Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: English signage in Thailand

English signage in Thailand

Not looking answers to why (I doubt anyone would know for sure), just educated guesses....

I raised the question to a former TGF who just shrugged her shoulders and replied dun know

Everywhere you go, there is street signage, banners, retailers that display English text..... As one could appreciate, the average Thai would look at the text and it would mean nothing to them and might as well be written in Chines from a westerners prospective.

Thoughts

9AE51278-51EF-4C0D-BD0A-FEF0A5820492.jpg

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I wonder if the training material and the tests at the driving school are in English as well, cause that would explain a lot.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    It was a lot of years ago now ..but when I went to Korat, the only signs i could read was MacDonalds, KFC, Toyota etc everything else was in Thai.

One thing about going bush in LOS, you find it hard to read anything or to find someone to speak with, and it makes you realize just how had it must be for a working class /lesser educated girl, to move to ar Western country. It must be so daunting.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    It was a lot of years ago now ..but when I went to Korat, the only signs i could read was MacDonalds, KFC, Toyota etc everything else was in Thai.

One thing about going bush in LOS, you find it hard to read anything or to find someone to speak with, and it makes you realize just how had it must be for a working class /lesser educated girl, to move to ar Western country. It must be so daunting.
    They sure learn "Ingrish" a whole lot quicker than we learn Thai. 555

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    age would have a lot to do with that, kids pick up language quickly
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Maybe by necessity when they get involved in the Biz, or with a farang. But it always amazes me that so many kids get through their 7 years of English without being able to speak English. The teachers can't even speak it.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Maybe by necessity when they get involved in the Biz, or with a farang. But it always amazes me that so many kids get through their 7 years of English without being able to speak English. The teachers can't even speak it.
    I think it's a case of necessity being the motherhood of invention. Most of us here are lucky we have English as a mother language. Fair or not, it seems to be the universal language of commerce. That may change in the near future with Chinese taking over everything.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    That is not amazing at all.. Schools focus on the written English, which besides the language requires learning the Roman alphabet.
    Conversational English is not in the program..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    That is not amazing at all.. Schools focus on the written English, which besides the language requires learning the Roman alphabet.
    Oh C'mon. If you spent 7 years learning to write English I think you'd have some clue. I'm told they do a lot of "repeat after me" lessons.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Oh C'mon. If you spent 7 years learning to write English I think you'd have some clue. I'm told they do a lot of "repeat after me" lessons.
    " A appon, B beah, C cat.." 555
    Yeah, they like to do that kind of thing a lot and most Thai can still do the sequences..

But it's only 1 subject for kids between 6 and 14, where the emphasis is on the prayers, discipline and reciting the full name of Bangkok.
    No one in the village will speak English, English speaking TV is dubbed and music is Thai music..

English is the only subject in school in our alphabet, which by itself is challenge enough.. Just see how the distinguish between the R and the L..
    Pronunciation will always be the way Thai pronounce, with the emphasis on the last vowel (Piz, battaliie, etc.)

In other words, English language is not really taught in Thailand, just basic familiarity with Roman script and a few basic words.. Soon to be forgotten after school because not practiced..

^exactly why I brought my daughter home, I could not afford International school and she is a smart kid.

^exactly why I brought my daughter home, I could not afford International school and she is a smart kid.
    She got some smart parents and at least one very smart grandparent I know...
    Ian Forbes likes this.

She got some smart parents and at least one very smart grandparent I know...
    Yeahhh maybe. She has some pretty dense relatives too. 555 On both sides. Getting a mix from opposite ends of the gene pool helps I think.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I think kids are actually being taught English a lot better now just in regular schools in Thailand than they were even just 10yrs ago

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    IMHO Youtube and the Internet is teaching English to Thai kids more than their local school is.

English is the world's lingua franca and if Chinese is ever going to replace that it won't be for a few hundred years yet.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Nechtan
    Most Thais that I know or come across seem to be able to read basic English (except the very poor due to education) Businesses putting English signage is maybe a way of seeming more international or more important.
    Last edited by Nechtan; 2nd September 2018 at 21:50.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Not sure their tinglish add-on helps much sometimes .. 555

IMG_20171221_083639.jpg

Quarky likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    IMHO Youtube and the Internet is teaching English to Thai kids more than their local school is.

English is the world's lingua franca and if Chinese is ever going to replace that it won't be for a few hundred years yet.
    Chinese will never become a ubiquitous language for the same reason Thai won't. Unless they change their alphabet, nobody is going to want to do business in that language.

Besides, the jack is already out of the box. The reason English is so widely spoken is because it was the language in which the world started doing widespread global business and in which global travel became available to the common man, it is the predominant language in science. It is the language in which we name many new products. A compact Disc in Spanish is compacto Disco, for example

English is also way more expressive than most languages. We have many many words that some up an expression or even a whole sentence. This makes it simpler, which does sound intuitive, but true.
    Minder and kaptainrob like this.

Chinese will never become a ubiquitous language for the same reason Thai won't. Unless they change their alphabet, nobody is going to want to do business in that language.

Besides, the jack is already out of the box. The reason English is so widely spoken is because it was the language in which the world started doing widespread global business and in which global travel became available to the common man, it is the predominant language in science. It is the language in which we name many new products. A compact Disc in Spanish is compacto Disco, for example

English is also way more expressive than most languages. We have many many words that some up an expression or even a whole sentence. This makes it simpler, which does sound intuitive, but true.
    Hmm.. After 2000 years, I would say the predominant language in science is still Latin.. And the upcoming language is binary..
    Scientifically, the English language creates problems, not about the language in itself, but because of the persistent usage of local terminology, inches, pounds, miles and stones.. Which did major damage to NASA programs and many other issues..

I would agree that English is more expressive than Dutch or German, but French or Spanish, I don't know..
    The primitive languages meant to be a general language over tribal languages, like Swahili or Bahasha are way easier, mostly phonetic and with consistent rules..

I agree with the script thing, and I do agree the English language will be pretty dominant in the Western world for some time..
    But English is in no way a lingua franca, which is not even an English term and in history was a mixture of French, Italian and Spanish, so not a real language but rather a mixture of languages to create common ground..
    Quarky likes this.

One of the main things about English, despite all its faults, is it can still be understood even when not written or spoken properly. You can't do that with other languages. Europeans come to North America and every one of them know enough English to get by. German tourists seem to be quite fluent in English.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast