• 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By retdent
  • 2 Post By Rockitt
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob
  • 1 Post By retdent

Thread: Chiang Mai city center was not designed or built for modern traffic

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Chiang Mai city center was not designed or built for modern traffic

I don't like to complain because I don't have anything to actually complain about. I don't have any set schedule for anything, and I can come and go as I please.... but. Over the past 15 years of spending the winter months in Chiang Mai I have seen the gradual, and very often rapid changes in traffic. Each year it gets worse and I can't see any logical solution for improvement... except maybe for a few small suggestions.

Just riding around the city in the middle of the day it seemed like every narrow soi was plugged with parked vehicles. And, the traffic wasn't even heavy at that time of day. But, parked vehicles on narrow sois turn every route into a traffic jam in any kind of traffic. And, in many parts of the city there are no restrictions where you can, or can't park. At least in parts near the heart of the city, and near the Nimmanheman area, there are restrictions on which side you can park on. But, on many other sois the Thais just park anywhere they please... on both sides of the narrow roads.

Last night was a good example. I was sitting at an outside café when a huge traffic jam occurred that took over 40 minutes to clear. All because one stupid fuck decided to park his silver van near a very busy intersection and it quickly caused a traffic jam.

Viang Ping road, that circles the south side of the city, is VERY busy at supper time. Add a couple of tour busses servicing a nearby hotel, one huge transport truck and everything came to a dead halt. of course, there was not a cop in sight to direct traffic. There were lots of Thai onlookers who actually walked down to see what the problem was. I even gave some thought to directing traffic... but found it more amusing than anything. Most people thought it had to be an accident, but it was just the stupid van parked where it shouldn't be.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    And that is why I walk everywhere 5555

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    And that is why I walk everywhere 5555
    Sometimes, walking is faster. I walked in from the airport when I first arrived because it was Loi krathong festival and all taxis were booked solid. Traffic was at a stand still.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Ummm......you actually complain a lot Forbes 5555

And it's a developing country

That doesn't mean it isn't frustrating
    I was in Phuket and the traffic is putting me off heading down there again even though I'd like to

Same in HH

But traffic is getting worse everywhere I go

My hood in Boston is horrible
    Vancouver is super congested

Too much building and no infrastructure to handle it

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    simple answer...ban trucks and cars inside the city gates from 8pm-5am....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    even in the worst traffic around there i have no problem getting through it on a PCX....sidewalks etc

TG's comment....you ride like teenage boy
    justcruzing1, Ian Forbes and Cuzzy like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    even in the worst traffic around there i have no problem getting through it on a PCX....sidewalks etc

TG's comment....you ride like teenage boy
    I don't own a car in downtown Vancouver
    I use the car sharing ZipCar when I need a car

Sometimes they have a MiniCooper and Ao hates when I rent one of those
    She says I drive like an asshole like I am trying to drive like in Italian Job 555

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Ummm......you actually complain a lot Forbes 5555
    You are right. I complain a lot about everything and never say anything positive.

Everyone loves each other and there is no corruption anywhere.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    You are right. I complain a lot about everything and never say anything positive.

I'm surprised to see you advocating more rules and regulations (which here wont be enforced!) 555!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post

Not saying you aren't right
    I complain all the fxuking time about everything 5555

Just that you actually do like to complain a lot also!!!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Increased traffic is just a fact of life in most Cites as the number of vehicle's grow far faster than the infrastructure. Especially in older cities and inner Cities where there is not room to widen roads or create new roads.
    Part of my working day is spent in my car and even though I try and schedule my trips to out of peak hours. One accident or bad weather and a 30 minute drive can turn in to a 90 minute crawl. The only consolation being that I am getting paid to sit in traffic 555
    I get to work at 6AM even though I am only scheduled to start at 7AM just to get a less congested drive in to the office.

So if you are in a possession to schedule your day to travel outside of peak hours, just be thankful for small mercies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    I'm surprised to see you advocating more rules and regulations (which here wont be enforced!) 555!
    I've said many times, Zab, that some of the things I might complain about are also the very things I enjoy about the country... the lack of any consistency with laws, rules and regulations. There is sort of a lawlessness about the country that I enjoy....

Speed limits? Who cares about speed limits? Until you get caught for speeding of course. Riding and driving in the oncoming lane? Who cares about that? Passing on double lines? That's no bother... unless a string of silver vans coming the other way are doing the same thing. Red lights? Why stop if there are a few vehicles ahead of you also going through against a red light. Driving the wrong way on a divided highway? No matter, just dodge the vehicles coming at you. You've got a big truck. They have to get out of your way. 555

Going on the number of new service (gasoline)stations popping up all over the place, the traffic situation will only worsen. PTT, I am sure are only catering for more cars.

Grey vans and black pickups should be banned. 55.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Lots of vacant land that could be used for multi-level parking lots. Even main thoroughfares are plugged with parked busses and vans.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Just imagine how bad things would be if all the motorbike owners decided to trade them in for cars. 555
    PeteGill and Ian Forbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    Just imagine how bad things would be if all the motorbike owners decided to trade them in for cars. 555
    They did, during the Yingluck tax back scheme.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    They still are; hence more new service stations popping up everywhere. Motor bike will still be the fastest way to get around.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

If the traffic is not too bad and at a stand-still, it is kind of fun weaving in and out of the traffic. But, Chiang Mai still hasn't figured out how it is going to solve all the problems caused by private vehicles parked on narrow roads.