The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: University tuition and payments

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    [QUOTE=bacwaan;363964]
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    She got a full scholarship to Chulalongkorn(or would have been eligible) but they don't have engineering or not as well known for it so she is going for Mahidol

Am I going crazy?...or is it you?...555
    Apparently she didn't! (I guess if she got the 20k level she would have been eligible to go for free to Chula)

You try dealing with Thais from the village about entering University!

It's like a jigsaw puzzle!

I've been told so many different things it's insane

My questioning about when and how I had to make payments prompted her niece to worryingly say if it makes me and Ao fighting we don't have to pay

Umm.............we aren't fighting, people usually like to know when they need to make payments! 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    ^ It's Thailand, where money is discussed intensively, but never talked about..

Try to work out that jigsaw.. 555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    ^ It's Thailand, where money is discussed intensively, but never talked about..

Try to work out that jigsaw.. 555
    My money is in Canada and US, which likes to know where and when it has to go 5555

When it's your money paying.........you don't conform to their norms, they conform to yours

My money is in Canada and US, which likes to know where and when it has to go 5555

When it's your money paying.........you don't conform to their norms, they conform to yours
    Do you think that young girl is even aware that there could be other norms than Thai norms?

Your (very reasonable) question will be first interpreted as negotiation. And secondly responded to by "Don't know, only know when school sends bill.."

Do you think that young girl is even aware that there could be other norms than Thai norms?

Your (very reasonable) question will be first interpreted as negotiation. And secondly responded to by "Don't know, only know when school sends bill.."
    It honestly doesn't matter to me
    I am paying for something, I want to know what it is for and when and the schedule that it needs to be paid(of course emergencies being the exception)

I am pretty generous with my family as well as my wife's family..........but my one rule is if you know you need money, give me time to give it to you
    My brother has never been that bad about borrowing money but when he does ask, it has to be given to him within hours(when usually he waited to last minute to come to me)
    I just don't work that way............I actually abhor it.....I hate the drama of it
    That has been my life's goal is not to have drama because I dealt with so much of it growing up, always being behind the 8ball money wise
    So I have very little drama in my life and resent when it is thrust upon me needlessly

I also look at it as a learning experience for her.............which will provide some fiscal responsibility going forward. That financial responsibilities need to be planned out.
    I don't care what norms there are........if they are wrong or just downright stupid, then don't follow those norms...........learn and be better than those norms

It honestly doesn't matter to me
    I am paying for something, I want to know what it is for and when and the schedule that it needs to be paid(of course emergencies being the exception)

I am pretty generous with my family as well as my wife's family..........but my one rule is if you know you need money, give me time to give it to you
    My brother has never been that bad about borrowing money but when he does ask, it has to be given to him within hours(when usually he waited to last minute to come to me)
    I just don't work that way............I actually abhor it.....I hate the drama of it
    That has been my life's goal is not to have drama because I dealt with so much of it growing up, always being behind the 8ball money wise
    So I have very little drama in my life and resent when it is thrust upon me needlessly

I also look at it as a learning experience for her.............which will provide some fiscal responsibility going forward. That financial responsibilities need to be planned out.
    I don't care what norms there are........if they are wrong or just downright stupid, then don't follow those norms...........learn and be better than those norms
    Well, sorry, but that is as ignorant as demanding a deaf person to hear you..

While I understand your reasoning and logic, in this case you are talking to a Thai girl that up to recently could only dream of a University education.
    She has had a gift from the Buddha so she can have a future, but logically is shy about that.. After all it's about millions of Bath and she feels undeserving..

So she waits on what you decide, waits for you to make a choice for her schooling and waits for you to arrange these things.. As she should, as a good Thai girl!

Then you want her to make decisions, want her to talk to the school (schools tell you what to do, asking questions is impolite..) and tell you how much to pay and when..
    You want her to order you! Which is an impossible task for a Thai girl!

If you want her to understand your logic and reasoning, you should teach her. Or maybe ask your wife to explain that Farang rudeness can be positive and is accepted in Farangia...

Well, sorry, but that is as ignorant as demanding a deaf person to hear you..

While I understand your reasoning and logic, in this case you are talking to a Thai girl that up to recently could only dream of a University education.
    She has had a gift from the Buddha so she can have a future, but logically is shy about that.. After all it's about millions of Bath and she feels undeserving..

So she waits on what you decide, waits for you to make a choice for her schooling and waits for you to arrange these things.. As she should, as a good Thai girl!

Then you want her to make decisions, want her to talk to the school (schools tell you what to do, asking questions is impolite..) and tell you how much to pay and when..
    You want her to order you! Which is an impossible task for a Thai girl!

If you want her to understand your logic and reasoning, you should teach her. Or maybe ask your wife to explain that Farang rudeness can be positive and is accepted in Farangia...
    A) It's not ignorant.....I think you have this romantic idea of how Thailand is, when the reality is so much different
    B) Again, it is my money................Thailand norms and rules mean shitfcuk all to me
    C) I am not really demanding much.................just to find out how much I would have to pay and when and the schedule.............none of that is unreasonable

To prove you are wrong and romanticizing these things, she isn't waiting on me to make any decision other than us telling her we will pay for her(which was already decided)
    And she had all the info needed to call...........she was just procrastinating until Ao pushed her to find these things out

Farang rudeness...........you really lose your mind sometimes in these Thailand specific chats
    Farang rudeness for the farang wanting to know how much and when he needs to pay for her to go to University 5555.................That is fcuking hilarious 5555
    (And you wonder why guys get taken all the time in Thailand...........it's because thinking like this)

The funny thing in these talks with you is you seem to always think you know what these people are thinking and how they are reacting, when you couldn't be more wrong in how they react.................a girl I have known and supported in a lot of her endeavors going on 13 years now

She's a teenage girl that was being lackadaisical..............not some outwardly cultural cross

^ Mai pen rai..

^ Mai pen rai..
    No mai pen rai needed...........I enjoy these sparrings and though I disagree, I still take from them and appreciate your romantic views

Oh and there was a bit of confusion.............I wasn't telling her to call the school, I wouldn't expect her or my stepson to do that(which some would say is babying them)

I was imploring my wife to find out all that stuff.........Not Noon

Not for any sort of cultural reasons(although I get your "schools tell you what to do" and my wife still lives by that at times) I just think that should be the parent's role
    And in this case...........this is important to my wife, so it should be on her to know all this and what's needed

In the grand scheme of things, I look at it as it's my wife helping her family not me
    If there is any credit or thanks from Noon and her mom(not that there needs to be)..........it should be directed at my wife
    My wife especially wants to help Noon because Noon's mom's sister was the caregiver to the family when my wife was growing up...............so it's my wife(not me) paying that back to that part of the family

The reason I am happy to do it is because Noon and Nut are more like brother/sister..........it's always been Noon and Nut
    So if Nut gets the opportunity, then Noon should too
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 20th April 2018 at 06:28.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    .....but my one rule is if you know you need money, give me time to give it to you
    Paul I am one like your brother, on the occasions I have needed to ask for funds from my mentor, over the years, it has usually been with a need for the funds within 24-48hrs.

These amounts are not massive, usually a couple of grand and for a month or two, sometimes only a week. Warren is a multi millionaire so it is just an internet transfer and I always pay him back with 10% extra, regardless of the time.

The reason it is a last min. call is I am trying to sort out whatever it is, that has gone wrong, till the last second. Many times I have been at the point of calling him and the problem has resolved itself.

Different when we were in business together, he was the passive partner and funder, I would give him a budget requirement each month 2 months in advance. But sometimes I would have invoices that should have been paid not paid in that month and I would need the account topped up.

i am sure your brother has a couple of sleepless nights before he finally admits defeat and calls you.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Paul I am one like your brother, on the occasions I have needed to ask for funds from my mentor, over the years, it has usually been with a need for the funds within 24-48hrs.

These amounts are not massive, usually a couple of grand and for a month or two, sometimes only a week. Warren is a multi millionaire so it is just an internet transfer and I always pay him back with 10% extra, regardless of the time.

The reason it is a last min. call is I am trying to sort out whatever it is, that has gone wrong, till the last second. Many times I have been at the point of calling him and the problem has resolved itself.

Different when we were in business together, he was the passive partner and funder, I would give him a budget requirement each month 2 months in advance. But sometimes I would have invoices that should have been paid not paid in that month and I would need the account topped up.

i am sure your brother has a couple of sleepless nights before he finally admits defeat and calls you.
    I appreciate that and I know he is likely trying to get it done without asking me...........which is obviously a good thing

But I am his brother, or anyone in family asking.............so come to me when you need to, no need to wait until you absolutely have to

I have the money to lend...........the only thing is if it's more than a couple of thousand I don't keep much available to me instantly.
    I'm a spender and that has allowed me to save

So if it's more than that I need to transfer it to my bank then to the borrower

But as I said I appreciate what you say about waiting.............I just prefer they don't

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^^ I do understand how you feel, maybe have a chat with him about it when he is not in need of anything I'm sure he will appreciate it and be more relaxed about it the next time.

On the topic of schooling and fees, my mate has twin boys 12 yrs old. Here we have the public school system and they are mostly free of fees, then there are the Private Schools - they get Gov. Subsidies but still charge what they like.

The twins are getting out of control with the lack of discipline in the Public School so he bit the bullet and has put them into a Private School, started last Monday.

He was telling me the school was his 2nd choice as there is another in the same suburb with a higher reputation but the difference in fees was 5 times as much.

I think he has got a good deal with the one he has taken, only $10k a year for the two of them, the other worked out close to $46k for the two. Of course there will be lots of other costs, uniforms are always a lot more than the public ones, excursions etc.

Off topic but while talking of twins, last night I got an email from my ex father in law it had a photo of my twins with Gold medals they won in the Australian Disabled Olympic games - they play Basketball for Queensland.

Good to see they are healthy and did well this time, 4 years ago they got knocked out in the 1st game.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    ^^^^ I do understand how you feel, maybe have a chat with him about it when he is not in need of anything I'm sure he will appreciate it and be more relaxed about it the next time.

On the topic of schooling and fees, my mate has twin boys 12 yrs old. Here we have the public school system and they are mostly free of fees, then there are the Private Schools - they get Gov. Subsidies but still charge what they like.

The twins are getting out of control with the lack of discipline in the Public School so he bit the bullet and has put them into a Private School, started last Monday.

He was telling me the school was his 2nd choice as there is another in the same suburb with a higher reputation but the difference in fees was 5 times as much.

I think he has got a good deal with the one he has taken, only $10k a year for the two of them, the other worked out close to $46k for the two. Of course there will be lots of other costs, uniforms are always a lot more than the public ones, excursions etc.

Off topic but while talking of twins, last night I got an email from my ex father in law it had a photo of my twins with Gold medals they won in the Australian Disabled Olympic games - they play Basketball for Queensland.

Good to see they are healthy and did well this time, 4 years ago they got knocked out in the 1st game.
    Schooling is not cheap

I mean next year I will be paying probably around 22kcad/yr for 2 of them if my stepson starts University in Thailand, which I hope he doesn't and is here in Canada for 1 year of English school to start

So that's 35k before taxes or more if both them going to Uni

And I am getting off cheap with it being in Thailand

Banned
    My question is, do you pay a years tuition up front or before every semester?
    Would anyone know that?

The last I read on schedule seems you pay per semester a couple weeks before the semester starts

Let me know if anyone has a clue
    Most universities you have to pay the semester at the start of the classes or within a few days of starting.

Banned
    Yeah apparently some schools make students live on campus or University housing the 1st year
    Thanks correct some do require this.

Banned
    She got a full scholarship to Chulalongkorn(or would have been eligible) but they don't have engineering or not as well known for it so she is going for Mahidol
    And there is no way I'd push her or any child I had to pursue a degree she didn't want to just because it was free over costing

But I am also imploring Ao to contact Mahidol about scholarships..............They say they provide them on their website for the financially needy

This is all way over Ao's universe but she will get it done.......I just had to guide her and was a bit more forceful last night for her to get on it

PS.........I like the rent comment..........of course he is! 5555
    Much like the west there are many scholarships available as well as student loans etc.

There is also a government student loan available.

Why are you thinking of paying for this person? (can't remember the relationship) What are you looking at achieving as it would be good to know to give better advice.

Banned
    I am not talking about student loans.....I won't have her get those
    Why not, the terms are very good (government)

If its Effective altruism your trying to do, maybe do what I do, pay of the loan on successful completion of the semester/year.

Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    Much like the west there are many scholarships available as well as student loans etc.

There is also a government student loan available.

Why are you thinking of paying for this person? (can't remember the relationship) What are you looking at achieving as it would be good to know to give better advice.
    She's my wifes Aunt's daughter but we call her my wife's niece

I said before it has always been her and my stepson since I met them at 2 and 3yrs old

So it just feels weird that my stepson has the opportunity to go to school stress free and not her
    (As you can imagine from what I've said....school tuition was always stressful for me)

Plus her mom is the one family member my wife can truly count on.
    That includes her mom and brothers
    She is just always there for my wife......
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 22nd April 2018 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    Why not, the terms are very good (government)

If its Effective altruism your trying to do, maybe do what I do, pay of the loan on successful completion of the semester/year.
    I'd have no qualms stopping paying tution if she was not doing what she needed to do on school

And if this was Canada I might have her take some student loans because I think paying for some of your schooling benefits you in the long run
    The only thing I worry about is salaries are so low when getting out of school in Thailand that it must he so hard to pay back the loans

Banned
    I'd have no qualms stopping paying tution if she was not doing what she needed to do on school

And if this was Canada I might have her take some student loans because I think paying for some of your schooling benefits you in the long run
    The only thing I worry about is salaries are so low when getting out of school in Thailand that it must he so hard to pay back the loans
    Which is why I suggested you paying the loan off at the end of the semester/year/course. It gets some of the benefits you are looking for (for her)

Interest rates are only 1%

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast