Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Moo Uaon
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 1 Post By Nomad
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix

Thread: Physical Therapy in Thailand

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337

    Physical Therapy in Thailand

    I guess this would be a question for expats

    How prevelant is physical therapy in Thailand?

    It's a degree my stepson has expressed interest in but my wife doesn't think it's that prevalent in Thailand

    Although her friend that I am pretty close with and sort of in a different demographic(ie rich 5555) said that it is a growing field

    Which I could see that

    Anyone have any idea about that?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,941
    I've had a bit and the Physio needs to take control of the situation with your injury and push the patient to do what's best for them which Thais aren't good at.
    Mine was rehab for a torn and reconstructed ACL.
    In the end went to the internet and found what I should be doing and that was pool therapy which worked wonders for it in the end.
    Yes they have hospital physiotherapy clinics and the ones I used were overrun/stretched to the limit with patients.
    Zablive likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Yes they have hospital physiotherapy clinics and the ones I used were overrun/stretched to the limit with patients.
    That is good to hear that there is demand

    But a lot more to consider also

    Thank Lew

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    7,161
    Hey Paul, not sure if this helps, Janice did it for 12 months when she was young. She gave it up because of no demand for it and hard to get a job. Even if you found a job it was low wages. I know Phils is a different country to Thailand, but the reason was people just don’t have the money to spend on it. I’m sure the same issue would apply in LOS.
    Zablive likes this.

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,941
    Yeah I don't think it's highly paid and I was under the impression that it came under the healthcare system there and the reason there was so much demand.
    The level of professionalism didn't appear high.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Hey Paul, not sure if this helps, Janice did it for 12 months when she was young. She gave it up because of no demand for it and hard to get a job. Even if you found a job it was low wages. I know Phils is a different country to Thailand, but the reason was people just don’t have the money to spend on it. I’m sure the same issue would apply in LOS.
    That's exactly why I am asking the question

    That has been Ao's concern from the very start, that there really isn't a demand
    Lew says there is but doesn't seem a "higher end" demand

    Physical Therapy is usually paid for by insurance and I don't know how many are insured like that in Thailand

    His teacher suggested, and I readily agreed, that he should go into Hotel Management

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    That's exactly why I am asking the question

    That has been Ao's concern from the very start, that there really isn't a demand
    Lew says there is but doesn't seem a "higher end" demand

    Physical Therapy is usually paid for by insurance and I don't know how many are insured like that in Thailand

    His teacher suggested, and I readily agreed, that he should go into Hotel Management
    Not moving to Canada to study? If he is, then will demand in Thailand be relevant...may never go back.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    7,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Not moving to Canada to study? If he is, then will demand in Thailand be relevant...may never go back.
    And would the demand be in Canada? if so, how does it pay?

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Not moving to Canada to study? If he is, then will demand in Thailand be relevant...may never go back.
    That is my preference but not what he wants
    Can't really force him even though that is what I think is best

    I said my peace but I'd never force anything on him

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    And would the demand be in Canada? if so, how does it pay?
    Huge demand in North America and pays pretty well

    You also have a lot of sports teams from Pro, Minor Leauges, University down to high school
    So many opportunities to work in the sports field also doing physical therapy

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Not moving to Canada to study? If he is, then will demand in Thailand be relevant...may never go back.
    By the way his mom is pushing Military University on him big time
    So he may well end up realizing my preference is the best one for him 5555

    She just signed him up for a 5 week training course through the Military school that puts him through drills and then the academic part 5555

    Sort of a prepatory course to see how he likes it and can handle it

    PS....He's going to hate it!
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 13th December 2018 at 13:08.
    Nomad likes this.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,331
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    That is my preference but not what he wants
    Can't really force him even though that is what I think is best

    I said my peace but I'd never force anything on him
    I agree with you there, but what is wrong with having it as a sideline? Have a "paying" career in Thailand, but run a small physio-therapy clinic privately. Like most things in Thailand there is a very slow growth towards western thinking.

    There is a fellow I meet at the Maddog cafe every Friday, Monday and Tuesday to watch NFL. He is an osteopath and does some private work in Chiang Mai, helping people with physical joint pain. I don't think he makes a lot of money, but enough to supplement his living expenses here.

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    By the way

    I think, based on going through it with my niece and now my stepson, that Thailand makes kids declare their major way too early

    Unlike North America where you can enter University and just take electives the 1st year
    Then figure out what you want to major in

    You can even put off declaring until the 2nd year in some cases

    I just think it's a lot to put on an 18yr old kid

    Especially in a country where it's not like you can just get a job anywhere
    It seems pretty degree specific
    Ian Forbes likes this.

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,331
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    By the way

    I think, based on going through it with my niece and now my stepson, that Thailand makes kids declare their major way too early

    Unlike North America where you can enter University and just take electives the 1st year
    Then figure out what you want to major in

    You can even put off declaring until the 2nd year in some cases

    I just think it's a lot to put on an 18yr old kid

    Especially in a country where it's not like you can just get a job anywhere
    It seems pretty degree specific
    It took until my second year at university before I realized my original intention of being a biologist was a dead end career in Canada. That is why I switched to forestry.

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    It took until my second year at university before I realized my original intention of being a biologist was a dead end career in Canada. That is why I switched to forestry.
    Exactly
    And these kids are forced to choose when they are 17/18yrs old

    At least that's been my peripheral experience of it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •