Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By Hatari
  • 1 Post By chelski

Thread: Expats 'failing to integrate' - report

Expats 'failing to integrate' - report

Expats in firing line over traffic statistics
    1 June 2018
    TheNotion

The government has responded quickly to a barrage of complaints from outraged Thai netizens over the release yesterday of the Thai road statistics April 2017-March 2018.

The statistics appeared to indicate non-Thai drivers were a hugely under-represented percentage in the the annual figures, including fatalities, injuries, non-injury insurance claims, and police traffic prosecutions.

Police Road Transport spokesperson Wannapa Rachatichek stated that the figures were regarded as an anomaly by her department, and that no definite conclusions could be drawn.

"The suggestion that overseas drivers are substantially safer and less likely to be involved in any road traffic incident is not a valid conclusion in this case" she stated.

"Foreigners may be under-represented for many, many reasons" she continued, "but I am not prepared to discuss those reasons"

"Further, the apparent fact that a Thai driver is almost 13 times more likely than an expat to be in a traffic event, well that's bordering on racial profiling" she said in concluding the media conference.

A common thread in the Thai netizens' complaints is that somehow farang drivers were 'getting away with it' and in fact were the cause of most road traffic incidents, but that went either unreported, or cash settlement made to the other vehicle owners and/or police.

Following a fierce and outraged online response, Road Traffic Minister Pradit Warachai has implored expats who have made their homes here to make a greater effort at integration with Thai people.

"We're considering a number of options" he stated in this afternoon's media release.

"Unfortunately this segment of our society, the farang expats, have taken it upon themselves to make Thai drivers appear substandard" he continued, "and this is creating hostility against this immigrant community who are in most cases, welcomed to our country".

Warachai's favoured solution is a series of educational days for expats. "The proposed Drive Like A Thai days could be held monthly" he said. "On these days the foreign community is expected to adhere to the driving practices they have witnessed on our roads, to improve their level of Thainess"

Some initial suggestions for expat drivers on Drive Like A Thai days would include a ban on the use of indicators, treating any give-way or stop-sign controlled intersection as a free-for-all, increasing average speeds - particularly in wet weather conditions, higher alcohol intake on these days both before and during driving, and performing at least one random U-turn or lane change every 15 minutes.

Warachai does not yet have full support of the Cabinet, but has been quoted as saying Thai driving habits fell within both cultural and religious beliefs, summed up in the western phrase "when your time's up, there's nothing you can do about it"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    ^ Brilliant 555

AKA Bubblegum Cadet Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Expats in firing line over traffic statistics
    1 June 2018
    TheNotion

The government has responded quickly to a barrage of complaints from outraged Thai netizens over the release yesterday of the Thai road statistics April 2017-March 2018.

The statistics appeared to indicate non-Thai drivers were a hugely under-represented percentage in the the annual figures, including fatalities, injuries, non-injury insurance claims, and police traffic prosecutions.

Police Road Transport spokesperson Wannapa Rachatichek stated that the figures were regarded as an anomaly by her department, and that no definite conclusions could be drawn.

"The suggestion that overseas drivers are substantially safer and less likely to be involved in any road traffic incident is not a valid conclusion in this case" she stated.

"Foreigners may be under-represented for many, many reasons" she continued, "but I am not prepared to discuss those reasons"

"Further, the apparent fact that a Thai driver is almost 13 times more likely than an expat to be in a traffic event, well that's bordering on racial profiling" she said in concluding the media conference.

A common thread in the Thai netizens' complaints is that somehow farang drivers were 'getting away with it' and in fact were the cause of most road traffic incidents, but that went either unreported, or cash settlement made to the other vehicle owners and/or police.

Following a fierce and outraged online response, Road Traffic Minister Pradit Warachai has implored expats who have made their homes here to make a greater effort at integration with Thai people.

"We're considering a number of options" he stated in this afternoon's media release.

"Unfortunately this segment of our society, the farang expats, have taken it upon themselves to make Thai drivers appear substandard" he continued, "and this is creating hostility against this immigrant community who are in most cases, welcomed to our country".

Warachai's favoured solution is a series of educational days for expats. "The proposed Drive Like A Thai days could be held monthly" he said. "On these days the foreign community is expected to adhere to the driving practices they have witnessed on our roads, to improve their level of Thainess"

Some initial suggestions for expat drivers on Drive Like A Thai days would include a ban on the use of indicators, treating any give-way or stop-sign controlled intersection as a free-for-all, increasing average speeds - particularly in wet weather conditions, higher alcohol intake on these days both before and during driving, and performing at least one random U-turn or lane change every 15 minutes.

Warachai does not yet have full support of the Cabinet, but has been quoted as saying Thai driving habits fell within both cultural and religious beliefs, summed up in the western phrase "when your time's up, there's nothing you can do about it"
    I love that part except for 15 minutes ? Maybe they meant seconds ?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    5555555 I think this is in the wrong section....but well done 55555555

I will add, it took me 4 hrs riding a big bike in Patong to completely change to Thai rules. So I am not part of those statistic's 55555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

I occasionally drive-like-a-Thai, usually when we're late coming home of an evening and I'm thirsty .. 55
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    So up really is down over there!...555
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Upside downland...
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Been driving more than usual since Thursday - Bangkok to Chanthaburi to Sa Kaeo to Chanthaburi with numerous diversions along the way, a reminder of how many people really do 'Drive Like A Thai' ... or more likely 'drive like there's no tomorrow'.

In many cases it's company vehicles involved, so the 'drive it like you stole it' attitude takes over.

Enjoyed our travels, and always pleased to get home safely. Only casualty I'm aware of a snake on highway 317 I was locked in a lane couldn't avoid it, ran over the tail, the truck tailgating would have done the rest.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    So we have to learn how to drive the wrong way round the one way system in Samui in cars and on motorbikes, drive with no lights on a motorbike/car, use the hard shoulder on the freeway as an extra lane of the freeway, to name just a few.
    I would love to be at one of these day, it would be a blast
    Hatari likes this.