The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: University tuition and payments

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^ as always school/university selection should be about what subjects the pupil excels in and which career path he wants to follow...whilst this school may be a good choice if he wishes to become a pilot it may not be the ideal choice for say, english literature....

It would be interesting to know what Ao's reasons are for wanting him to be in a disciplinarian environment rather than one where he can follow his chosen carrer path relatively freely..but of course if he wants to be an aeronautical engineer it probably makes perfect sense...
    Well I don't think it is uncommon in Asia for a mom to push her son into what "she thinks" is best and also, let's be honest, what gives the mother the most face
    And there isn't many more face than their son going to a military school/academy

I don't agree with it and I express my opinion and concerns and they are heard
    And it will be discussed plenty when I get there next week with all of us

But I do think her desire does have some merit in a way that she thinks he needs that discipline
    He really is lackadaisical and extremely laid back
    So that could go two ways............either he gains that discipline or he doesn't fit in at all

Me personally, and I have expressed this since he was pretty young, I think he should go into more of an artistic route
    He's an amazing musician and just has a creative mind
    I think he would excel in something like graphic design

Well things are moving pretty fast

Nut got accepted to Thamassat University in the 1st round
    From what I can gather it seems kids that go to school in Bangkok have prefence and if he doesn't accept he goes through 4 other rounds but then it is open to all students

But Ao is still pushing for Military University and he is taken that exam this month

She has been having some real serious talks with him about all this

He took the test for Mahidol, Chula and one other so we will see

Oh and I had a crying mom on the phone
    She wants him to stay a boy 5555

Oh and I pity any poor girl that marries this kid
    Between my wife and my MIL she ain't ever going to be accepted

Hell, I might have to move to Thailand just so the poor girl would have someone on her side 5555

Cadet silver
    Thammasat is a very prestigious university, particularly the Law Faculty.

If by Military University you mean Chulachomklao RMA, that is also prestigious.

I guess at the end of the day if one is turning out lawyers and the other military officers, in modern Thailand it would be a toss-up to see who is the most bent.

It has always irked me to see mothers pushing their daughters to marry young military officers "because one day they will be very rich". In the next breath though they will tell you that corruption is a very bad thing and not see the irony in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buksida View Post
    Thammasat is a very prestigious university, particularly the Law Faculty.

If by Military University you mean Chulachomklao RMA, that is also prestigious.

I guess at the end of the day if one is turning out lawyers and the other military officers, in modern Thailand it would be a toss-up to see who is the most bent.

It has always irked me to see mothers pushing their daughters to marry young military officers "because one day they will be very rich". In the next breath though they will tell you that corruption is a very bad thing and not see the irony in that.
    Thanks
    It is not that Military Academy, if it were I would be pushing for it

As I mentioned before he wants to go into physical therapy but my wife doesn't see much of a industry for it
    I asked on here about it and a lot of expats also didn't think it had much growth potential

I will post a pic of that Military school that they have been talking to

Thanks for the info

Well things are kicking into high gear
    Nut is at Thammasat today for interviews and he had to choose 6 Majors(that's what we call what degree they want ) as his choices

He still wants Physical Therapy as his top choice.
    My wife is not happy at all with that but I've been doing a lot of research and it looks like you can have a viable career in Thailand but you have to have a strong drive and make it a good career

This is where it gets a little frustrating
    Obviously my wife has never been through this
    I want her to talk to Thammasat so they can give her an outlook into the field and what type of jobs their graduates in Physical Therapy are getting when graduate
    She's not afraid to do so, she just doesn't know how to set it up
    But I told her to have Nut inquire who she could talk to
    I'd be shocked if their isn't advisors that my wife could speak to

Also I hit a couple of Sr Physical Therapy up on LinkedIn and explained the situation and asked if they had time to answer some questions I had about the field
    Hopefully they are like myself, where I always go out of my way to respond to every request I get for advice

Finally I want to do some research into of working in places like Singapore, Hong Kong is viable
    Almost like how nurses are in demand

Oh and he's still off to his weekend Military Prep Courses
    Well they start in a a couple of weeks

That should be exciting 5555

Oh one other thing of interest....

Ao has had dozens and dozens of talks with Nut over his options

And there are preferences she has for him to do

But what was telling is she keeps stressing to him her preferences for him have nothing to do with her wanting him to make good money to give to her
    She keeps telling him she just wants him to do better than she has

But I just thought it was very telling of the culture
    Where she wanted to make it be known money going to her isn't a factor

So Nut's interview at Thammasat went horrible yesterday!!

Now, before I get into it, you have to understand this kid is the most laidback, even-keeled, happy-go-lucky kid I ever encountered

And he came home pissed!

Apparently the person interviewing him didn't like mixed marriages
    They spent the whole time asking Nut about his father, where he was
    And then started asking Nut how his Mom will be able to pay for school

Nut, again I've never seen him mad, said he finally went back at the guy interviewing him

Just completely unprofessional and intrusive

My MIL commented that they lucky I wasn't in Thailand or I would've have went and killed them
    I would have went, but just inform them on how unprofessional the interviewer was

To be honest, Ao was pissed about the incident but I think almost happy because she doesn't want him to go into Physical Therapy

Platinum
    Is Physical Therapy as a course in high demand there? Here it very and you need to get very good marks(especially math,biology and physics) to get in.
    Do they do interviews for ALL the courses?

Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    Is Physical Therapy as a course in high demand there? Here it very and you need to get very good marks(especially math,biology and physics) to get in.
    Do they do interviews for ALL the courses?
    Well that is my wife's concern, that it isn't in high demand

Although with the limited research I have been able to do, it seems a bigger industry than we previously thought
    But it also seems you would need to really excel to advance to big positions at say, Bumrangard Hospital

I want my wife to go in and talk to the schools about their graduates
    I want to get in touch and talk to physio professionals and get their advice
    I want to see if working in neighboring countries is viable

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Well that is my wife's concern, that it isn't in high demand

Although with the limited research I have been able to do, it seems a bigger industry than we previously thought
    But it also seems you would need to really excel to advance to big positions at say, Bumrangard Hospital

I want my wife to go in and talk to the schools about their graduates
    I want to get in touch and talk to physio professionals and get their advice
    I want to see if working in neighboring countries is viable
    Speaking to graduates would be on top of my list.Also look at how many students they allow to do the course.
    Physio intakes are usually small.
    Where's Evilbaz... wasnt he a physio?He should be able to give you some good incite.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Thought I'd chime in....

My youngest son graduated and got his degree last month, physicians assistant. His minor is in hospital administration. He's now kicking around Europe for six months(my promise to him)

Thats all three boys with substantial degrees.

I haven't actually added up the cost (I gave up) but probably about a half million? Don't care...but feck me...if you guys are sending someone to a school of higher education, put 2x the amount aside that you think it will cost!!

It never ends...until now! Lol
    justcruzing1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    Speaking to graduates would be on top of my list.Also look at how many students they allow to do the course.
    Physio intakes are usually small.
    Where's Evilbaz... wasnt he a physio?He should be able to give you some good incite.
    Thammasat only takes in 5 students in Physio, from what he/my wife said

It is not listed as top 5 in Physio though........

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Thought I'd chime in....

My youngest son graduated and got his degree last month, physicians assistant. His minor is in hospital administration. He's now kicking around Europe for six months(my promise to him)

Thats all three boys with substantial degrees.

I haven't actually added up the cost (I gave up) but probably about a half million? Don't care...but feck me...if you guys are sending someone to a school of higher education, put 2x the amount aside that you think it will cost!!

It never ends...until now! Lol
    And you could consider yourself lucky then my agent starting now because you could probably be on the hook for another 200k

Canada best Universities are 6k/yr

But you are certainly spot on that it costs more than you think
    Even in Thailand where tuition is about 8k cad per year then add probably another 5k in dorm and living expenses

And you could consider yourself lucky then my agent starting now because you could probably be on the hook for another 200k

Canada best Universities are 6k/yr

But you are certainly spot on that it costs more than you think
    Even in Thailand where tuition is about 8k cad per year then add probably another 5k in dorm and living expenses
    Cell phones, cars, insurance, clothes, ect....

Only one of my boys stayed in the house while attended Uni, the othe two went down to so-cal for specialized degrees. Jesus, it just never-ever stopped. The cost of living down there is stupid. I had them both living in a townhouse in Huntington Beach and the monthly rent was $2400...for a shithole! 55. Not uncommon for a single school book to cost $250 (used!!!)

Anywho, that's all a done deal...I'm exhausted! 555

Do they have scholarships, grants ect in Thailand? If so, get on grind and look at ALL of them. They helped me here to the tune of 50k total.
    Last edited by slampay; 11th January 2019 at 05:55.

Cell phones, cars, insurance, clothes, ect....

Only one of my boys stayed in the house while attended Uni, the othe two went down to so-cal for specialized degrees. Jesus, it just never-ever stopped. The cost of living down there is stupid. I had them both living in a townhouse in Huntington Beach and the monthly rent was $2400...for a shithole! 55. Not uncommon for a single school book to cost $250 (used!!!)

Anywho, that's all a done deal...I'm exhausted! 555
    My MIL is so strict that Nut needs to live at school
    Even if it was down the road!

Now, that is a lot easier for me to say when dorms are like 200cad/mo and not 2400usd 555

My MIL is so strict that Nut needs to live at school
    Even if it was down the road!

Now, that is a lot easier for me to say when dorms are like 200cad/mo and not 2400usd 555
    I added abit on my post about scholarships and grants, do they have them in Thailand?

I added abit on my post about scholarships and grants, do they have them in Thailand?
    Well that m'fcer questioned if my wife could afford Thammasat, now I have to flex on him 5555

I can't be applying for financial aid!

Ha,
    But in all seriousness they do have scholarships but from what I have been told, they are limited

They also do have student loans but I obviously wouldn't have Nut take any of those

But, and this is where it is frustrating for me, is this is all so new to Ao so she doesn't know much(through no fault of hers)

Well that m'fcer questioned if my wife could afford Thammasat, now I have to flex on him 5555

I can't be applying for financial aid!

Ha,
    But in all seriousness they do have scholarships but from what I have been told, they are limited

They also do have student loans but I obviously wouldn't have Nut take any of those

But, and this is where it is frustrating for me, is this is all so new to Ao so she doesn't know much(through no fault of hers)
    I'm not talking about financial aid, I used to think the same thing about scholarships,,,limited. Have him apply for every single one out there..every single one. people think that they won't be qualified for some stupid $500 grant from some non-discript corporation, but it's the law of averages and it adds up. If grants/scholarships are available in Thailand, get them on a computer and apply away! It doesn't hurt.

It actually works.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Hey Paul I don't know if you remember but my step daughter is going to University with the help of a scholarship she earnt in her school days, she is halfway through her 4th and final year doing nursing, most of her time now is doing practical training at various Thai Hospitals.

She is also sponsored by a Hospital in Bangkok and when she graduates she must work there for 1 x year, getting closer now 555 The scholarship included accommodation at the University although that only lasted 6 x months before she moved to a nearby room by herself, the University accommodation was a room shared with 6 x girls, she couldn't study properly. We pay for her room which is not to much, other costs add up as has been mentioned.

I'll be back in Thailand next week and if you want I could get her to ring AO and talk about what to expect at University, I realise the course would be completely different but AO could ask a few questions. Like myself and Paer we don't know what's required to attend University as neither of us had the opportunity.
    Quarky likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

I'm not talking about financial aid, I used to think the same thing about scholarships,,,limited. Have him apply for every single one out there..every single one. people think that they won't be qualified for some stupid $500 grant from some non-discript corporation, but it's the law of averages and it adds up. If grants/scholarships are available in Thailand, get them on a computer and apply away! It doesn't hurt.

It actually works.
    Oh I agree
    But I am pretty they are limited

But more than that, this is all so new to Ao and her family she really has limited knowledge of it all

Any scholarships offered would be in mostly Thai on websites so hard for me to find

A big reason I decided to head there as a surprise is so we can sit down and go over all this
    And as I wrote above, so that I can hopefully meet with recent graduates, people in the physio field and possibly the schools

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast