The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The big storm of 2018 in the tourist areas of the south

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

The big storm of 2018 in the tourist areas of the south

Any word from the members here who live near where the storm hit: Chob and Bacwaan just to name two.

I have been following it on the news and would suspect the internet would be affected somewhat. The current news is mostly in Thai that I don't understand. The foreign news seems a day or two late.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    They've been posting I think so they're fine. Looking at live cams, Samui is only looking slightly windy and there are people on the beaches of Phuket.
    Worry is a misuse of the imagination.

Cadet Bronze
    On Phuket it rained a little yesterday off and on. It felt like a typical low season day. Today sunny.

Phuket was pretty much unaffected.
    Zablive and Bacon like this.

Platinum
    The storm at my house was not very strong compared to the storms I'm used to in Norway, but my house was sheltered by big palm trees so I did not get the full force. I have a friend who have his house 5 meter form the sea said it was the worst experience in his life and he was shure he gonna die, this guy have been in the military since he was 18.

Sent fra min GT-N7000 via Tapatalk
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    The storm here lasted about 36-48 hours and bought strong wind and heavy rain...there was quite a bit of interruption...the ferries and planes stopped for about 24 hours (closed on Friday) and the power went down for about 4 hours..there was lots of local flooding and trees down but the worst damage was done to the beaches and sea..

The sea is brown and unswimmable from all the dirt/silt washed into it from rainwater overflow and there are loads of flotsam and jetsam floating around out there..some of it in the form of whole palm trees + restaurant furniture bobbing about...and many of the beaches have been washed away and stripped of much of their sand

when they opened the ferries and airport yesterday it was chaos...there were loads of people who wanted out and many more who just didn't arrive...making other plans...I saw an article which said that number was something like 50K people...this will certainly put a huge dent in the peak season tourist business this year
    Rockitt, Ian Forbes, Bacon and 1 others like this.

Thanks for the on site report, baccy and anmeno. I'm happy you guys didn't have any personal damage. When I looked in the news there was a spinoff to other events in the past like the Tsunami in 2004 and the terrible Tsunami in Japan in 2011. Bloody horrifying video. I couldn't imagine being there at that time. Many people were standing around taking pictures without realizing the danger they were in.

Platinum
    I said that I was sheltered for the storm by trees that is correct but trees can also be a problem in a storm...

The day before the storm we cut down some of the neighbours trees, but we left 2 tall one because the wife did not want problems with the neighbour, some hours into the storm the wife realised that leaving them was a big mistake because they was now threatening to fall on the house.

So she called over her brother to cut the tree, I told her that this was a crazy idea in a storm with the win blowing directly on the house, my protest was not taken well so the first solution was to attach a rope as high as possible in the tree and while the brother should cut it I was sent with the rope to drag it away from the house when it fell. When I came on the other side of my wall I saw that a big tree already had fallen on the neighbours shed and almost into my wall, so I was now standing in water to my knees holding a rope attach to a tree that should hopefully protect the tree from falling on my house while a bunch of other trees was threatening to fall on me, with all this to think about I did not think about all the nice creatures that cold be in the water. Just before the brother was ready to cut I managed to convince them that this project was a to crazy, so onto solution number 2.

I guess the trees that we had problem with was about 20 meters high an was some kind of palm, her brothers work is to cut palms and luckily he has the tools he use for his work at home so he took the knife that he uses to cut palms an cut away all the leafs from the top of the palm, with all the leafs cut of the problem was solved.

One more tree story.

I have a friend that has a resort on the beach, he would not leave the resort for the storm, but his wife did not dear to stay so she took shelter with the cook that lived far from the beach. The cooks garden is full with coconut trees and when the wind came the coconuts started to bombard the house so his wife was so scared that she came back to the resort.

I hate to give that a "LIKE", anmeno... but those are crazy stories and quite an adventure that will stick with you for a while.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Its 2019 Mr Forbes 5555

Glad the storms didn't do much damage...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Its 2019 Mr Forbes 5555

Glad the storms didn't do much damage...

See, You guys are correct.... I'm stuck in the past. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post

See, You guys are correct.... I'm stuck in the past. 555
    We know longer write paper tickets at work
    It's all electronic now
    But back in the day it would take a good 3 months to get the year right

Platinum
    One more from the storm.

Before the storm I drove down to the beach to take some pictures. I stoped at my friends house to see how he was doing, he was in front of his house where he had some concrete furnitures that was crashed against the house by the waves. I said I would help to move them because they would crash tru his windows when the waves became bigger, he said that they was to heavy but I said lets try. First we took the four benches then one tabletop that was really heavy, but we managed to move it away. The last tabletop was on his balcony tree steps up from the beach he went first down the steps and when i followed I got one step down and then realised that this gonna be a problem it was so heavy that I had to sit down with the tabletop on topp of my knees I tried to get up but not possible so he had to set his side down and come and help me lift it off me and we managed together to push it away from the windows. Later in the storm waves was on his balcony and crashing against his big windows so if we had not moved them they would probably have been tru the windows.

I was down with him today and we start talking about the furnitures that he now had dig out from the sand with the help from some other friends, he said that he have tried to lift the tabletop and he could not so the only explanation he had that we could do it when waves was crashing against our feets was adrenalin.
    Ian Forbes and TLandHim like this.

Platinum
    Today we drove down to where the storm hit land first Pak Phanang, this is the same place as the 1962 storm had the landfall.

As you can see on the picture trees was snapped as they where matches, the same with power poles.

The General is apparently coming to visit tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ian Forbes and TLandHim like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Thanks for the updates and glad you all came out unscathed.

Will be a shame to see the island suffer tourism wise, especially given the time of year.

Aside from picking debris out, do you think the beaches will recover naturally by themselves over time or will they need manual intervention?
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Cadet silver
    Thankfully the storm was something of an anti-climax. Most Thais remember Typhoon Gay which developed in much the same way and the same place and left around 800 dead, so all the warnings were justified. I lost a few friends among the 91 who perished when the DS Seacrest turned turtle.
    Bacon likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ a good clean-up will be required...but mother nature will return the sand back to the beaches...

But I won't be swimming in the sea here for at least a week or so....I'll give it time for the silt and flotsam + jetsam to flush away or get washed up...it still looks like this up there atm

lamibeach.5thjan.19a.jpg
    TLandHim likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    One more from the storm.

Before the storm I drove down to the beach to take some pictures. I stoped at my friends house to see how he was doing, he was in front of his house where he had some concrete furnitures that was crashed against the house by the waves. I said I would help to move them because they would crash tru his windows when the waves became bigger, he said that they was to heavy but I said lets try. First we took the four benches then one tabletop that was really heavy, but we managed to move it away. The last tabletop was on his balcony tree steps up from the beach he went first down the steps and when i followed I got one step down and then realised that this gonna be a problem it was so heavy that I had to sit down with the tabletop on topp of my knees I tried to get up but not possible so he had to set his side down and come and help me lift it off me and we managed together to push it away from the windows. Later in the storm waves was on his balcony and crashing against his big windows so if we had not moved them they would probably have been tru the windows.

I was down with him today and we start talking about the furnitures that he now had dig out from the sand with the help from some other friends, he said that he have tried to lift the tabletop and he could not so the only explanation he had that we could do it when waves was crashing against our feets was adrenalin.
    You need to stop helping people before you get yourself hurt 55.

Glad it wasn't as bad as the one Buksida described.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Worry is a misuse of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^ a good clean-up will be required...but mother nature will return the sand back to the beaches...

But I won't be swimming in the sea here for at least a week or so....I'll give it time for the silt and flotsam + jetsam to flush away or get washed up...it still looks like this up there atm

lamibeach.5thjan.19a.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Looks devastating.

One thing I've learned about Asians is they don't seem to complain after a disaster such as this. They just get down to work and fix the mess. That was really noticeable after the Tsunami in 2004. Same with the Japanese Canadians after the Second World War. They were put in concentration camps, and their legally owned land was stolen from them. After the war they were just turned loose with only the clothes on their back. Despite racial problems, and through shear tenacity and hard work at menial jobs, they gained back what they had lost. Unlike other groups I could mention, they didn't ask for handouts from the Canadian government that had treated them so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Same with the Japanese Canadians after the Second World War. They were put in concentration camps, and their legally owned land was stolen from them. After the war they were just turned loose with only the clothes on their back. Despite racial problems, and through shear tenacity and hard work at menial jobs, they gained back what they had lost. Unlike other groups I could mention, they didn't ask for handouts from the Canadian government that had treated them so badly.

I never knew that. Interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast