Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Favorite type of hotel in Thailand

  1. #21
    Cadet silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    170
    When I first started traveling around upcountry Thailand (1970 onwards), I considered a room with a sole user sit-down dunny and a decent workbench to be luxury.

    Since then I have stayed in a few hundred hotels around Thailand and now look for good deals on 4 star places.

  2. #22
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,228
    I like smaller hotels if possible , my favourites were the Casuarina ( demolished after Tsunami ) and the Salathai ( demolished also two years ago ) - once you have stayed with them a couple of times the staff all knew your name , they also treated their staff well , so they had a very low turnover , as soon as you returned it was smiles and welcome back - close enough to the action and beach to walk , plus nice pools

    similar for me with the Intimate Hotel in Patts and before that the Diana Inn ( currently being demolished ... is there a theme running though this .. )

    Do the Nana and Grace count as historic hotels ... 555 I stayed at both many times over the years , but these days would look for something like the Darwin , Citadines price bracket
    Quarky and bacwaan like this.

  3. #23
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I like smaller hotels if possible , my favourites were the Casuarina ( demolished after Tsunami ) and the Salathai ( demolished also two years ago ) - once you have stayed with them a couple of times the staff all knew your name , they also treated their staff well , so they had a very low turnover , as soon as you returned it was smiles and welcome back - close enough to the action and beach to walk , plus nice pools

    similar for me with the Intimate Hotel in Patts and before that the Diana Inn ( currently being demolished ... is there a theme running though this .. )

    Do the Nana and Grace count as historic hotels ... 555 I stayed at both many times over the years , but these days would look for something like the Darwin , Citadines price bracket
    Honestly I do think Nana and the Grace hotel count as historic
    Same as that Miami hotel on Suk

    Can you imagine the stuff those walls have seen
    I'd imagine drug deals, CIA shit

    All kinds of things

    I'd never stay in the Nana but I have fond memories of that old diner they had in the lobby

    And even that old dated lobby with all sorts of oddfellows hanging about had it's weird charm

  4. #24
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,228
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Honestly I do think Nana and the Grace hotel count as historic
    Same as that Miami hotel on Suk

    Can you imagine the stuff those walls have seen
    I'd imagine drug deals, CIA shit

    All kinds of things

    I'd never stay in the Nana but I have fond memories of that old diner they had in the lobby

    And even that old dated lobby with all sorts of oddfellows hanging about had it's weird charm
    I wouldnt like to take a UV light into the bedrooms anyway ....
    Quarky, bacwaan and BunnyGee like this.

  5. #25
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I wouldnt like to take a UV light into the bedrooms anyway ....
    even a CSI team would have no chance of sorting that lot out...
    BunnyGee likes this.

  6. #26
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Honestly I do think Nana and the Grace hotel count as historic
    Same as that Miami hotel on Suk

    Can you imagine the stuff those walls have seen
    I'd imagine drug deals, CIA shit

    All kinds of things

    I'd never stay in the Nana but I have fond memories of that old diner they had in the lobby

    And even that old dated lobby with all sorts of oddfellows hanging about had it's weird charm
    The thiing is, the Nana is a shit-hole.

    Due to an arrogance on the part of its owners who (correctly) assume it's mere location (and name) are enough to guarantee continued business.

    I stayed there a few times over the decades and saw it go downhill.

    I'll not be back unless it undergoes a full refurb and staff/management clear-out.

  7. #27
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,935
    ^ Only time I ever went into The Nana was to go to Angels and later on Liquid Nightclubs...some top totty FLs would get in there...

    My favourite night in Angels was when I sat with, danced with, shared a bottle of vodka with, then went home with, two gorgeous gals who told me they worked in Kassikorn Bank on the SUK...I thought they were pulling my leg

    anyway next morning after a FAB night of bedroom gymnastics I awoke to giggling coming from the bathroom...I tried to go in to see what was so funny but they had locked the door...and the laughter got even louder..sure enough when they eventually opened the door there they stood in full Kassikorn uniforms with green blazers, tight blouses, mini skirts and scarves around their necks...oh, they had shoes and pantyhose on as well but they didn't last long...555

  8. #28
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,935
    ^ I tell a lie...I have also been in the carpark once or twice.....
    Minder and Rivo like this.

  9. #29
    Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Cheap but not nasty.
    Some of the guesthouse places are good value.
    This one @ 500 baht/night is one of my favourites...nice family that run it.



    Ban Na Wiang, Nan.

  10. #30
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,932
    ^ must say I miss the place.... mainly the journey there though.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  11. #31
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ must say I miss the place.... mainly the journey there though.
    I'm looking for a place in Maine, New Hampshire or Rhode Island for the weekend after 4th of July

    A place like that would be 400usd/nt!
    Wish it was LOS prices 555

  12. #32
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    Ban Na Wiang, Nan.
    They got a website, Nora?

  13. #33
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,646
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^ Only time I ever went into The Nana was to go to Angels and later on Liquid Nightclubs...some top totty FLs would get in there...

    My favourite night in Angels was when I sat with, danced with, shared a bottle of vodka with, then went home with, two gorgeous gals who told me they worked in Kassikorn Bank on the SUK...I thought they were pulling my leg

    anyway next morning after a FAB night of bedroom gymnastics I awoke to giggling coming from the bathroom...I tried to go in to see what was so funny but they had locked the door...and the laughter got even louder..sure enough when they eventually opened the door there they stood in full Kassikorn uniforms with green blazers, tight blouses, mini skirts and scarves around their necks...oh, they had shoes and pantyhose on as well but they didn't last long...555
    I am beginning to better understand the concept of "seasoning" now... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  14. #34
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,803
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Honestly I do think Nana and the Grace hotel count as historic
    Same as that Miami hotel on Suk

    Can you imagine the stuff those walls have seen
    I'd imagine drug deals, CIA shit

    All kinds of things

    I'd never stay in the Nana but I have fond memories of that old diner they had in the lobby

    And even that old dated lobby with all sorts of oddfellows hanging about had it's weird charm


    Speaking of old hotels, I came across a really cool post over on Bangkok Addicts forum which showed some old pics of the Bangkok nightlife areas. I thought I'd copy the section on hotels for your viewing pleasure. That hotel Miami actually looks pretty nice. Well the pool area anyway. Credit to atlaspopvic.

    [quote name="atlaspopovic" post="93717" timestamp="1510107802"]Part 2: Hotels

    The hotels are the most prominent features from the late 60s and early 70s. This was where the soliders lived and took their girls to. Before these were built Bangkok had very few hotels and very few tourists. Many of these hotels are demolished and the few left in original shape are disappearing each year.


    Honey Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 19 is/was a hotel in great GI-era shape. Unfortunately is closed down just this year.


    Miami Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 13 was built in 1965 and was of the most popular hotels among the Gis. The current owner (daughter of the founder) is proud of the hotels heritage and keeps it the way it has always been. It is my go-to hotel in Bangkok - Great price, great location, clean, nice pool and guest friendly. Give it a try!


    Hotel Swan was also built in 1965 and hasenīt changed much since. Iīve stayd here once and was more then happy with it. The location is great if you like the old town being near the Chao Praya. Donīt know if itīs guest friendly but since a room costs 1000 baht/night it is great value either way.


    Nana Hotels interior has changed much since the 60s but what goes on inside its rooms is pretty much the same today. It was located next to the american R&R-office so it was really popular among the soldiers.[/quote]
    Quarky, bacwaan and Hatari like this.

  15. #35
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,361
    I was actually going to mention Honey Hotel

    Man when that was built it was probably the outskirts of the area

    Because even 15yrs ago on my 1st trip I stayed at Westin hotel and sure it was built up but Soi 19 almost felt like the end of Suk area even then
    With the exception of Soi Cowboy and Washington Square

  16. #36
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,932
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyGee View Post
    They got a website, Nora?
    Nah... we Always call to book a room.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  17. #37
    Platinum Mate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    We've had chats on this in threads but never a thread dedicated to the subject

    And there is obviously no wrong answer.....
    People have different tastes

    My favorite type of hotel in Thailand is the older 5 star hotels
    A grand lobby, lots of teak and plush carpets
    Even a bit dated.....
    And a tropical pool setting
    Oh and the service is impeccable because a lot of time staff has worked there for a long time vs new 5 star hotels who have new hires out of University who sometimes think a bit of themselves

    I'd say Shangri-La and Royal Orchid Sheraton fit that type of hotel

    I'd take them over a brand new flashy 5 star hotel
    I agree with you Marc. I like a grande lobby with chandeliers and all that extravagance. These days I travel with my family and we use the hotel facilities allot and a good pool and gym etc is important for us. The Shangri_La for me is one of the best 5 star options in BKK. We always spend a few night there when in town. My wifes friend works for Marriott and always gets a deals on all of the Marriott properties so we stay there as well. When I was traveling solo I would stay in more budget digs and enjoyed that as well.

  18. #38
    Cadet silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I was actually going to mention Honey Hotel

    Man when that was built it was probably the outskirts of the area

    Because even 15yrs ago on my 1st trip I stayed at Westin hotel and sure it was built up but Soi 19 almost felt like the end of Suk area even then
    With the exception of Soi Cowboy and Washington Square
    I think the Honey might date back to the 50s. Like most hotels in Bangkok, it had a surge during the Vietnam War. During the mid 70s to mid 80s it was the hangout for oilfield hands on leave from working in the Middle East, particularly seismic personnel. I knew a lot of them and even went to a wedding there once. All those guys drank (and fraternised) at the Joker Club on the corner of Soi 19 (now Robinson) and ate at the Cock and Bull Restaurant downstairs. There was a bar in Soi 19 (can't remember the name) owned by Sherry Ann Duncan's parents. The sensational developments around her murder in the mid 80s did not do the soi any good from a publicity view point.

    If the Honey was fully booked, the default hotel was the Federal on Soi 11. The Rex Hotel between Soi 34 and 36 was also very busy during the 70-80s.

    During the 80s a lot of resident expats drank at the Dead Painter bars in Soi 33 but most of them have closed now. There a heaps of yuppy bars/restaurants in Thonglor so I cannot really agree with the idea that Sukhumvit finished at Soi 19 15 years ago.

  19. #39
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,646
    My first hotel in Thailand... felt old then... 55

    Woraburi, Sukhumvit soi 4.

    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  20. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    907
    I always liked the Chedi hotels and Six senses resorts in Thailand, modern but with a nice touch. The Chedi in Chiang Mai was a great hotel but I believe its changed ownership.

    And the view from the Six senses restaurant in Koh Samui is amazing at sunset.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •