Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: travel insurance

  1. #1
    Cadet Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    adelaide
    Age
    59
    Posts
    433

    travel insurance

    Hi all well i have just read a story about a british lady who has wound up in hospital in thailand , not sure what the cause of her demise was but the story goes that she has a 600,000 baht bill no travel insurance and no money to pay the bill with .

    Apparently she didnt take out travel insurance when coming to thailand as she was only going for a short holiday , it makes me angry as i have seen a few of these cases where they want to keep there money for spending on whatever or just cant be bothered to take out insurance as nothing will ever happen to them and when it does its of to the "go fund me bank " to get everyone else to foot the bill for there tardiness .

    There is another case i read about yesterday of a young lad from england who was sadly killed in a motorcycle accident this lad was only 17 years old and by the sounds of it no insurance either now his parents have the unenviable task to recover his body back home from reports thankfully the british embassy are assisting in this .

    What gets my back up is how these people or more why they do not take out insurance and when s*** hits the fan expect everyone else to pick up the peices , i think in the future it may well get to the stage that authorities in thailand will make sure you have insurance before you enter the kingdom as has been muted before ,i would not even consider leaving here without it even if it meant taking out 200 dollars or whatever from spending money to make sure if i was injured i had a backup same as if things go bad and i have to return earlier i always have enough coin to jump on a plane asap .

    What are others thoughts about this ?
    Quarky likes this.

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,064
    My Health Insurance for work covers me for travel
    I make sure I have all the #'s saved on my phone and also printed out with my policy

    Also my Credit Card covers me also if trip is under 14 days
    crispy likes this.

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    A condition of entry is a great idea.

    A yearly policy if you travel a bit is the best way.

    I struggle getting insurance for my sport. 3 years ago I was coved but now all the insurance companys changed the rules and dont cover Downhill or Enduro mountain biking for overseas if racing and Downhill isnt coved at all. My last few trips my cover is ok for everything eles but if I crash racing im stuffed.
    crispy likes this.

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,890
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Hi all well i have just read a story about a british lady who has wound up in hospital in thailand , not sure what the cause of her demise was but the story goes that she has a 600,000 baht bill no travel insurance and no money to pay the bill with .

    Apparently she didnt take out travel insurance when coming to thailand as she was only going for a short holiday , it makes me angry as i have seen a few of these cases where they want to keep there money for spending on whatever or just cant be bothered to take out insurance as nothing will ever happen to them and when it does its of to the "go fund me bank " to get everyone else to foot the bill for there tardiness .

    There is another case i read about yesterday of a young lad from england who was sadly killed in a motorcycle accident this lad was only 17 years old and by the sounds of it no insurance either now his parents have the unenviable task to recover his body back home from reports thankfully the british embassy are assisting in this .

    What gets my back up is how these people or more why they do not take out insurance and when s*** hits the fan expect everyone else to pick up the peices , i think in the future it may well get to the stage that authorities in thailand will make sure you have insurance before you enter the kingdom as has been muted before ,i would not even consider leaving here without it even if it meant taking out 200 dollars or whatever from spending money to make sure if i was injured i had a backup same as if things go bad and i have to return earlier i always have enough coin to jump on a plane asap .

    What are others thoughts about this ?

    The only thing that comes to mind is som nam na.
    crispy likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  5. #5
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,589
    I would like to see it mandatory or you can't exit you own country. In other words to be able to book a flight you must have a policy number.

    So many times when these idiots with out cover, get into trouble it is their embassy that has to help and that costs our taxes.

    I am like all of you, always covered and for unlimited size motor bike riding. It isn't all that expensive, I think my last trip, for 2 weeks it cost $78??? That was thru RACQ (Royal Auto Club Qld) that I am already a member of.

    I think the gofundme sites are a great idea but for people that have, thru no fault of their own, developed illness that costs a lot to treat.

    Shouldn't be for some idiot that has disregarded advise and then gotten into trouble.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,474
    I don't understand why they don't bother to buy it. The cost is minuscule compared to what they would have paid for the flight. And there are so many options too.

    Agree it should be a condition of entry. Perhaps a check at immigration or even at check in when departing, and if anyone doesn't have one then they are forced to buy it there and then on the spot.
    MarcTwoSix likes this.

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    638
    Most airlines have it as an add on now a days!! There is NO excuse.

  8. #8
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    A condition of entry is a great idea.

    A yearly policy if you travel a bit is the best way.

    I struggle getting insurance for my sport. 3 years ago I was coved but now all the insurance companys changed the rules and dont cover Downhill or Enduro mountain biking for overseas if racing and Downhill isnt coved at all. My last few trips my cover is ok for everything eles but if I crash racing im stuffed.
    Condition of exit even better. Might be difficult to check if insurance is legitimate in a foreign jurisdiction but as it is usually bought in the country of first departure a system could be put in place to check reference numbers to see if insurance valise . With Data Protection Regulations in the EU it makes it very difficult to transfer personal information outside EU and whitelist countries. Without checking whether the insurance is valid it would be pointless checking.
    OZZYGUY and Tingtong like this.

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,064
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I don't understand why they don't bother to buy it. The cost is minuscule compared to what they would have paid for the flight. And there are so many options too.

    Agree it should be a condition of entry. Perhaps a check at immigration or even at check in when departing, and if anyone doesn't have one then they are forced to buy it there and then on the spot.
    I had no idea about travel insurance in my 20's when I travelled overseas
    Kind of stupid

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,064
    Just go to Panama
    They give free 5k insurance for anyone entering as a tourist

  11. #11
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Just go to Panama
    They give free 5k insurance for anyone entering as a tourist
    Travel insurance is really dirt cheap. I pay about 55 euro for unlimited travel for up to 600k medical expenses and different amounts for other categories all well above worst case. For the sake of 55 I cannot understand why people would take the risk. Definitely in the past it wouldn’t be in the psyche of tourists but travel insurance advertisements are everywhere here now and are concentrated on all transport into the airport.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorius View Post
    Travel insurance is really dirt cheap. I pay about 55 euro for unlimited travel for up to 600k medical expenses and different amounts for other categories all well above worst case. For the sake of 55 I cannot understand why people would take the risk. Definitely in the past it wouldn’t be in the psyche of tourists but travel insurance advertisements are everywhere here now and are concentrated on all transport into the airport.
    As I said before my health insurance provides travel insurance

  13. #13
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    As I said before my health insurance provides travel insurance
    It was funny that I had pet insurance for De Niro but didn’t have health insurance for myself. Have it now. They offer travel insurance but cheaper to buy off a separate company rather than bundle it together.

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    Besides me does anyone actually read the full PDS to see what you are and are not coved for?

  15. #15
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    49,906
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Besides me does anyone actually read the full PDS to see what you are and are not coved for?
    Yes.. started doing that to see if I was covered during the Bangkok demonstrations in 2010... 55
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    I only stared reading them about 5 years back. Also realised they don't cover STD's..... 555

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,064
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Besides me does anyone actually read the full PDS to see what you are and are not coved for?
    Yeah for sure
    Why wouldn't you?

    Does the travel insurance you buy pay it up front?

    Mine I'd have to pay and get it back

  18. #18
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    49,906
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I only stared reading them about 5 years back. Also realised they don't cover STD's..... 555
    Nor anal sex.. so if you are gang-raped by a bunch of LBs on Bush Mountain... you're on your own!
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    Nor anal sex.. so if you are gang-raped by a bunch of LBs on Bush Mountain... you're on your own!
    Or by Cashpoints view
    You hit the jackpot!
    OZZYGUY likes this.

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yeah for sure
    Why wouldn't you?

    Does the travel insurance you buy pay it up front?

    Mine I'd have to pay and get it back
    Yeah mine I pay up front too,

    I just dont get coved for my sport but anything eles im covered so still take it out. If I crash hard I will just tell them I fell off the hotel balcony or something....55

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •