Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Favorite type of hotel in Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Favorite type of hotel in Thailand

We've had chats on this in threads but never a thread dedicated to the subject

And there is obviously no wrong answer.....
    People have different tastes

My favorite type of hotel in Thailand is the older 5 star hotels
    A grand lobby, lots of teak and plush carpets
    Even a bit dated.....
    And a tropical pool setting
    Oh and the service is impeccable because a lot of time staff has worked there for a long time vs new 5 star hotels who have new hires out of University who sometimes think a bit of themselves

I'd say Shangri-La and Royal Orchid Sheraton fit that type of hotel

I'd take them over a brand new flashy 5 star hotel

I tend to prefer more modern, stylish type hotels...5-stars if possible, with large rooms. My go-to hotel in Phuket is BYD Lofts. I like a nice pool as well but I have yet to find this total combo in a gf hotel with no joiner fee.

Quote Originally Posted by luvinpatong View Post
    I tend to prefer more modern, stylish type hotels...5-stars if possible, with large rooms. My go-to hotel in Phuket is BYD Lofts. I like a nice pool as well but I have yet to find this total combo in a gf hotel with no joiner fee.
    Not as slick as BYD Lofts, but last time in Patong I stayed at The Surf and Holiday Inn Express
    Both great pools and nice rooms

I don't know about GF, if I has to guess.............The Surf is gf, HIE possibly not

I find I get to a certain point and then spending even more doesn't really add too much to the experience... I really like the Sea Me Spring Hotels in Pattaya... and for me, anything over the threshold of my basic needs... doesn't add that much...

Basic needs...

Clean!
    Pool on roof overlooking the sea
    Reasonable Wifi
    Comfy bed
    Desk for laptop
    Roomy bathroom and bath
    Fridge
    Kettle
    Quiet carpet-laid hallway so no noisy people walking around tap, tap, tapping all night... 55

So 3 or 4 star hotels suit me fine.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet Gold
    Is this the thread wherein the pompous get to sneer at their definition of "Cheap Charlies"?
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyGee View Post
    Is this the thread wherein the pompous get to sneer at their definition of "Cheap Charlies"?
    I feel like a cheap Charlie... a week in a 3 or 4 star hotel in Pattaya is often about the same as one night in the equivalent back in the UK...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I feel like a cheap Charlie... a week in a 3 or 4 star hotel in Pattaya is often about the same as one night in the equivalent back in the UK...
    But that's because you're still in "UK mode".

When in LOS I switch my brain into Baht mode and try not to compare LOS prices to UK prices (because LOS is not the UK).

Otherwise, I'd never be able to tip anyone as little as 20bt for their service.

But that's because you're still in "UK mode".

When in LOS I switch my brain into Baht mode and try not to compare LOS prices to UK prices (because LOS is not the UK).

Otherwise, I'd never be able to tip anyone as little as 20bt for their service.
    But I like to stay in "US/Canada mode" when looking at hotels because it allows me to feel like I am getting a good deal

I usually use 300cad/nt as my limit for a hotel, well like to.........that's everywhere not just SEA
    So if I am thinking in "CAD mode" a 185-200cad feels like a deal

I will go to 400cad/nt if something is really special but then try to average down with my other hotels I booked for that holiday

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Cheap but not nasty.
    Some of the guesthouse places are good value.
    This one @ 500 baht/night is one of my favourites...nice family that run it.

Quarky, OzzyDamo and OZZYGUY like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    It is a matter of horses for course with me....

Back when I was a teenager coming here with my parents as a stopover on the way from AUS to UK we stayed at joints like the Oriental and the Hyatt..beautiful old world colonial hotels where you felt a real sense of history and the exotic..

a few years and visits after that as a backpacker me and my mates would stay in the cheapest cockroach ridden rooms we coud find...usually still down by the river though

Fast forward to when I had a reasonably successful business, expense account and wife, it was back to te 5 star joints..she loved the Oriental and Peninsular..we had great holidays at the Chedi and Banyan Tree hotels in Phuket as well...but when we went our separate ways I was happy to stay with my dive buddies in in 3 star joints in Phuket...and after a while I found the Mai Thai Bar. a whole lot of friends and the Sumer Breeze which was my regular spot for many years before I came to live in Phuket...

I'm not much of a Pattaya guy but I have never stayed in a 5 star there...it was always over in Jomthien, The Areca and in later time the Sea Me Group..nice, decent sized modern minimalist rooms, some with sea views and all with huge working benches...

I probably favour more boutique places now....used to be the Darwin until I just couldn't take Soi 4 anymore and then Frazer Suites in BKK...the chains do nothing for me...but I do still sneak back to the Oriental patio every now again for a meal or a cocktail
    Last edited by bacwaan; 15th March 2018 at 07:25.
    Quarky likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But I like to stay in "US/Canada mode" when looking at hotels because it allows me to feel like I am getting a good deal

I usually use 300cad/nt as my limit for a hotel, well like to.........that's everywhere not just SEA
    So if I am thinking in "CAD mode" a 185-200cad feels like a deal

I will go to 400cad/nt if something is really special but then try to average down with my other hotels I booked for that holiday
    If I pay a thousand Baht a night, I consider I've been mugged.

If I pay a thousand Baht a night, I consider I've been mugged.
    And there's nothing wrong with that at all
    A holiday is about enjoying yourself
    People have different tastes and also different ideas of what a holiday should be

There really is no wrong answer

When I travel for business I can stay in pretty much any hotel I choose
    But I do Priceline and Hotwire and pick the cheapest 4 star hotel with a good rating near where I need to be
    Because I am at the hotel for about about 2-3 awake all day

But when I am holiday I make the hotel a huge part of it
    I spend a ton of time at the pool
    I eat and drink at the restaurants and I like to relax and read in my room or catch up on work/news before heading out

It's also a lot easier to choose moderate hotels in SEA because there are so many good ones for the value

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I usually go for the more modern ones. Nice large flat screen TV, comfy sofa/chair and ones with a decent amount of sink space too. Gym is also a must if I'm staying more than 3 days.

In Chiang Mai though I tend to prefer the simpler Thai style ones like Raming Lodge. Love that place, the design of the hotel with the open air section in the middle, the singer out front ect.

Have had a good good experience at Novotel on Sukhumvit 20 (4 Star) where I've stayed twice. That's probably the limit for me though spending wise. I wouldn't spend 5-10k a night for a hotel. St that point my mindset is "that's a barfine and short time right there plus change".

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ Forgot that I used to like the Novotel at Siam Square back when I was doing a lot of stopovers in BKK (about 10-15 years ago)...fly up to BKK Friday afternoon from Sydney, arrive at hotel around 11.30pm..hit the CM2 Nightclub in the basement there for a couple of hours, find a nice FL and then head on back up to my room for a session and sleep...Saturday night was usually Q Bar and Bed Supper and then around midnight on Sunday take my flight to europe (normally Barcelona. London or Milan) and arrive the next morning ready to do business...ah, those were the days..555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I stay in the cheaper end most of the time, I like this type because it just seams lay back no stress type, if I make some noise dosnt seam to bother other guests, plus a lot of the time I have my mountain bike and some of the flash places dont like a muddy mountain bike in the room or lifts. I dont spend much time at the hotel its just for sleeping for me and storing my shit.

Of coarse the price helps as I travel alot, even now im back at work im find myself staying in cheaper places and work is paying.

I feel a bit uncomfortable in the really flash places, dont know why. In my past life my wife would always book that type of accomadation.

In Bangkok Dawin is my go to hotel, pool on the roof, midle of the combat zone, and good coffee all at a realistic price. Dawin is about as expensive as I stay.
    PeteGill likes this.

Cadet silver
    I like the 4-5* Dream Hotel in Bkk. Good location. Nice room. Clean. Great Breakfast etc etc.

Though, for half/a third of the price, I quite like a good boutique hotel. My fave of which is the 247 Boutique in Pattaya.

Friendly (and fit!) receptionists. Nice clean room. OK size. OK little pool on the roof.

Given the choice, 9 times out of 10 i'd take the boutique over the Dream and put the 1-2K bht saving towards something else 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefbrody View Post
    I like the 4-5* Dream Hotel in Bkk. Good location. Nice room. Clean. Great Breakfast etc etc.

Though, for half/a third of the price, I quite like a good boutique hotel. My fave of which is the 247 Boutique in Pattaya.

Friendly (and fit!) receptionists. Nice clean room. OK size. OK little pool on the roof.

Given the choice, 9 times out of 10 i'd take the boutique over the Dream and put the 1-2K bht saving towards something else 555
    I stayed at the Dream for my first time in January. Was upgraded to a suite. Great Rain Forest shower. The pool area was small but adequate. closer to Siam Mall. I liked it.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Im happy in a clean , friendly , Sunny Guest house. with a pool is a bonus.

'Ricco's ' at kata beach is mt favourite set up . Stayed there a few times , but the last time it had been invaded by English Families ...Not sure what that was all about .

800 a night and only a short walk to beach and GF for the perverts 555

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    It is a matter of horses for course with me....

the chains do nothing for me..l
    One thing about the chain hotels in Thailand

Their lower tier hotels are fantastic in Thailand
    Four Points
    Aloft
    Holiday Inn Express

Are all on the same level as a W in the US usually
    Much better than the ones in the states of the same brand

Another hotel I look for is historic hotels but that is all over Asia

Colonial type hotels like Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi
    As Nelson mentioned Mandarin Oriental although that is even a bit out of my decent budget

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast