Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: English signage in Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Hmm.. After 2000 years, I would say the predominant language in science is still Latin.. And the upcoming language is binary..
    Scientifically, the English language creates problems, not about the language in itself, but because of the persistent usage of local terminology, inches, pounds, miles and stones.. Which did major damage to NASA programs and many other issues..

I would agree that English is more expressive than Dutch or German, but French or Spanish, I don't know..
    The primitive languages meant to be a general language over tribal languages, like Swahili or Bahasha are way easier, mostly phonetic and with consistent rules..

I agree with the script thing, and I do agree the English language will be pretty dominant in the Western world for some time..
    But English is in no way a lingua franca, which is not even an English term and in history was a mixture of French, Italian and Spanish, so not a real language but rather a mixture of languages to create common ground..
    Ha, I guess it could be argued that Latin is the predominant language in science, but you are just talking Nomenclature. If a Chinese scientist wants to publish his work for a Global audience, it will not be in Latin although many Latin names will be used.

English is also heavily borrowed from many languages. Many of our military terms are French for example. I am not saying with pride that English is or should be the predominant language. Only that if you want to be a pilot, you do not have to learn Dutch to do so.
    Last edited by Cippy; 3rd September 2018 at 06:50.
    Minder and Ian Forbes like this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Hmm.. After 2000 years, I would say the predominant language in science is still Latin.. And the upcoming language is binary..
    Scientifically, the English language creates problems, not about the language in itself, but because of the persistent usage of local terminology, inches, pounds, miles and stones.. Which did major damage to NASA programs and many other issues..

I would agree that English is more expressive than Dutch or German, but French or Spanish, I don't know..
    The primitive languages meant to be a general language over tribal languages, like Swahili or Bahasha are way easier, mostly phonetic and with consistent rules..

I agree with the script thing, and I do agree the English language will be pretty dominant in the Western world for some time..
    But English is in no way a lingua franca, which is not even an English term and in history was a mixture of French, Italian and Spanish, so not a real language but rather a mixture of languages to create common ground..
    God! You take things so literally ...5555

....Look, think of it this way ... if you had to travel the world and visit 100 countries but could only use one language to communicate with anyone you met what would that language be ... Swahili ? or French, Italian ,Spanish? or good old mother English?

And...this discussion is probably moot as technology will most likely soon remove the need to ever know another language via some electronic Babel Fish in my ear .. 555
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    God! You take things so literally ...5555

....Look, think of it this way ... if you had to travel the world and visit 100 countries but could only use one language to communicate with anyone you met what would that language be ... Swahili ? or French, Italian ,Spanish? or good old mother English?

And...this discussion is probably moot as technology will most likely soon remove the need to ever know another language via some electronic Babel Fish in my ear .. 555
    Isn't language intended to be literally? 555

Thing is, you native English speaking see English as the world language, but so do the German, the French, the Spanish and the Portuguese!
    There are no 100 countries you could communicate in English in, nor in French, Spanish or Portugese... So I would let the Euro (or Dollar, same, same) do the talking and hire an interpreter in each country..

I don't expect you or anyone here to talk Dutch to me, not even when you would visit me in my country... And when I am in Germany I speak German, in France I speak French.
    And yes, in Thailand I will mostly talk English, because my Thai is not good enough for conversation.. But I try to greet in Thai, to order in Thai when I can, and before I switch to English I will ask if they speak English..

Just assuming anyone will speak your language is rude, and stating that you don't need to learn another language because the rest of the world will speak yours is more than a little arrogant.. Capice? (one of my few words of Italian.. 55)

Thing is, you native English speaking see English as the world language, but so do the German, the French, the Spanish and the Portuguese!
    There are no 100 countries you could communicate in English in, nor in French, Spanish or Portugese... So I would let the Euro (or Dollar, same, same) do the talking and hire an interpreter in each country..

I don't expect you or anyone here to talk Dutch to me, not even when you would visit me in my country... And when I am in Germany I speak German, in France I speak French.
    And yes, in Thailand I will mostly talk English, because my Thai is not good enough for conversation.. But I try to greet in Thai, to order in Thai when I can, and before I switch to English I will ask if they speak English..

Just assuming anyone will speak your language is rude, and stating that you don't need to learn another language because the rest of the world will speak yours is more than a little arrogant.. Capice? (one of my few words of Italian.. 55)
    I don't see anybody here being arrogant or saying that we refuse to adapt or even get pissed if someone in their native countries don't speak English. We are only saying English is the language that is used as a common language, for good or bad.

English not even the most widely spoken by numbers, Mandarin and Spanish have more Native speakers. But if those Native speakers want to work in the Global economy or hold certain professions, its English.
    Ian Forbes and Stillearly like this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    I don't see anybody here being arrogant or saying that we refuse to adapt or even get pissed if someone in their native countries don't speak English. We are only saying English is the language that is used as a common language, for good or bad.

English not even the most widely spoken by numbers, Mandarin and Spanish have more Native speakers. But if those Native speakers want to work in the Global economy or hold certain professions, its English.

1 in 5 of the worlds population speak English

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    1 in 5 of the worlds population speak English

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Interesting. This backs up what i say about Native speakers,but not totals. A quick search found an artical to back up both of my assertions though. 555

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/t...-in-the-world/

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I don't see ANYONE anywhere who speaks only Latin as a language. 555

Quarky and Cippy like this.

Sure this has been posted before

Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

I think this is a case where you are letting some sort of pride get in the way of what is as clear as day

English is the dominant language of the world
    There really is no refuting that

That doesn't mean that you assume people should speak English

But go anywhere in the world and English will be used to a degree
    Whether it is on signs, menus, service staff at hotels and restaurants

You literally can't say that for any other language

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Sure this has been posted before

Funny as that is, I've seen a teacher in Kanchanaburi teaching just like that. My kids had to deal with her. She was a pompous bitch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12