Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 2 Post By Moo Uaon

Thread: Highway constuction

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Highway constuction

Highways in Thailand are in a constant state of upkeep and new construction. Maybe some of the roads were never built properly in the first place, but does seem to be a difference from location to location. I just got back from a 400 km return trip between Chiang Mai and Phan. There was fresh construction in many places.

Highway 118 is the main route between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, and the popular border crossing at MaeSai. It is a very busy route with lots of busses and trucks... and the constant stream of silver vans taking people for their border-run.

After you leave Doi Saket, (20 km north of Chiang Mai) the highway climbs into the mountains and goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes, but with frequent 3 lane sections for passing. That has improved over the 15 years I've been traveling the route. Maybe because I've done the trip so many times it doesn't seem a hassle.

I do the trip very often on my motorbike to see Pui, and see the steady changes. Right now there is a LOT of construction right near the mountain summit. They are REALLY widening the highway. It should improve the "passing" to get around slow moving vehicles, but that never seemed to bother me once I started riding a motorbike that is powerful enough to pass.

I have two routes I take to get to Phan. One is about 15 km shorter than the other, but it has more busses, trucks and vans, and is not so enjoyable. That is the main route on hwy 118.

I prefer to take the longer, more scenic route on hwy 120 over to the main, north-south hwy AH2 between Bangkok and MaeSai. There is not much traffic on hwy 120 and the road winds up over a mountain in big sweeping curves great for a bike. The only annoyance is when you reach hwy AH2 and go through the city of Phayao where there are 8 unsynchronized lights that hold up traffic for a minute at each one... zoom-stop, zoom-stop, zoom-stop.

Once free of Phayao it is no holds barred and you can weave your way through traffic on the 4 lane divided highway at any speed.... But WHOOPS, more highway construction in places and not fun on two wheels where they make deep grooves in the road in the fresh gravel. It doesn't feel safe when the bike is wobbling down the road. That seems to be a common occurrence in Thailand.

I have roughly planned to ride down to Kanchanaburi next week, but I'm wondering what the highway construction will be like. They often divert all traffic from one side of the divided highway to rebuild the other side. At that point the traffic comes to a standstill that you can't even get past on a motorbike.
    Hatari likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    118 was the race track in my back yard.
    use to jump on the big bike and ride to the Pang Faen resort along the road for a nice cold drink next to the river then hoon back home. 70km round trip...nice!

some interesting places off to the south towards mae on too...

Last edited by Moo Uaon; 18th November 2017 at 05:06.
    Minder and Ian Forbes like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    118 was the race track in my back yard.
    use to jump on the big bike and ride to the Pang Faen resort along the road for a nice cold drink next to the river then hoon back home. 70km round trip...nice!

some interesting places off to the north towards mae on too...

That has always been the beauty of Thailand for me. No matter how many times you take the same route there always seems to be somewhere new to visit... IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO EXPLORE.

If you are on a bus or plane it's just going from point A to point B. If you are in a car, truck or van, and the highway is busy, you are stuck in a traffic jam and hate to lose your place in the lineup.