Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Child care in Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Child care in Thailand

So my MIL takes care of kids when their parents have to work ling hours.

She has done it for my wife's siblings but branched out and is doing it as a job for people in the neighborhood.

She has had one girl for almost 2 years, Soda. The mom and dad both work and they drop her off in the morning and pick her up later early evening.
    She really is like part of the family.

And she has another baby coming for her to care for in December. They are having the baby and basically handing it right to my MIL. Same deal during the day.

And I know it's a necessity that these parents wouldn't do if they could.
    But I was thinking what a bizarre situation for everyone involved.

The parents have to have their child raised by someone else.
    The child.....I don't know what they think but had to be confusing
    And my MIL and wife fall in love with a child that isn't thiers

Overall I think it's all done in a positive manner but just confusing for everyone involved

But now here is a sticky situation.

The father, whose a good guy, got in an accident at work and lost his leg.
    The wife still has to work so they asked my MIL if she can take care of Soda full time and they will see her when they can.

My wife said that besides 3k/mo he gets no other benefits .

So my MIL feels bad asking for more money.....and hoenstly if she needs more money I'd tell her I will pay the extra 2-3k she wants to charge them.
    I never met the people but they have to be going through hell.

But here's the thing.
    My wife is now talking about she'd adopt Soda if it came down to it and the parents wanted that.
    I am already on record with her I'd love to adopt.

But in this scenario it would almost feel like stealing someone's kid.

I told my wife to never mention her willingness to adopt Soda but if the parents approached her we could talk.

I don't know.......life in Thailand certainly isn't without surprises

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Here in Aust. we have a lot of "Home'' child minding centres.

people with little ones that don't want to go back to work yet, get checked out and approved to home care for up to 5 small ones.

Generally they need a clean record, an area for the kids to play that is secure and bathroom facilities.

They don't need any formal training.

It is cheaper cost to the parents of the little ones that are looked after, than a normal child care centre.
    Also some parents like that the child is only with 4-5 others, not the case in the bigger minding centre's where there can be 100 children.

The difference is the commercial ones have to have medical facilities and formal training for all staff.

Child minding here, is usually a drop off from 7am and pick up up till 7pm but lots of extra fees if that long a day care.

How terrible for the father, to loose a leg by a work accident. Doesn't he have compensation for it? Here we have to have work place accident insurance and he would have been "a Partial fully incapacitated claim" and would expect to get $2-400,000 in payment. Depending on what his income was.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Here in Aust. we have a lot of "Home'' child minding centres.

people with little ones that don't want to go back to work yet, get checked out and approved to home care for up to 5 small ones.

Generally they need a clean record, an area for the kids to play that is secure and bathroom facilities.

They don't need any formal training.

It is cheaper cost to the parents of the little ones that are looked after, than a normal child care centre.
    Also some parents like that the child is only with 4-5 others, not the case in the bigger minding centre's where there can be 100 children.

The difference is the commercial ones have to have medical facilities and formal training for all staff.

Child minding here, is usually a drop off from 7am and pick up up till 7pm but lots of extra fees if that long a day care.

How terrible for the father, to loose a leg by a work accident. Doesn't he have compensation for it? Here we have to have work place accident insurance and he would have been "a Partial fully incapacitated claim" and would expect to get $2-400,000 in payment. Depending on what his income was.
    Day care in Vancouver is astronomical
    My neighbors got lucky and got into the public library one and it's still 2k/mo
    Private ones a lot more

My MIL has a good thing going, but it's a lot of work.
    But she likes it and with 2 babies she will be making 8-10k baht/no

We toyed with the idea of opening a day care in Samut Prakan and I actually think it would do very well but a ton of work

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    So my MIL takes care of kids when their parents have to work ling hours.

She has done it for my wife's siblings but branched out and is doing it as a job for people in the neighborhood.

She has had one girl for almost 2 years, Soda. The mom and dad both work and they drop her off in the morning and pick her up later early evening.
    She really is like part of the family.

And she has another baby coming for her to care for in December. They are having the baby and basically handing it right to my MIL. Same deal during the day.

And I know it's a necessity that these parents wouldn't do if they could.
    But I was thinking what a bizarre situation for everyone involved.

The parents have to have their child raised by someone else.
    The child.....I don't know what they think but had to be confusing
    And my MIL and wife fall in love with a child that isn't thiers

Overall I think it's all done in a positive manner but just confusing for everyone involved
    Janice's family have live in nanny's to take care of the kids as well as other duty's, very common in those parts. One of her nanny's is well into her 60's and been with the family since before Janice was born. The other is 29 been with the family as a street kid at 13. They become part of the family if you treat them well. When my wife was young her parents lived in Switzerland for a few years while the nanny's took care of the kids back home. It was always clear who the parents were and who was the nanny. The nannies now take care of Janice's 2 kids but the kids know and love their mother.

We have friends that have nannies and both parents work long hours, the kids become more attached to the nannie than the parents in a lot of cases. That is sad.

What I'm getting at is its all how you treat the kids, don't loose still being the parent, love your kids and they will always know who the parent is.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Janice's family have live in nanny's to take care of the kids as well as other duty's, very common in those parts. One of her nanny's is well into her 60's and been with the family since before Janice was born. The other is 29 been with the family as a street kid at 13. They become part of the family if you treat them well. When my wife was young her parents lived in Switzerland for a few years while the nanny's took care of the kids back home. It was always clear who the parents were and who was the nanny. The nannies now take care of Janice's 2 kids but the kids know and love their mother.

We have friends that have nannies and both parents work long hours, the kids become more attached to the nannie than the parents in a lot of cases. That is sad.

What I'm getting at is its all how you treat the kids, don't loose still being the parent, love your kids and they will always know who the parent is.
    They know who there parent is but say in my wife's case with her son
    I think she missed vital bonding years and although they've grown closer as parent/child I don't think it will ever reach "100%" for lack of a better term to describe it.

It seems more big sister than mom, and although my stepson doesn't take advantage......I would wonder if she couldn't provide him with all the "goodies" he gets from her.....I wonder what the relationship would be like.
    I don't think it would be bad.....just different
    Almost like he is definitely reaping the benefits of her being away.

There is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to parenting.
    My MIL wasn't around much for my wife and they have the best mother-daughter relationship I've ever seen
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    A lot of people believe in the philosophy that "It takes a village to raise a child" - particularly in SEA.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    A lot of people believe in the philosophy that "It takes a village to raise a child" - particularly in SEA.
    For sure but I also think it's a much different dynamic when it's a family all chipping in vs non-family

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    probably not all that different where and when we grew up?
    one of the things i liked about LOS was it was a lot like when i was growing up.
    my little bloke is enjoying growing up in a rural village like that right now.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I thought that this was a very interesting topic for a documentary...

Why HK filmmaker is making a docu on Phl domestics | Entertainment, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com
    Nomad, Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Happens a lot in the UK as well especially if the mother has a high paying job , I know someone how has just gone back to work after taking a year out with the baby , she works in the city and earns well over £100,000 ( much more than her husband )

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    We know a few girls that work in HK as nannies but all have good bosses. The money is good around $700AUD per month including accommodation, medical, food etc . Its 6 days a week 24hrs a day but compared to the same job in Phils at $ 60 - $70AUD a month 7 days a week 24hrs a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Happens a lot in the UK as well especially if the mother has a high paying job , I know someone how has just gone back to work after taking a year out with the baby , she works in the city and earns well over £100,000 ( much more than her husband )
    One of the girls we know that works in HK as a nannie the wife doesn't work, she spends all day out with her friends spending hubbys money. High maintenances stuck up Chinese type, (Bacons next wife...55)

The kid goes nuts when the nanny has her day off on Sundays. Most the time she ends up taking the kid out with her for the day. Great day off.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I love Saturday Night/Sunday Evenning in Hong Kong...the Wan Chai clubs are full of Philippina nannies on their night off.....rrrrmmm rrrmmm

Sunday morning there are loads sat around chatting on the steps of McDonalds in Tsim Tsa Tsoi as well....they are very friendly gals...555
    OZZYGUY and Stillearly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    probably not all that different where and when we grew up?
    one of the things i liked about LOS was it was a lot like when i was growing up.
    my little bloke is enjoying growing up in a rural village like that right now.
    My dad died when I was 4yrs old
    In 2 blocks out family had 7 houses.....with my Aunts being the center of it all.
    My mom worked so after school I just went to my Aunt's

It was basically my house also in every way

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    My dad died when I was 4yrs old
    In 2 blocks out family had 7 houses.....with my Aunts being the center of it all.
    My mom worked so after school I just went to my Aunt's

It was basically my house also in every way
    Paullie from the block?

No offence, but I think I still prefer Jenny.. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    I guess it's the 2 income parents that have to do this. They don't seem to bond with the child. So why do they have them? Are they expecting the child to take care of them in their later years? In the states it's very narcissistic. All I see are helicopter parents. And both parents have jobs. They take their kids everywhere. And are involved 24/7. It's kind of annoying coming from a time when we kids left the house in the morning and came back for dinner. And then out again. These helicopter babies can't be very street smart when they hit the job market. How do they deal with rejection and failure in the real world when they find out they are not so special like Mommy and Daddy told them?
    Quarky likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I guess it's the 2 income parents that have to do this. They don't seem to bond with the child. So why do they have them? Are they expecting the child to take care of them in their later years? In the states it's very narcissistic. All I see are helicopter parents. And both parents have jobs. They take their kids everywhere. And are involved 24/7. It's kind of annoying coming from a time when we kids left the house in the morning and came back for dinner. And then out again. These helicopter babies can't be very street smart when they hit the job market. How do they deal with rejection and failure in the real world when they find out they are not so special like Mommy and Daddy told them?
    You are sort of all over the place here.....i didn't really understand why you were saying

Helicopter parents implies they are not around but then you say they take their kids everywhere?

From my experience a lot of people have kids.....the wife takes a break from work for a bit then goes back, at least part time, once the kids are school age
    I don't see the kid's being disadvantaged at all

You are sort of all over the place here.....i didn't really understand why you were saying

Helicopter parents implies they are not around but then you say they take their kids everywhere?

From my experience a lot of people have kids.....the wife takes a break from work for a bit then goes back, at least part time, once the kids are school age
    I don't see the kid's being disadvantaged at all
    Helicopter parents means they are always hovering over the kids.
    Stillearly likes this.

hel∑i∑cop∑ter par∑ent
    nouninformal
    plural noun: helicopter parents
    a parent who takes an overprotective or excessive interest in the life of their child or children.
    "some college officials see all this as the behavior of an overindulged generation, raised by helicopter parents and lacking in resilience"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast