Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Getting a Thai Sim Card in BKK (airport pick up) for my iphone.

  1. #1
    Cadet silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    175

    Getting a Thai Sim Card in BKK (airport pick up) for my iphone.

    So last April I spent 50 on data on my phone (EE) whilst out in Thailand. That wasn't a lot of data either. A lot of the time wifi is available of course, but, given that i'll be wanting to keep in touch with some of my line friends out there when I arrive (2 weeks), I thought i'd swap my sim and get a Thai sim for the 11 days.

    My friend at work has used True Move before when he's been in Bkk and said it was fairly decent.

    I think i've seen a number of the stores in the arrivals section at BKK.

    Just wondering what the regular visitors do when they come over and what deals to look out for/go for and how easy it is to set up etc etc?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,940
    I got a Dtac SIM at arrivals at DMK last time there for 590 baht unlimited data for 30 days.
    They inserted it and set it up.
    chiefbrody likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    7,145
    I had a Thai sim for years but lost if a few trips ago, when you come out of arrivals there are some phone places almost as you exit but to the right slightly for memory. Just talk with them they will fit the sim and load it up for you. Last trip I loaded 500tb and never used it all in the two weeks. Reload if needed is at any 7/11
    chiefbrody likes this.

  4. #4
    Cadet Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I got a Dtac SIM at arrivals at DMK last time there for 590 baht unlimited data for 30 days.
    They inserted it and set it up.
    What was the speed and reception like?
    When I was in bkk and Patong in April I paid $5 aud per day global roaming with Vodafone. But was looking at true move 1500 baht got 16gb if DTAC has good reception I’ll just go with them

  5. #5
    Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    6,581
    Our local 7/11s all stopped selling pre-pay cards/coupons last year, instead directing customers to the vending machines outside the store

    From AIS site

    Topping up by yourself is now easier than ever with Payment KIOSK – an automated machine for prepaid customers.
    Step-by-step guide to topping up:
    1. Select language, Thai or English
    2. Select One-2-Call!
    3. Select top-up amount
    4. Input the number to be topped up
    5. Recheck the information. If all information is correct, press OK.
    6. Insert coins/banknotes. **After receiving the specified amount, the system will show the processing page.
    7. Transaction completed. Please wait for the receipt.
    AIS offer deals for tourists, have a look at their site, depends how much data you want but that 488baht for 5GB is an option
    chiefbrody likes this.

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,319
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefbrody View Post
    So last April I spent 50 on data on my phone (EE) whilst out in Thailand. That wasn't a lot of data either. A lot of the time wifi is available of course, but, given that i'll be wanting to keep in touch with some of my line friends out there when I arrive (2 weeks), I thought i'd swap my sim and get a Thai sim for the 11 days.

    My friend at work has used True Move before when he's been in Bkk and said it was fairly decent.

    I think i've seen a number of the stores in the arrivals section at BKK.

    Just wondering what the regular visitors do when they come over and what deals to look out for/go for and how easy it is to set up etc etc?

    TIA
    When you get out of baggage
    There is 3 or 4 stores to the right and there is quite a # of people waiting to get a SIM.
    Dont worry.....each place has just as many employees helping
    They will show you the plans and they girls set it all up real fast.

    I forget the price but it's extremely reasonable for unlimited data
    chiefbrody likes this.

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    3,298
    Also you will need to show your pass port to get a Thai Sim .
    chiefbrody and Scottie like this.

  8. #8
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,718
    As per M26 advice, the TRUE sales booth outside baggage at Suvarnabhumi is easily located. IIRC a 15 day tourist SIM costs about 600 thb for 8gig data. You'd be flat out using that as free TRUE wifi is available in most public cbd areas such as shopping malls.

    At DMK the various booths, DTAC, TRUE, AIS etc are in between Terminal 1 and 2. AIS has excellent coverage across the country with 4G and free wifi in cbd areas.
    chiefbrody and Bocam like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  9. #9
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,526
    I have had the same mobile number with True for many years now - they cut me another sim when one stopped working and another when I needed a micro sim and 4G etc - great service at their stores and plenty of good English speakers.

    Each recharge gives you an expiry date as well as baht credit and every True shop has one of their self-service recharge ATMs with English instructions - stand in front of it for ten seconds or more and a staff member will come over and push the buttons for you anyway. The hardest part for me is buying enough credit so that the expiry date is after the start date of my next return to LOS.

    Once you have the sim and baht credit you can sms a code to a number and get various mobile data plans - for as little as 15 baht for one day/ 200mb etc. These various "offers" come thru as SMS on your phone daily and can be a bit annoying.

    I only recommend True because it is what I have - heard good things about DTAC and others to.
    Ian Forbes, chiefbrody and Hatari like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Also you will need to show your pass port to get a Thai Sim .
    That is true. I forgot that a couple of times and had to go back and get my passport. I use DTAC because at one time they were the largest and most efficient provider. I think AIS is similar now.

    When I left Thailand last March I told them I would be returning in 7 months. Just before I left I set up a program that allowed me to pay a low monthly fee to keep my old number and SIM card. I will up date it when I get back in a couple of weeks. That way I won't have to let all my Thai friends know a new number. Thailand cell phone coverage is much cheaper than what we have in Canada. We are ripped off in Canada.
    Tingtong likes this.

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocam View Post
    What was the speed and reception like?
    When I was in bkk and Patong in April I paid $5 aud per day global roaming with Vodafone. But was looking at true move 1500 baht got 16gb if DTAC has good reception I’ll just go with them
    It's as good as any there.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,957
    Can you add funds to all sims at 7/11 or is it just certain companies?

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Can you add funds to all sims at 7/11 or is it just certain companies?
    All..........
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  14. #14
    Cadet silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    175
    Cheers for the replies. Wifi in lots of places so maye 4-5g will be sufficient and the prices seem great. I’ll have a look at the stalls when i arrive on the Sat evening.

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,319
    This has nothing to do with Thailand

    But I just got a great new plan that allows me to use my plan in US
    Before I'd have to get a travel package....now I just use my phone like I would in Canada

  16. #16
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,718
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefbrody View Post
    Cheers for the replies. Wifi in lots of places so maye 4-5g will be sufficient and the prices seem great. I’ll have a look at the stalls when i arrive on the Sat evening.
    As you'll no doubt be aware, turning OFF 'mobile data' saves your credit when not required, otherwise GPS, LINE and all other apps will chew thru some data quite needlessly. Not so important in Th where data is so cheap but in NZ or Aus the tourist plans are quite limited and data can be exxy.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  17. #17
    Cadet silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    175
    Yup

    I had to be careful last time with what was on and what not.

    Amazing how you get through data so quick though. Even with such trivial crap like words with friends. 5555

    Was playing that on a 5 hr bus ride back to BKK earlier this year and that took hundreds of meg of data! Probably all those pesky adverts 55

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,319
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    As you'll no doubt be aware, turning OFF 'mobile data' saves your credit when not required, otherwise GPS, LINE and all other apps will chew thru some data quite needlessly. Not so important in Th where data is so cheap but in NZ or Aus the tourist plans are quite limited and data can be exxy.
    That's what I like about my new plan
    The old travel package was 100MB of internet........that's nothing

    Now I have 7kg, can use that towards usage in US

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10,485
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    That's what I like about my new plan
    The old travel package was 100MB of internet........that's nothing

    Now I have 7kg, can use that towards usage in US
    7 kg, that's heavy... They will charge you for excess luggage.. 555
    Ian Forbes likes this.

  20. #20
    Cadet silver Scottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Oz
    Age
    47
    Posts
    138
    Personally I worry less about my phone number in Thailand than having the same device with a Thai Sim card, global roaming is insane in pricing.

    Line still works with a Thai sim or even wireless in your hotel.

    It covers your ass if you have a Thai GF and pretending not to be in country, as they can still contact you on Line.

    I prefer to use Line to contact mates as it saves me money on phone costs, Line just uses the internet to communicate, fook the global roaming.
    Cheers

    Scottie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •