced with sharp bull-hooks, and simultaneously starved and deprived of sleep for many days.
    Last edited by Hatari; 28th November 2017 at 10:41.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Yet you got married TWICE! 55

Best line I've heard in ages, Slammer! Thanks for my morning belly laugh. 555

Might also explain why I'm nuts. 55
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 28th November 2017 at 10:51.

"Just heading out for a swim... be back in an hour"

One-tusk elephant strays into village and plays in water in Bung Kan
    November 28, 2017

Villagers at a village in Bung Konglong district of Bung Kan province panicked after a wild one-tusk elephant strayed into their village and played in water in the Nong Bua Daeng swamp.

According to the villagers, the elephant played in water in the swamp about 100 metres from the shore. After watching the elephant playing in water for almost an hour, it walked slowly back to shore passing the rice field and disappearing in the woods towards the wildlife sanctuary. Park officials said the sanctuary is home to about 50 wild elephants. The sanctuary has 110,000 rai covering Bung Kan, Bung Kla, Seka, and Bung Konglong districts of Bung Kan.

NOTE: OK I didn't know this place. Geography lesson of the day:
    Bueng Kan (Thai: บึงกาฬ) is a township (Thesaban Tambon) in Mueang Bueng Kan District, in Bueng Kan Province, far northeastern Thailand. It is the district capital and is on the Mekong River, opposite the Laotian town of Pakxan of Bolikhamsai Province. As of 2010, it had a population of 9,712 people and has jurisdiction over 11 villages. It lies at the junction of Highways 212 and 222, 136 kilometres northeast of Nong Khai and 750 kilometres northeast of Bangkok. The economy is based on agriculture, with para rubber as the principal crop, and tourism.
    Last edited by Hatari; 28th November 2017 at 16:10.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Elephants as they "should be", Hatari. They love the water.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Was thinking of doing a day at elephant nature park but after this I think I’ll just skip it. Not worth the risk if you catch them on a bad day.

Over the border, but a fun story

When an unexpectedly cold front from China descended on parts of Southeast Asia this past week, people in Thailand, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia bundled up in coats to stave off the region’s unusual weather.

But what’s an elephant to do?

The unseasonal cold weather hit the Winga Baw camp for orphaned elephants in Myanmar, according to Sangdeaun Lek Chailert, the founder of the Save Elephant Foundation, a nonprofit organization based in Thailand that is dedicated to protecting Asian elephants. Temperatures fell to 8 degrees Celsius (46 degrees Fahrenheit) in some parts of the country.

Workers at the camp scrambled to protect seven orphaned elephants in their care, using straw to keep them warm, she wrote in a Facebook post describing the operation. But the camp, in the Bago Region, also had a secret weapon: giant knitted and crocheted blankets.

They were donated by Blankets for Baby Rhinos, a wildlife conservation craft group founded in November 2016 on Facebook by Sue Brown, who has been involved in rhino conservation for 25 years, and Elisa Best, a veterinary surgeon.

The group of 1,500 knitters and crocheters are scattered around the globe. Jo Caris, a coordinator for Blankets for Baby Rhinos in France, said by email on Sunday

Our largest community of knitters and crocheters are in South Africa. After that, it’s the U.S.A., U.K., Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Europe.”

Last edited by Hatari; 1st January 2018 at 13:31.

An elephant dressed in a Santa Claus costume distributes a doll to students during Christmas celebrations at Jirasart school in Ayutthaya, Thailand, December 22, 2017

No respect for borders, immigration or visas...

Rogue elephant off on another Cambodian jaunt
    January 11, 2018

A killer wild elephant on Thursday morning evaded efforts to keep it on Thai soil and emigrated to Cambodia.It is, however, expected to return when it’s ready.

The elephant, named Plai Sidor Daeng, lives mainly in the Ang Rue Nai wildlife sanctuary, but successfully made its way across the border to Siem Reap, said Manote Rattanatrai, head of an elephant lookout team based at the Khao Soidao sanctuary. Thai officials and volunteers tried on Wednesday to block the animal’s easterly path in Sa Kaew’s Aranyaprathet district to keep it away from the border.

The beast’s movements have been monitored for years and it has wandered into and back from Cambodia several times, otherwise migrating among forest areas in Chanthaburi – Khao Soidao, Pong Nam Ron and Khao Kitchakut. Manote said it could return to Thailand by itself again.

Meanwhile Thai officials will work with their Cambodian counterparts to keep watch and steer it back to Thailand, he said.

Plai Sidor Daeng, who weighs six tonnes despite having no tusks, is a known rogue and has killed several people in Chanthaburi.

Early this month it was being a nuisance on farms, damaging and eating crops from Chanthaburi to Sa Kaew.

The pachyderm made headlines last June when it broke through an electrified fence just three hours after being penned up for “behaviour adjustment”. That was in the Khao Takrup Forest Conservation Project area in Sa Kaew’s Wang Nam Yen district. The animal then disappeared into the Ang Rue Nai sanctuary.

Yesterday:

Rogue elephant heads towards Cambodia
    January 10, 2018
    A wild elephant named Plai Sidor Daeng is heading towards Cambodia despite Thai officials and volunteers’ attempt to block its path with 10 tractors in the border village of Ban Thab Prik in Sa Kaew’s Aranyaprathet district on Wednesday morning.
    One hundred officers from several wildlife sanctuaries and community volunteers tried to chase the elephant back towards the Ang Rue Nai wildlife sanctuary – from where it is believed to have strayed – instead of heading to Cambodia, said Manote Rattanatrai, an elephant lookout team chief at Khao Soidao wildlife sanctuary.
    Last edited by Hatari; 11th January 2018 at 17:23.
    Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    ^ Another border run 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    ^ Another border run 555
    Over stayer, must be IF's mate 555

An elephant after my own heart.
    PeteGill likes this.

Plai Sidor Daeng, Holiday in Cambodia