• 3 Post By Rockitt
  • 1 Post By supersub
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 2 Post By Stillearly
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon

Thread: Thailand: Public Holidays

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Thailand: Public Holidays

Planning your trip to Thailand, visit to immigration, night at the bars ?

Holidays for the balance of 2018

27 Jul Fri Asahna Bucha Day
    28 Jul Sat Khao Phansa Day
    28 Jul Sat King Vajiralongkorn's Birthday
    30 Jul Mon King Vajiralongkorn's Birthday Holiday
    12 Aug Sun Her Majesty the Queen's Birthday
    13 Aug Mon Her Majesty the Queen's Birthday Holiday
    13 Oct Sat Passing of His Majesty the Late King
    15 Oct Mon Passing of His Majesty the Late King Holiday
    23 Oct Tue Chulalongkorn Memorial Day
    5 Dec Wed His Majesty the Late King's Birthday
    10 Dec Mon Constitution Day

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    This week:

Auspicious holidays brings two-day alcohol ban
    PHUKET: The series of major public holidays next weekend will bring a ban on the sale of alcohol for two consecutive days and see all major government offices close for a four-day weekend.

Asarnha Bucha Day and the beginning of Buddhist Lent have been mandated “National No Alcohol Days” since 2009 by an order that also banned the sale of alcohol on the major Buddhist holidays Makha Bucha Day and Visakha Bucha Day.

Also, with the 66th birthday of His Majesty The King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun this year falling on a Saturday (July 28), the country will observe the national public holiday on Monday (July 30), with all government offices closed.
    Quarky likes this.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    27 July 2018
    Asahna Bucha Day
    This day, the first full moon of the eighth lunar month (in 2019 will be Wednesday 17 July), commemorates the Buddha's first sermon in the Deer Park in Benares, India and the founding of the Buddhist sangha (monkhood) about 2,500 years ago.
    The day marks the beginning of Vassa, the Buddhist lent period also known as the 'Rains Retreat'.

Buddhist Lent
    The day following Asahna Bucha is known as Khao Phansa or 'Buddhist Lent'. It marks the beginning of the three-month ‘Phansa’ period, during which all monks should stay in their temples and not travel.

King Maha Vajiralongkorn's Birthday
    This national holiday in Thailand is held annually on 28 July.
    If 28 July falls on a weekend, the holiday will be observed on the following Monday.
    The day commemorates the birthday of the King of Thailand, Vajiralongkorn, also known as Rama X.
    From 2017, the King's Birthday has shifted to 28 July, but 5 December remains a public holiday in Thailand to mark the birthday of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
    On H.M. King's Birthday, most government offices, banks and businesses will be closed. Many shops will remain open and there is no ban on the sale of alcohol.
    Last edited by Hatari; 22nd July 2018 at 05:56.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    From what I've read most bars are closed from midnight 26th , for 48 hours ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    If you like drinking alcohol then I suggest purchasing what you need BEFORE the National holidays. How much planning does that take? Where it might screw you up is when taking a trip somewhere during that time, and the airports and highways might be busier than normal.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Alcohol sales ban tightened for Asanha Bucha, Lent
    July 26, 2018
    Police will strictly enforce the ban on liquor and beer sales on Asanha Bucha (July 27) and Buddhist Lent, Royal Thai Police deputy spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said.
    He said Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda had instructed chiefs of the nine provincial bureaux and Metropolitan Police Bureau to be strict about the ban on Friday and Saturday.
    Although Thailand is a secular society, the sale of alcoholic drinks is banned at department stores, convenience stores and entertainment venues on Buddhist national holidays.
    The ban goes onto effect at 12.01am on Friday and remains in place through midnight Sunday.
    Krissana said restaurants, karaoke shops, bus terminals and railway stations would be randomly checked on both days and retailers and proprietors of entertainment venues had been reminded of the ban. The only exemption is at airport duty-free shops, he said.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Thanks for the list Hatari.
    I have a bad habit of booking my trips around these dates unknowingly.
    Quarky, Ian Forbes and Hatari like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I'd actually like to experience being there on a religious holiday. I'm really not fussed about a night or 2 without booze.

I imagine there's a nice buzz at the temples and stuff going on.
    Hatari likes this.

Oh my God! A couple of days without booze! What will people do? The sky is falling! The world is coming to an end!
    Rockitt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Oh my God! A couple of days without booze! What will people do? The sky is falling! The world is coming to an end!
    All bars and entertainment venues are closed as well , could be important information for someone planning a short trip

I remember being in Romania and it turned out to be their Easter.... a few weeks later than ours.. and everything was shut for one of the days... even the hotel I stayed at wouldn't serve food... nothing was open... was quite eerie...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    All bars and entertainment venues are closed as well , could be important information for someone planning a short trip
    But I thought people only went to Thailand to see the temples? 5555

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I remember being in Romania and it turned out to be their Easter.... a few weeks later than ours.. and everything was shut for one of the days... even the hotel I stayed at wouldn't serve food... nothing was open... was quite eerie...
    was in Bali during Nyepi , was okay because we were in a group so bought food and drink and spent the evening in someone's room , all bars and restaurants closed , only cars allowed on the road were to/from the Airport

I would avoid similar holidays in future
    Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    was in Bali during Nyepi , was okay because we were in a group so bought food and drink and spent the evening in someone's room , all bars and restaurants closed , only cars allowed on the road were to/from the Airport

I would avoid similar holidays in future
    Agreed. I unwittingly booked my trip to Thailand during Loi Krathong last year. The dates of Loi Krathong change every year, and last year they happened far earlier than normal in early November. I arrived in the Bangkok airport and the place was a total shambles of massed humanity trying to get out of the city. My normal 2 hour wait for a flight to Chiang Mai turned into an 8 hour ordeal. That was on top of having already spent 20 hours traveling from Canada.

Then, when I finally got to the Chiang Mai airport there were 320 people in front of me waiting for a taxi into town. I just put one pack on my back, loaded my carry on luggage onto my bag with the little wheels, and walked the 3 km to my hotel. The traffic was so busy that walking was faster than riding in a taxi. I passed the lot of them stuck in a big traffic jam. I was totally thrashed by the time I got to my hotel, but happy to get there.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Alcohol sales ban tightened for Asanha Bucha, Lent
    July 26, 2018
    Police will strictly enforce the ban on liquor and beer sales on Asanha Bucha (July 27) and Buddhist Lent, Royal Thai Police deputy spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said.
    He said Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda had instructed chiefs of the nine provincial bureaux and Metropolitan Police Bureau to be strict about the ban on Friday and Saturday.

The ban goes onto effect at 12.01am on Friday and remains in place through midnight Sunday.

If the alcohol ban is for 48 hours from 1201am friday my maths say they should sell alcohol from 1201am Sunday morning (all day fri & all day sat) ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    The little bloke gets a holiday from school and all's it's done is rain....just talking to him..cabin fever mak mak 55 poor kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I had Easter in Kiev in 2004 and seem to recall it was at the same time as ours...sunday on or after the first full moon after the equinox.

Going to a nice little church where everyone held candles was a nice experience,the whole city actually....followed by a few rounds back in the room with the local girlie.
    Quarky likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Ao said traffic was crazy this weekend

She left her house in BKK at 12am Thursday night/Friday morning and she said still heavy traffic

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Today 12 August, Sunday, Her Majesty the Queen's Birthday and Mother's Day

Pity the local high school children on Mother's Day, events run from 8am to 8pm today, the ones in the school marching band had to be there 6.30am getting prepared for parade through town, and they have several performances during the day for groups of government people.

Day off school, and work, tomorrow as the day is Mondayised when on a weekend.

Mother’s Day was first introduced to Thailand on 15th April, 1950. In 1976, Mother’s Day was changed to 12th August to commemorate the birthday of Her Majesty Queen Sirikit ,the Mother of all Thai people.

Every year during the month of August, Thai households and public places will be decorated with lights, decorations, and portraits of the most beloved Queen Sirikit in celebration of the day of Her birth.

In the morning, an alms-giving ceremony will be held followed by country-wide candle-lighting ceremony and fireworks displays.
    Last edited by Hatari; 12th August 2018 at 11:25.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Just on the phone to the wife, all the mothers in the Village are together being entertained by the kids. Big day for the old girls.
    Mothers of all ages as are the "kids".