Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The big storm of 2018 in the tourist areas of the south

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Unlike other groups I could mention, they didn't ask for handouts from the Canadian government that had treated them so badly.
    I don't like willy nilly handouts either, but you treat people like that and steal their property then you better have some fucking compensation for them after. I don't understand what's so noble about not wanting at least your own goddamn house back, or it's equivalent in cash.
    Quarky likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Long prior to the First World War, the Chinese and Japanese Canadians had built up considerable wealth in property... mostly rich farm land. Prior to the Second World War, the Japanese Canadian citizens were all hard working people who legally owned a lot of property in prime locations. And let me stress the point that they were CITIZENS, and not just foreign investors.

I can understand that in times of war that security is of utmost importance and normal laws can be superseded. I could make allowance for them to be put in concentration camps. When I was a kid I visited some of those old camps after the war. They weren't too bad, and much better than the military camps in Japan or Germany. But, they still were a form of isolation.

But, like everything in government (even today) there are people who will bend the rules, or even change laws to allow a few of the politician's "friends" to benefit from everything. Such was the case of the Japanese Canadian's property. It was sold for pennies on the dollar to wealthy friends of the politicians. I personally know some wealthy families who made a larger fortune marketing off the Japanese land.

About 2 or 3 years ago the Canadian government acknowledged their "theft" and made an "official apology', but that was pretty much it. No compensation was given.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    One thing I've learned about Asians is they don't seem to complain after a disaster such as this. They just get down to work and fix the mess. That was really noticeable after the Tsunami in 2004. Same with the Japanese Canadians after the Second World War. They were put in concentration camps, and their legally owned land was stolen from them. After the war they were just turned loose with only the clothes on their back. Despite racial problems, and through shear tenacity and hard work at menial jobs, they gained back what they had lost. Unlike other groups I could mention, they didn't ask for handouts from the Canadian government that had treated them so badly.
    Hey we agree!

After the tsunami I was so impressed with how the Thais just got on with building everything back up

Coming from NYC just a few years early after 9/11 where it seemed everyone had such a "poor me" attitude

Of course a massive terrorist attack is different than a natural disaster
    So it understandably shook people's pyshce

But I still saw such a difference........

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Hey we agree!
    That is a first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I don't like willy nilly handouts either, but you treat people like that and steal their property then you better have some fucking compensation for them after. I don't understand what's so noble about not wanting at least your own goddamn house back, or it's equivalent in cash.
    They tried that on South Africans.... shock horror... they might want some of it back one day...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    They tried that on South Africans.... shock horror... they might want some of it back one day...
    Didn't work in Canada, though. Our First Nations want it all back, but along with all the perks they didn't have originally: like free hospitals, dentists, police protection, highways, vehicles, the wheel, and grocery stores where they get a huge discount.

Platinum
    The storm last week filled up the beaches her with a lot of sand, the 2 umbrellas to the right in this picture is the same hight as the one to the right, this beach is probably 1 to 1,5 meter higher then before the storm.

I think the beach dogs will love these 2 umbrellas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The other umbrellas are now for "shorter" people. 5555

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12