Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MarcTwoSix

Thread: Koh Lanta

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Koh Lanta

I am sure some BM's have been here before?

How is it? Looks beautiful
    Is it "walkable" whereas you can walk around a concentrated area?

It looks like my nephew and his gf will be coming to Thailand this summer so looking for spots to go to

thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Was there 10 years ago..

Enjoyed scooting around and staying is a small resort.

But Lanta didn't have any real villages, more houses by the main road 200-500 meters inland, and resort after resort on the beach side..

Not really for 18 yo's.. Koh Phi Phi is, if you can stand all the backpackers.. 555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Was there 10 years ago..

Enjoyed scooting around and staying is a small resort.

But Lanta didn't have any real villages, more houses by the main road 200-500 meters inland, and resort after resort on the beach side..

Not really for 18 yo's.. Koh Phi Phi is, if you can stand all the backpackers.. 555
    They aren't partiers.......they like just hanging out so don't really need to worry about normal things 18yr olds are looking for

I also will need to rent villas because will be a lot of us and there are some affordable villas down there

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Is this before or after Oz ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Is this before or after Oz ?
    already said Oz is postponed because my stepson is coming to Canada and we trying to get him a tourist visa to US to meet my family
    A bit more important than me going to Oz this year

Koh Lanta trip is with my nephew and his gf, again very important to my wife to have people from my family visit her country and home and for them to hang out with Nut

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    They aren't partiers.......they like just hanging out so don't really need to worry about normal things 18yr olds are looking for

I also will need to rent villas because will be a lot of us and there are some affordable villas down there
    Just did some "walking around" with Google street view, and though Lanta has changed a lot and is now lots more developed, it's still mostly the main road that is developed and no real villages or concentration of activity..

To show people around, walking distance, I would prefer Phi Phi, Krabi, Reileigh Beach, Ao Nang is that area..

But when you say US summer holidays I would not even consider that side of Thailand, it will be full wet-season, whereas the other side, Samui, Phangan or koh Tao will still be in the dry-season..

Just did some "walking around" with Google street view, and though Lanta has changed a lot and is now lots more developed, it's still mostly the main road that is developed and no real villages or concentration of activity..

To show people around, walking distance, I would prefer Phi Phi, Krabi, Reileigh Beach, Ao Nang is that area..

But when you say US summer holidays I would not even consider that side of Thailand, it will be full wet-season, whereas the other side, Samui, Phangan or koh Tao will still be in the dry-season..
    Samui is too expensive to fly 8-9 people down, will cost me close to 2500cad.....I'd love to
    Koh Tao.............don't they kill people there?

As for walking around............with my research of Koh Lanta we'd book a villa on the beach and can walk on the beach to all types of bars/restaurants

I was looking at Krabi but that long street on the beach doesn't appeal to me because I'd prefer Krabi because easy flight
    Phuket is still an option but wouldn't stay in Patong
    Karon/Kata would be a possibility

We would do Chiang Mai and Bangkok along with whatever beach destination I decide on

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    ^ think death Island is best avoided

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    ^ think death Island is best avoided
    Yeah, my sister wouldn't appreciate her son getting killed 555

Platinum
    Samui is too expensive to fly 8-9 people down, will cost me close to 2500cad.....I'd love to
    Koh Tao.............don't they kill people there?

As for walking around............with my research of Koh Lanta we'd book a villa on the beach and can walk on the beach to all types of bars/restaurants

I was looking at Krabi but that long street on the beach doesn't appeal to me because I'd prefer Krabi because easy flight
    Phuket is still an option but wouldn't stay in Patong
    Karon/Kata would be a possibility

We would do Chiang Mai and Bangkok along with whatever beach destination I decide on
    Air Asia and nok Air is selling cheap tickets to Samui landing in Nakhon Si Thammarat or surat thani with transfer to Samui.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    Air Asia and nok Air is selling cheap tickets to Samui landing in Nakhon Si Thammarat or surat thani with transfer to Samui.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    I've done it
    It's a long day although not that bad
    The bus to ferry is pretty easy

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    I went there about 15 years ago and had a great time.
    1st thing to take into consideration is that normal passenger ferries only operate from Begining Early November to April, after that I think the only access is via the car ferry that comes in at the other side of the island (somewhere near the old town)
    The normal port is Ban Salladin which is at the top of the island.

We stayed down towards the bottom of the island, closer to the old town. But went and spent 3 days in between on the beach at the top of the island near the port.
    The old town is well worth a visit, it is like stepping back in a time warp

We enjoyed it, and was probably the most unspoilt, undeveloped part of Thailand we had visited. In saying that, I am not sure I would take 8-9 members of a family over there and then no one likes it, that would then be a not so good place to be.

I would plum for Ao Nang, it is a good base to go out and visit some of the islands on day trips, some good hotels in Ao Nang itself and enough places to eat and drink that would please everyone. Small night life area there, but also some good local beach bars as well.

If you wanted to go to Phi Phi for a day, you can catch the ferry from Ao Nang across and back.

If you were coming into Singapore or Kuala Lumpar, you can fly direct to Krabi from either airports I think as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    I went there about 15 years ago and had a great time.
    1st thing to take into consideration is that normal passenger ferries only operate from Begining Early November to April, after that I think the only access is via the car ferry that comes in at the other side of the island (somewhere near the old town)
    The normal port is Ban Salladin which is at the top of the island.

We stayed down towards the bottom of the island, closer to the old town. But went and spent 3 days in between on the beach at the top of the island near the port.
    The old town is well worth a visit, it is like stepping back in a time warp

We enjoyed it, and was probably the most unspoilt, undeveloped part of Thailand we had visited. In saying that, I am not sure I would take 8-9 members of a family over there and then no one likes it, that would then be a not so good place to be.

I would plum for Ao Nang, it is a good base to go out and visit some of the islands on day trips, some good hotels in Ao Nang itself and enough places to eat and drink that would please everyone. Small night life area there, but also some good local beach bars as well.

If you wanted to go to Phi Phi for a day, you can catch the ferry from Ao Nang across and back.

If you were coming into Singapore or Kuala Lumpar, you can fly direct to Krabi from either airports I think as well.
    Krabi is definitely a consideration

And considering we will flying up to Chiang Mai doing less travelling by just staying in Krabi is attractive

The main thing is I wanted a place where the kids can just walk out and do their own thing when wanted and Ko Lanta had that

And it now may be just 5 of us because every will be working

With just 5 we can do just two hotel rooms but I still prefer a villa with private pool.

I found one on the beach but 20mins from Ao Bang

Will keep looking

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Krabi is definitely a consideration

And considering we will flying up to Chiang Mai doing less travelling by just staying in Krabi is attractive

The main thing is I wanted a place where the kids can just walk out and do their own thing when wanted and Ko Lanta had that

And it now may be just 5 of us because every will be working

With just 5 we can do just two hotel rooms but I still prefer a villa with private pool.

I found one on the beach but 20mins from Ao Bang

Will keep looking
    If you stayed up the top end of the island near the main port, you would be able to do that, but the farther you go down the island, the less the options are for doing that.
    Where we stayed towards the bottom of the island, when the tide was out, we could cut across the back of our building through where the water normally was and walk down the next beach to a few bars, during the day not much going on, but they opened up at night.
    Whereas at the top of the island, there was a small bar area on the beach that where some of them opened during the day, plus plenty of places to eat
    Beach at the top of the Island is Klong Dao
    https://amazinglanta.com/klong-dao-beach-koh-lanta/

The place we stayed at is towards the bottom of the island, but as I said, it was not so busy down that end. It is at the end of Klong Kong Beach
    Lanta Palace Resort & Beach Club

Here is a good map of the island and some of the things to look for
    Ko Lanta Map - Kantiang BayKantiang Bay

If I was in your shoes, I would go with Ao Nang, it is the safer option if people do not like where you are going

the thing about Ao Nang is I don't like that long beach road set up

I like more of a square like Lamai/Hua Hin........if you guys understand what I mean

Are there any suggestions like those places in Thailand to try out?

thanks

If we did Krabi I think I would do this beachfront villa a bit away from Ao Nang for 3 days then a hotel right in Ao Nang for 2 days

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/13101542...k#host-profile

If we did Krabi I think I would do this beachfront villa a bit away from Ao Nang for 3 days then a hotel right in Ao Nang for 2 days

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/13101542...k#host-profile
    Looks great! Hire a longtail boat for the duration...

Looks great! Hire a longtail boat for the duration...
    Great idea!
    I emailed the owner to ask about the surrounding area

All the reviews mention a restaurant across the road but they are tourists

If it has a bunch of small local Thai restaurants, street stalls and such..........I'd be more than happy to stay out there

It's similar to where my nephew and I just stayed in Costa Rica
    We were about 25mins from town in a very local area and loved it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dupree and Stillearly like this.

Great idea!
    I emailed the owner to ask about the surrounding area

All the reviews mention a restaurant across the road but they are tourists

If it has a bunch of small local Thai restaurants, street stalls and such..........I'd be more than happy to stay out there

It's similar to where my nephew and I just stayed in Costa Rica
    We were about 25mins from town in a very local area and loved it
    looks great, but a bit snobbish for my liking.. 55

Google maps shows many resorts and a few beach villages down south, and estuary with kayaking a bit north, plenty of small islands right in front of you (Thai beach pick-nick?),
    If you rent a long-tail, I think Ao nang would be about 1 hour, Phang Na bay a bit more..

Plenty to explore!

looks great, but a bit snobbish for my liking.. 55

Google maps shows many resorts and a few beach villages down south, and estuary with kayaking a bit north, plenty of small islands right in front of you (Thai beach pick-nick?),
    If you rent a long-tail, I think Ao nang would be about 1 hour, Phang Na bay a bit more..

Plenty to explore!
    Yeah I basically just drove around the streets on google maps!! 555

Plenty of local Thai places to keep us happy