The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 101
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: University tuition and payments

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641

    University tuition and payments

    I don't even remember if I asked this before and I did a search and couldn't find anything

    My wife has zero clue about any of this and given no on in her family has graduated high school I don't expect her to

    And this will be a major step for her to deal with Mahidol so I think she is a bit shy

    So I do searches on Google and a lot of times it has brought me to the International part of the University

    But I think I have finally found the semester schedule

    It looks like its 3 semesters per year starting in September

    And it looks like tuition is the engineering school is 715k baht for 4 years

    My question is, do you pay a years tuition up front or before every semester?
    Would anyone know that?

    The last I read on schedule seems you pay per semester a couple weeks before the semester starts

    Let me know if anyone has a clue

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641
    And thanks for any info

  3. #3
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth/Chiang Rai
    Posts
    6,843
    With nursing we pay at the beginning of every semester....if that helps Paul.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    With nursing we pay at the beginning of every semester....if that helps Paul.
    Yeah it does
    It looked like Mahidol said payment before the 3 semesters per year
    Which is good

    It's not western tuition prices but I will have 2 University tuitions next year

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,711
    For international school I paid upfront per semester, but they gave the option of paying for the year with a 10% discount.
    First term will have additional costs, like enrollment fees, administration fees, and extra options for book rent, lunch, etc. etc. Very creative with the extra's.. 555

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    For international school I paid upfront per semester, but they gave the option of paying for the year with a 10% discount.
    First term will have additional costs, like enrollment fees, administration fees, and extra options for book rent, lunch, etc. etc. Very creative with the extra's.. 555
    Yeah apparently some schools make students live on campus or University housing the 1st year
    Otherwise she'd just live with Ao

    But I think living at school is invaluable..............more so for a Thai student, given how sheltered they can be

  7. #7
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,261
    My landlord has a daughter at Chulalongkorn and another one at the Queen's (high) school in BKK...they both have semester by semester fee systems...he always seems very eager to collect the rents on the start of semester months..555

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,711
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yeah apparently some schools make students live on campus or University housing the 1st year
    Otherwise she'd just live with Ao

    But I think living at school is invaluable..............more so for a Thai student, given how sheltered they can be
    Thing is, they advertise tuition fees, but hide all the extra costs until the last moment.. Yet another Thai Scam? 555

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Thing is, they advertise tuition fees, but hide all the extra costs until the last moment.. Yet another Thai Scam? 555
    No, it's like that in all schools here also

    Books and such

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    My landlord has a daughter at Chulalongkorn and another one at the Queen's (high) school in BKK...they both have semester by semester fee systems...he always seems very eager to collect the rents on the start of semester months..555
    She got a full scholarship to Chulalongkorn(or would have been eligible) but they don't have engineering or not as well known for it so she is going for Mahidol
    And there is no way I'd push her or any child I had to pursue a degree she didn't want to just because it was free over costing

    But I am also imploring Ao to contact Mahidol about scholarships..............They say they provide them on their website for the financially needy

    This is all way over Ao's universe but she will get it done.......I just had to guide her and was a bit more forceful last night for her to get on it


    PS.........I like the rent comment..........of course he is! 5555
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 19th April 2018 at 02:41.
    bacwaan likes this.

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,360
    Why dont you just email or call the school?

    Im sure some schools are differant to others at least you get the correct info.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Why dont you just email or call the school?

    Im sure some schools are differant to others at least you get the correct info.
    I will wait a few days
    It's a good learning process for Ao to do it

    We will be having to gi through it next year for her son also

  13. #13
    Platinum Mick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Thailand, for now
    Posts
    518
    There are three 16 / 17 week terms per year at Thai universities, with full time students studying two terms. For part-time / weekend students, tuition often does continue over the third term. Sometimes full time students pick up a course they have previously failed, during the third term, if it is offered. Full-time students usually have a break, but some do internships or are involved in other activities during the "summer term".

    Fees are due by a certain date within a few weeks of the start of each term. If the fees are not paid (or arrangements made for a delay in payment) the student's registration is not valid, and he or she will not be on the roll for classes for that term.

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    There are three 16 / 17 week terms per year at Thai universities, with full time students studying two terms. For part-time / weekend students, tuition often does continue over the third term. Sometimes full time students pick up a course they have previously failed, during the third term, if it is offered. Full-time students usually have a break, but some do internships or are involved in other activities during the "summer term".

    Fees are due by a certain date within a few weeks of the start of each term. If the fees are not paid (or arrangements made for a delay in payment) the student's registration is not valid, and he or she will not be on the roll for classes for that term.
    Thanks
    Ao initially though the years tuition had to be paid in full
    I then read on Mahidol site that it was 3 semesters and looked like payment was due about 2 weeks before each semester

    And you and others seem to confirm that

    Now on to scholarships and other forms of financial aid she may able to get before my wallet comes into play
    I am not talking about student loans.....I won't have her get those
    Just any scholarships she might he eligible for

    But I have a suspicion they let that go too long and they are all gone

    Thanks for the info

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641
    Funny exchange with Ao's best friend here in Vancouver who has actually become my friend also
    Many times I talk to her more than Ao does
    She's a fantastic person

    So I asked her about this is thought she went to Mahidol

    She said.....Mahidol is public university for very smart people and that's not her 555

    She then said she went to a private university
    She said "more expensive and less education " 5555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,360
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    She said.....Mahidol is public university for very smart people and that's not her 555

    She then said she went to a private university
    She said "more expensive and less education " 5555
    This is how it is in the Phils too. The private schools are mainly full of Chinese kids from business familys and most are dumb shits. My wife was the only non Chinese in her year and most of her Chinese friends just got married and had kids after uni......whats the point of studding.

  17. #17
    Cadet silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    149
    The big universities in Bangkok all have their specialities e.g.

    Thammasat - Law
    Chula - Engineering and Science
    Mahidol - Medicine
    Silpakorn - Fine Arts and Architecture
    Kasetsart - Agriculture

    Degrees from those universities carry the most cred.

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,711
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    This is how it is in the Phils too. The private schools are mainly full of Chinese kids from business familys and most are dumb shits. My wife was the only non Chinese in her year and most of her Chinese friends just got married and had kids after uni......whats the point of studding.
    Intelligent conversation after sex?
    OZZYGUY and Buksida like this.

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Buksida View Post
    The big universities in Bangkok all have their specialities e.g.

    Thammasat - Law
    Chula - Engineering and Science
    Mahidol - Medicine
    Silpakorn - Fine Arts and Architecture
    Kasetsart - Agriculture

    Degrees from those universities carry the most cred.
    I am told she doesn't qualify for Chula because her country ranking is not as high due to her school district

    So she is close to the top in her district but her district is weak compared to others in the country

    She said she needs 20k point rank(? not entirely sure the verbage) and she is under that but still high

    Thanks for that info

  20. #20
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,261
    [QUOTE=MarcTwoSix;363813]She got a full scholarship to Chulalongkorn(or would have been eligible) but they don't have engineering or not as well known for it so she is going for Mahidol


    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I am told she doesn't qualify for Chula because her country ranking is not as high due to her school district
    Am I going crazy?...or is it you?...555
    Zablive likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •