Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Savage Soi Dogs

Cadet Gold

Savage Soi Dogs

What to do?

I hear you can get arrested if you dare to defend yourself from them, in these Snowflake, PC days.

So, do you carry a stick - or a few hotdog sausages?

Terrorise, or befriend, them?

There's SURELY a solution to this problem (ain't there?).

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    How savage can they be?

I've been coming to Thailand for 15 years............I had my German Shepherd move with me to Phuket for almost 2 years

They would bark when walking with him but that's all

Out of the 4 or 5 aggressive dogs in 15 years that made any movement, I just lurched forward and they scurried
    BunnyGee likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    How savage can they be?
    Perhaps it's your confidence they sense.

Maybe I exude an aura which makes me appear to be a postman (or a meal on legs).

Like you, i used to walk with impunity but on one occasion I was with my daughter when a particularly large and aggressive brute menaced us. I think he reacted to her fear and despite my equally aggressive response towards him, actually carried through his attack and I was bitten a few times, quite severely before its owner arrived and brought him back under control.

Since then, I guess my nervousness is sensed by the beasts and I have even been attacked whilst driving a motorbike and even , on more than one occasion, returning home in a tuk-tuk FFS.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    the vast majority of soi and beach dogs I come across are usually all bark and no bite...and they will calm once they get near you provided you stand still and say a few kind words (I do it in Thai..no idea if that helps...I thinks it's just the timbre and easiness of the voice I use)..

I've never had an issue with any dogs in Thailand but I don't lean down to them or put out a hand until I am very sure that they are in a "good and happy place" with me...I have quite a few favourites in various spots around the island and they all seem to remember me, as I do them..it can be very rewarding if you take the time to "meet" and "greet" them well

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyGee View Post
    Perhaps it's your confidence they sense.

Maybe I exude an aura which makes me appear to be a postman (or a meal on legs).

Like you, i used to walk with impunity but on one occasion I was with my daughter when a particularly large and aggressive brute menaced us. I think he reacted to her fear and despite my equally aggressive response towards him, actually carried through his attack and I was bitten a few times, quite severely before its owner arrived and brought him back under control.

Since then, I guess my nervousness is sensed by the beasts and I have even been attacked whilst driving a motorbike and even , on more than one occasion, returning home in a tuk-tuk FFS.
    Well I was pretty on high alert with my dog..........I'd be on triple alert if I was with my small child, for sure!

So if a dog attacked you with your daughter, I can see your concern going forward

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post

I've never had an issue with any dogs in Thailand but I don't lean down to them or put out a hand until I am very sure that they are in a "good and happy place" with me...I have quite a few favourites in various spots around the island and they all seem to remember me, as I do them..it can be very rewarding if you take the time to "meet" and "greet" them well
    Ao yells at me all the time because I've gotten snipped at close to 15x trying to pat one 555

It's just a natural reflex for me

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Ao yells at me all the time because I've gotten snipped at close to 15x trying to pat one 555

It's just a natural reflex for me
    Just realizing many of these soi dogs carry rabies may deter you a bit..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Just realizing many of these soi dogs carry rabies may deter you a bit..
    You don't know my infinity for dogs..................it will never deter me

Stupid action or not
    I also don't go right in.........I am pretty careful but still get nipped

I see your infinity and raise you an affinity... 55

I have only ever been attacked by dogs outside of Thailand... lucky for me...
    Nomad and Hatari like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cycling, chased but not bitten; times I've stopped and walked when there's been enough of them that I felt it was too risky to keep pedalling.
    My preference for riding in the hottest hours helps, 10am to 3pm they'll often be dozing in the shade, or a half-hearted bark. Areas we don't cycle though, rubber plantations and orchards will have what are basically guard dogs roaming, just don't go there.
    There's a Chinese cemetery set on a hillside I'm cautious about, sneaky dogs out from behind the gravestones, on the motorbike it's just the same, dogs coming in from both sides.
    Cycle group i regularly ride with, more dangerous at times if a dog gets in amongst the group; threat of throwing something, squirt with a water bottle, or a good shout usually works. Once a rider took an aerosol airhorn (as used to start races), dog was dazed but so were we, scrap that idea. Twice we've had dogs so intent on chasing cyclists that they were run over by cars, messy business the one that got caught under the front spoiler of a car.

There's a route out of Chan city to Tha Chalaep that's a favourite for after-work cyclists but also a popular dumping ground for strays that became a real problem; a recent clean-up and signs not to dump, or feed, has solved it temporarily at least
    Last edited by Hatari; 3rd February 2018 at 08:36. Reason: Typo
    Tingtong likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Cycling, chased but not bitten; times I've stopped and walked when there's been enough of them that I felt it was too risky to keep pedalling.
    My preference for riding in the hottest hours helps, 10am to 3pm they'll often be dozing in the shade, or a half-hearted bark. Areas we don't cycle though, rubber plantations and orchards will have what are basically guard dogs roaming, just don't go there.
    There's a Chinese cemetery set on a hillside I'm cautious about, sneaky dogs out from behind the gravestones, on the motorbike it's just the same, dogs coming in from both sides.
    Cycle group i regularly ride with, more dangerous at times if a dog gets in amongst the group; threat of throwing something, squirt with a water bottle, or a good shout usually works. Once a rider took an aerosol airhorn (as used to start races), dog was dazed but so we're we, scrap that idea. Twice we've had dogs so intent on chasing cyclists that they were run over by cars, messy business the one that got caught under the front spoiler of a car.
    There's a route out of Chan city to Tha Chalaep that's a favourite for after-work cyclists but also a popular dumping ground for strays that became a real problem; a recent clean-up and signs not to dump, or feed, has solved it temporarily at least

If I was in charge I'd have culling days whereby the local cops/army could ride around and just shoot any dog not behind a gate.

I'd drive up and down the sois and just shoot the beasts, leaving their owners to clean up the mess.

Not caged?

Dead.

No appeal.

See you again, next week.

They'd soon get the message (the owners. not the dead dogs).

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I see your infinity and raise you an affinity... 55

I have only ever been attacked by dogs outside of Thailand... lucky for me...
    But I will love dogs to infinity!!! 5555
    Quarky likes this.

Banned
    What to do?

I hear you can get arrested if you dare to defend yourself from them, in these Snowflake, PC days.

So, do you carry a stick - or a few hotdog sausages?

Terrorise, or befriend, them?

There's SURELY a solution to this problem (ain't there?).
    You won't get arrested for defending yourself from an attack.

I take the part Thai guy approach, terrorise. The full Thai guy approach is to terrorise, kill and eat them, and a lot of Thai's believe other dogs can smell that you have eaten dog before and don't mess with you.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    You won't get arrested for defending yourself from an attack.

I take the part Thai guy approach, terrorise. The full Thai guy approach is to terrorise, kill and eat them, and a lot of Thai's believe other dogs can smell that you have eaten dog before and don't mess with you.
    I have eaten dog before, not half a mile from where he lives, so that didn't work. Maybe I should order it rare instead of medium, next time.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Banned
    An old lady was attacked fairly badly in a nearby area, a group of the men in the area got together and went on culling spree of soi dogs. Shot, clubbed and hacked to death over 30 dogs in a rather small area.

There are heaps of soi dogs around my area that no one owns as such but any that acts aggressive are quickly killed (often eaten also) the local community has zero tolerance for any aggressive dogs.

Basically if a dog bites someone it will be killed by the locals.

Banned
    I have eaten dog before, not half a mile from where he lives, so that didn't work. Maybe I should order it rare instead of medium, next time.
    Yeah I don't think the science holds up personally 555, but it's what the locals guys believe. I think it's more to do with the terrorising and cruel things that they do to dogs that has more effect.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Generally the dogs are ok with me. My only bad experience came when one chased me up a bridge in Bangkok at around 5am. I've seen plenty bark and snap at locals though.

I read a thread over on TV where a guy was describing some dogs terrorising some locals on Koh Chang. Sounded pretty nasty.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I've never had a bad experience with dogs anywhere I've visited in LOS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I've never had a bad experience with dogs anywhere I've visited in LOS
    Yeah...the Dwarves chase 'em away...555
    PeteGill likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Yeah...the Dwarves chase 'em away...555
    never go home without one
    Quarky, PeteGill and bacwaan like this.