The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: University tuition and payments

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    Which is why I suggested you paying the loan off at the end of the semester/year/course. It gets some of the benefits you are looking for (for her)

Interest rates are only 1%
    Oh sorry I didn't understand what you were saying

The govt student loans on Mahidol said it was 2%

And I told my wife I want her to take the loans because of the rates

So in effect if she wasn't keeping up her end of the bargain they could be left with her
    Although I'd be real shocked if she didn't prosper but sometimes you never know

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Oh sorry I didn't understand what you were saying

The govt student loans on Mahidol said it was 2%

And I told my wife I want her to take the loans because of the rates

So in effect if she wasn't keeping up her end of the bargain they could be left with her
    Although I'd be real shocked if she didn't prosper but sometimes you never know
    They many have gone up.

2% makes differing payment still better as you should be earning more on that money elsewhere and I think by memory you have 15 years to pay it off.

Doing it that way still gives incentive to do well, so a win/win situation. You get to feel good by helping, she gets the advantage of not having to pay back the loan.

If she fails, its also up to you to respond how you see fit, but in effect your supplying free education without conditions.

They many have gone up.

2% makes differing payment still better as you should be earning more on that money elsewhere and I think by memory you have 15 years to pay it off.

Doing it that way still gives incentive to do well, so a win/win situation. You get to feel good by helping, she gets the advantage of not having to pay back the loan.

If she fails, its also up to you to respond how you see fit, but in effect your supplying free education without conditions.
    Well I wanted her to take the loans because I can earn more on

That was a bit longer of an explanation to my wife, explaining how I could earn more 555

I honestly never thought of using it as sort of a bargaining chip, and although I wouldn't hold that over her.....
    It does offer some protection if she were to wildly fall off the rails

Although I wouldn't put up with much of that so at worse, I'd be risking a years tuition

Thanks correct some do require this.
    From my wife asking my opinion if she should live with my wife or ar school......I guess Mahidol doesn't have that requirement

I strongly urged her to live at school and explained my reasoning to my wife who will relay that to her
    Again, it would be her decision but hopefully my input will help her decide to live ar school.....although I think she was leaning that way anyways
    Plus she has my wife a BTS ride away
    So best of both worlds

My stepson probably has an advent calendar now counting down the 14 months he has where he can live away from his grandmom!
    We won't need to convince him 5555

Banned
    Well I wanted her to take the loans because I can earn more on

That was a bit longer of an explanation to my wife, explaining how I could earn more 555

I honestly never thought of using it as sort of a bargaining chip, and although I wouldn't hold that over her.....
    It does offer some protection if she were to wildly fall off the rails

Although I wouldn't put up with much of that so at worse, I'd be risking a years tuition
    Don't bother explaining the financial side, that's your area of expertise. Thai's would see it silly in asking their opinion where they clearly have know knowledge. I think I posted before, its better to have no opinion then an ill-informed one.

Thai's understand this as logical, westerners see it as an insult to suggest this.

You don't seem the type to use it as a bargaining chip, so why suggest it? its an offer of assistance.

Clear and easy to understand if you explain it up front.

The only down side is you have deal with the Bun Khun, but again you seem the type of person who wouldn't take advantage, so a non issue.

Don't bother explaining the financial side, that's your area of expertise. Thai's would see it silly in asking their opinion where they clearly have know knowledge. I think I posted before, its better to have no opinion then an ill-informed one.

Thai's understand this as logical, westerners see it as an insult to suggest this.

You don't seem the type to use it as a bargaining chip, so why suggest it? its an offer of assistance.

Clear and easy to understand if you explain it up front.

The only down side is you have deal with the Bun Khun, but again you seem the type of person who wouldn't take advantage, so a non issue.
    I want it explained so she knows I will pay the loan at the end
    So that she doesn't think she is on the hook for 200k when she is out of school

Anyways thanks for all the input

I'm in Thailand in October and my son finishes high school the March after that
    So I told my wife it would be nice if he had an idea of a few schools he was interested in and we could check them out in person

This process with our niece has seemed all so last minute.....that is what has made me uneasy in all this
    I am extremely laid back but when it comes to important issues I had when people wait until last minute

I don't really know when the process starts in Thailand but North America it starts pretty much right after your Junior year and gets serious in your 1st semester of Senior year

I even asked my wife if Thai kids apply to a bunch of different schools
    She said no....but I am skeptical of her knowledge on all this.
    A) because she never went through it
    B) because half her answers were wrong 5555

Banned
    I even asked my wife if Thai kids apply to a bunch of different schools
    She said no....but I am skeptical of her knowledge on all this.
    A) because she never went through it
    B) because half her answers were wrong 5555
    But that makes half of them right also.

Thai's don't seem to apply to different schools as your wife says, why I don't know but there doesn't seem to be the need.

Much like the west, if your smart enough and have the money its not an issue. University in Thai is a status peg, what you study isn't that important.

Take this girl as an example, I don't think you have mentioned what her goal is in studying?

But that makes half of them right also.

Thai's don't seem to apply to different schools as your wife says, why I don't know but there doesn't seem to be the need.

Much like the west, if your smart enough and have the money its not an issue. University in Thai is a status peg, what you study isn't that important.

Take this girl as an example, I don't think you have mentioned what her goal is in studying?
    Yes I did.....it's Engineering

So do you think it would be crazy to have my stepson have a list of possible schools he wants to attend by late October and then my wife and I go speak to them?

That's what we would do here but I don't know if the schools would be looking at us like we are crazy

Banned

So do you think it would be crazy to have my stepson have a list of possible schools he wants to attend by late October and then my wife and I go speak to them?

That's what we would do here but I don't know if the schools would be looking at us like we are crazy
    That would be perfectly OK, just don't make the mistake of asking or letting him have a say in it.

^^^I am not joking, work out what the outcome he whats and make the choice based on this.

Thailand like many universities are in far to much into the churn model of operating these days, the downside of most Thai universities is they offer no international (or maybe even internal) value to this.

Banned
    Well that's a square peg in a round hole to start with in Thailand.

What type of Engineering?

That would be perfectly OK, just don't make the mistake of asking or letting him have a say in it.

^^^I am not joking, work out what the outcome he whats and make the choice based on this.

Thailand like many universities are in far to much into the churn model of operating these days, the downside of most Thai universities is they offer no international (or maybe even internal) value to this.
    And why I am pushing him to come here for school
    I do think he will do a year here for English school............well as you said, we told him he is doing a year here for English school

But seeing the difficulty that our Thai friends here............I think it's a failure if he doesn't attend school here

Well that's a square peg in a round hole to start with in Thailand.

What type of Engineering?
    Civil Engineering I am 95% sure...............getting that explanation from my wife fun

Banned
    And why I am pushing him to come here for school
    I do think he will do a year here for English school............well as you said, we told him he is doing a year here for English school

But seeing the difficulty that our Thai friends here............I think it's a failure if he doesn't attend school here
    I agree, he is going there for English school, staying for the hot chicks, and an asshole step dad who makes him go to school with them and keeping him from his beloved family 555

Your such an asshole, I hope you know that, if not I am sure you will hear it a number of times in the future from him. 555

Asking an impossible question, but what does he want to do with his life? or better yet what do you think he should do with it?

I agree, he is going there for English school, staying for the hot chicks, and an asshole step dad who makes him go to school with them and keeping him from his beloved family 555

Your such an asshole, I hope you know that, if not I am sure you will hear it a number of times in the future from him. 555

Asking an impossible question, but what does he want to do with his life? or better yet what do you think he should do with it?
    Haha
    That's a funny question
    He's a pretty lackadaisical kid

We were at Whistler Mountain a couple years ago and I asked him that question at dinner
    He only said he didn't want a boss.
    Of course, my MIL and wife jumped all over him but I said that was an ok to want
    A goal but he had to know know in what area and they go do that

Honestly......I'd give anything to be him and be able to go to English school here
    The ratio is seriously about 9-1 girls to guys
    I told my nephew he should get his ESL teaching certificate and come teach English here 5555

Banned
    Haha
    That's a funny question
    He's a pretty lackadaisical kid

We were at Whistler Mountain a couple years ago and I asked him that question at dinner
    He only said he didn't want a boss.
    Of course, my MIL and wife jumped all over him but I said that was an ok to want
    A goal but he had to know know in what area and they go do that

Honestly......I'd give anything to be him and be able to go to English school here
    The ratio is seriously about 9-1 girls to guys
    I told my nephew he should get his ESL teaching certificate and come teach English here 5555
    Considering how you describe how his mother and grandmother act I can see why he doesn't want a boss.

This is something you need to work on for his own good (I know you have mentioned it a number of times), as its seems to becoming (or is already) a problem.

If I was you, I would be removing him from that situation and having him come stay with you, even if its a trail basis.

6 or 12mths of at his age is nothing in the scheme of things, even if he hates it, what he learns (from the whole experience) will change him for the better.

Considering how you describe how his mother and grandmother act I can see why he doesn't want a boss.

This is something you need to work on for his own good (I know you have mentioned it a number of times), as its seems to becoming (or is already) a problem.

If I was you, I would be removing him from that situation and having him come stay with you, even if its a trail basis.

6 or 12mths of at his age is nothing in the scheme of things, even if he hates it, what he learns (from the whole experience) will change him for the better.
    I am pretty sure he will come here next summer to start English school
    He can also work at one of the Thai restaurants we know
    So he would be going to school, working and meeting people from all over the world

So a no brainer

Banned
    I am pretty sure he will come here next summer to start English school
    He can also work at one of the Thai restaurants we know
    So he would be going to school, working and meeting people from all over the world

So a no brainer
    Lets see if it happens...!

Banned
    ^^^OK that may come across as a bit like an asshole, but do you see him as your son or not? A lot of your post seem to come off uncommitted on that fact.

So asking directly how do you view your relationship and how do you think he views it. As there in lines the answer.

^^^OK that may come across as a bit like an asshole, but do you see him as your son or not? A lot of your post seem to come off uncommitted on that fact.

So asking directly how do you view your relationship and how do you think he views it. As there in lines the answer.
    No I don't view him as my son
    I view him exactly as I say, my stepson
    And I think he views me exactly the same.....as his stepfather

He will basically do what his mother tells him and he is a pretty easy kid who adapts incredibly fast(I've never seen any kid makes friends as fast as he does)

So if I make it work and his mom tells him he's going to Canada for a year it really is a done deal

And all he needs is a visitors Visa (he's had a few) and to be accepted at an English school......which is not an obstacle
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 1st May 2018 at 22:27.

Banned
    No I don't view him as my son
    I view him exactly as I say, my stepson
    Why the difference? (besides the genetic factor)

He will basically do what his mother tells him and he is a pretty easy kid who adapts incredibly fast(I've never seen any kid makes friends as fast as he does)

So if I make it work and his mom tells him he's going to Canada for a year it really is a done deal
    So your making decisions as if your he's father (nothing wrong with this) I just wonder why the distinction.

And all he needs is a visitors Visa (he's had a few) and to be accepted at an English school......which is not an obstacle
    I understand this, but why not a PR visa, that would be as equal if not more important than a student visa.

The reason I am asking these questions is that you give mixed messages on here about the situation and how you feel. I just want to make sure your not giving them to him.

While i don't have a step child, If I did I would treat the same as my own child, hence the reason for questioning the child/step child term you use.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast