Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thai department stores: Tesco Lotus, Big C, Robinson's

Thai department stores: Tesco Lotus, Big C, Robinson's

When we lived in Sa Kaeo 2010 a trip to the Big C (not very big at all compared to city ones) in SK town was seen as a sort of civilised outing, 92km round-trip from where we lived.

After-all, it had western style toilets ...

And the usual stores inside: KFC, Mister Donut, Dairy Queen, and a cafe that sold something not quite resembling coffee

Next closest Big C was in Aranyaprathet on the Cambodian border (Poipet), also location of the local immigration office, a 130km journey

At that time, no sign of a large Tesco Lotus store in the area, though there was a TL Express in Khao Chakan with our nearest ATM outside, became my regular cycle ride, 26km each way, I ride for cash ....

Know your Big C

2016 figures

Big C Supercenter A Big C Supercenter is a hypermarket targeting mid-to-low income customers offering value through combination of low prices, wide selection, clean and efficient shopping environment, and good service. There are 105 Big C Supercenters in Thailand as of 2016.

Big C Extra Hypermarket targeting mid- to high-income customers. It offers a wider range of premium fresh and dry food items, imported products, and wine than a Big C Supercenter.[3]:10. There are 15 Big C Extra stores in Thailand (2016)

Big C Jumbo hybrid hypermarket/wholesale store targeting wholesale and retail customers and large families. There are two Big C Jumbo stores in Thailand (2016)

Big C Market is supermarket format, targeting mid- to low-income customer.
    The smaller size of a Big C Market enables penetration in areas outside the main district of a province. It is designed to be the largest modern retailer in its service area. The stores differ from traditional supermarkets that concentrate mainly on food by offering a range of products from fresh food to electronics.
    As of 2016, there are 31 Big C Markets scattered around Thailand.[16]

Mini Big C is a "proximity store" format targeting mid- to low-income customers. Mini Big C stores carry a larger assortment than typical convenience stores and offer selected promotional items. The average size of a Mini Big C store is around 80250 m2, open 24/7. There are 394 Mini Big C stores in Thailand (2016)

Pure by Big C drugstore format offering pharmaceutical, health, beauty, and wellness products. Most of Pure drugs,Promotion, Blond Kid, ores are in Big C hypermarkets and Big C Markets. There are 134 Pure outlets in Thailand (2016).
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    These stores do seem to be a fabric of the culture over there

I think it ties in with a growing middle class and a switch to more acceptance of Western lifestyles

Even though they aren't comparable in experience it sort of reminds me how Whole Foods and the higher end grocery stores in North America seem to be more than just a trip to the grocery store, like when we were kids

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    The shopping centre's that seem to keep building and building are the Central Plaza's, to me they are identical to a shopping centre in Australia and are popping up in every major city in Thailand..............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Group
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Terminal 21 is almost coming to completion in Pattaya ( huge building near the dolphin roundabout ) weird thing about this brand and the hotels they have attached , Grande Centre Point , is they are dry ... none of the restaurants or shops sell alcohol apparently - founded by a Thai and now a public company , no idea why they have decided against allowing alcohol to be sold

December 2011 the first Big C for Chanthaburi opened, east side of city

Biggest drawcard for us was the five extra cinemas for the city, the other five being at Robinson's across the river

And the same support shops as all the other Big C stores

Makro is our go to food supermarket though it's not a department store per se.

Our BigC mall holds all the banks and franchise restaurants though KFC is the stand-out best and well patronised. Number 8/Ichiban is consistently good whilst Black Canyon is absolutely terrible.

In the north we're spoilt for choice of imported and local goods plus fresh produce though lacking in quality (ocean) seafood.

TescoLotus malls compete with BigC head to head and TL food-courts are superior in our opinion.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Always felt at home in a Big C i guess because it's western style and not your boonie type Thai market...although i can cop them too.

MK was,and still is,my go to restaurant in LOS.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

There's been a big Tesco Lotus store in central Chanthaburi city since ... don't know, was here in 2010, and in 2015 a small TL supermarket opened here in Tha Mai, about 800m from where we were living at the time. Now we're 2km away, but still handy for us
    No hardware, electronics, whiteware, clothing, bicycles, just a basic range of food and grocery products
    Has a few small shops inside, phones (3), Casio watches; there was a cafe but no demand, closed in three months

July 2017, and the Tha Mai Tesco Lotus store needs sandbags, built in a regular flood-prone area
    Last edited by Hatari; 26th August 2018 at 18:27.

Tesco Lotus - 2000 stores

Tesco Lotus stores currently operate in five formats:
    Extra, Hypermarket, Department Store, Talad, and Express.
    Extra, Hypermarket, and Department store formats have an extensive fresh food, prepared foods, and grocery offerings as well as a non-food offerings including electrical appliances, apparel, toys, stationery, and household goods. Talad is a "supermarket format" selling mainly groceries.
    Express is a convenience "mini-supermarket" format. Many of the products on the shelf are Tesco house brand products.

The bigger stores are often set in malls and have food courts and many other shops and stalls available as well as large car parks.
    Temperatures are kept at a relatively cool 26C.

Most recently, in April 2013, Tesco Lotus introduced online shopping.
    As of early-2018, Tesco Lotus's total retail floor space stood at 1.4 million m2.
    In August it opened store number 2,000 in Thailand.
    Its biggest competitor in the Thai market is Big C
    Last edited by Hatari; 26th August 2018 at 17:18.

Tesco Lotus opens high-tech new store in Nonthaburi

NONTHABURI, 23rd August 2018 (NNT) – Hypermarket chain Tesco Lotus has launched its latest store in Bang Bua Thong district of Nonthaburi, offering customers self-service checkout technology in order to keep up with the 4.0 era.

The Bang Kruai-Sai Noi Branch is the newest and the 2,000th branch of Tesco Lotus. Intended to serve as the model for “4.0 Stores”, it is equipped with the “Scan as You Shop” technology from England which provides shoppers with more speed and convenience.

With the self-checkout feature, customers can scan items they want to purchase and put them in bags by themselves.

Moreover, they can choose to pay with a QR code in line with the cashless society concept.

This branch also has a Green Lane to serve customers who don't wish to receive plastic bags, free Wi-Fi available throughout the premises and a recycling machine, in which customers can deposit recyclable items in exchange for points.

Mr Boonyarit Kalayanamit, Director-General of the Department of Internal Trade, pointed out that Tesco Lotus plays an important role in distributing income to rural areas as the company buys produce directly from agriculturists. The new Bang Kruai-Sai Noi Branch also allocates a space at no cost for the sale of community products.

TESCO Lotus opened its 2,000th branch in adjacent Nonthaburi province today (August 23, 2018) after developing the large hypermarket as “store 4.0” with the introduction of Scan As You Shop technology from UK, Thai News Agency reported.

According to Tesco.com, Scan As You Shop is a quick and simple way for Clubcard members to shop.

You scan your shopping as you go, then pack it straight into your bags. Your scanner will even track your spend as you shop.

When you’re done, there’s no need to unpack it. Just go to the Scan As You Shop payment area, scan the barcode at the top of the till, pay and off you go.
    Last edited by Hatari; 26th August 2018 at 17:23.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I usually do most of my regular shopping at Lotus Tesco in Chiang Mai, but only because Big C is a little further away. The Airport Plaza is over priced by comparison to the central city markets. I've always found Robinsons over priced in any Thai city I've visited. I can buy cheaper in Canada. But, as I keep saying, you really have to know your prices on EVERYTHING... from food to clothing. It can really vary. Because I spend half my time in Canada and half my time in Thailand I get a chance to comparison shop and understand what are good deals and what aren't. I've always found that good quality running shoes are cheaper in Canada than in Thailand... but the shirts I like I can only find in Thailand.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I use Makro for fresh meat, seafood, veg and a few specialty items which the other stores don't carry...they are consistently the lowest price point of the supermarkets

Tesco because its close to home (3 mins on the scoot) and for the things that only come in bulk at Makro...like water, soft drinks etc...and occasionally prepared meals like a whole cooked chicken or frozen goods...

I go to Big C about once a month for a few of the imported items they carry which the others don't...Its in Chaweng about 20 muins away but if it were closer I would prefer it over Tesco

I also like Tops here...they have a great bakery, do some nice Thai prepared dishes/food and also have some items the others don't carry..but they are way more expensive than the others above...especially on Fresh Food..although their quality on FF is excellent...

I also shop at the local 7/11 and Family Marts too...usually just for one or two items at a time...like an ice-cream. Pepsi Max or a treat

^ Oh...and when I am in Chiang Mai I love to go to Rimpings...I really wish we had one of those here on Samui....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ Tops was good for bread and cheese in CM but everything else food wise was usually Rimping.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^ Oh...and when I am in Chiang Mai I love to go to Rimpings...I really wish we had one of those here on Samui....
    Rimping supermarkets are great though I feel they may be struggling following recent expansion. Surprising VillaMart isn't on KS.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

^ No...and I would love one...when I lived in Phuket (Kamala) I would ride all the way down to Rawai/Chalong to shop at The VillaMart about once a fortnight...about 40 mins on the scoot...I'd always buy some AUS Wagyu steaks and some very good quality AUS Sirloin Minced Beef from them as well...then I'd hit the bakery, cheese and wine section...before grabbing a packet of Tim Tams, some Rosella chutney and a few other Aussie favourite treats on the way out..loved that joint...and still hit it in BKK when I up there (on SukSoi11 or 33)...

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Rimping supermarkets are great though I feel they may be struggling following recent expansion. Surprising VillaMart isn't on KS.
    Rimping is closer to my hotel than Tesco Lotus, but I've found their prices higher for everything. However, they do carry imported items not found in other stores. So, if you have your heart set on some food item that you can't find anywhere else, then Rimping is the market for you. All their stuff is high quality.

“When you’re out to shop, 7-Eleven’s the place to stop”

With over 8,000 7-11's in Thailand this article makes interesting reading. I wonder if CP Group, owner of Thai 7-11, also takes 59% of the gross profit?

https://qz.com/emails/quartz-obsession/1627494/
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    “When you’re out to shop, 7-Eleven’s the place to stop”

With over 8,000 7-11's in Thailand this article makes interesting reading. I wonder if CP Group, owner of Thai 7-11, also takes 59% of the gross profit?

https://qz.com/emails/quartz-obsession/1627494/
    I shop frequently at the local 7-11 near my hotel, but only for a few things like half loaves of whole wheat bread, or little things to tide me over until I can do a proper shop. I buy most of my meat, veggies and fruit at a local open market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast