Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Monk/Buddhist Ceremony/Party

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But that's a bit different than throwing a party in the village

It's a code of sorts that you give money when you attend

Plus where you are throwing it is an expat/tourist area where you don't have the allegiances that you have in the village
    Or should I say the expectations more than allegiance for most
    It is a LOT different than what you are talking about, but what I was pointing is that any time there is a party where the attendees receive more than they contribute then there will be a gang of moochers. It's only human nature..."Money for nothing, chicks for free"... Dire Straits.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    It is a LOT different than what you are talking about, but what I was pointing is that any time there is a party where the attendees receive more than they contribute then there will be a gang of moochers. It's only human nature..."Money for nothing, chicks for free"... Dire Straits.
    Well
    I don't think anyone should throw a party expecting the attendees to contribute more than they recieve

I actually don't think anyone should throw a party and expect anything in return, IMO

Like in your example
    You decided to have a party and invited people
    I don't think you should then expect them to have to support the business
    Now it would be very nice if they did but I don't think it should be expected

But I also think you have every right to decide throwing future parties is a waste
    And think you were very smart to realize that

To be honest one of the reasons I don't like big formal parties is the expectations and drama of it all

When we do have a big Monk party for my stepson I will try and stay as far away from the planning as I can
    And I dread listening to my wife bitching that this one didn't give a big enough cash gift, etc

I remember being 21-22yrs old when my sister got married
    I think it wa 350 people at the wedding and being at my Aunt's before the Church and it just being total chaos
    People crying over shit, getting upset
    Just seemed so ridiculous to me, all of it

As you know all too well, I don't an argument or a scuffle
    But I despise drama like the it's the devil

And to me, most of these big parties are just a drama fest for months
    Ian Forbes likes this.

I'm thinking more in line about a house party when lot of uninvited "guests" turn up and change the whole atmosphere. Those often happened during my teenager years. Nobody should expect guests invited for an evening to someone's home should have to bring anything, although most usually do bring a bottle wine or desert.

Thailand is too different to try and compare, but it's has been my experience that in rural Thailand if someone is having a party then word seems to travel like wild fire and a whole lot of people that nobody knows turn up and want to be fed and "watered". It's just the way Thailand is. I've seen it a half dozen times or more..

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    To me this "monk party" thing has gotten out of hand in Thailand...the same way 21st parties did in AUS when i was young and the way weddings have gone all around the world these days...

what started out as a family get together on the eve of a boys "novicehood' to wish him well and send him on his way has turned into another huge public display and bragfest...which flies in the face of what the kid is actually doing when you think about it...

It used to be just the father/grandfather/mother/grandmother/uncles/aunties and close family members/friends taking a clip of a boys hair before the full shavedown that happens the day before he goes through the rites of passage that involves a stint in the monkhood...after that a nice family get together with a meal..normally a multitude of dishes each prepared lovingly and bought to the gathering by an "Aunty"..booze was frowned upon (though as always consumed by the naughty "uncles") and money did not make an appearance

For me the westernisation of Thailand is exemplified by this turn for the worse...like songkran it has lost its innocence and meaning....as each of these important cultural events in the life of Thais gives way to just another "party mindset" Thailand loses its way even further, and is on the way to losing the history + richness of its culture...
    Quarky, justcruzing1, Rivo and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    To me this "monk party" thing has gotten out of hand in Thailand...the same way 21st parties did in AUS when i was young and the way weddings have gone all around the world these days...

what started out as a family get together on the eve of a boys "novicehood' to wish him well and send him on his way has turned into another huge public display and bragfest...which flies in the face of what the kid is actually doing when you think about it...

It used to be just the father/grandfather/mother/grandmother/uncles/aunties and close family members/friends taking a clip of a boys hair before the full shavedown that happens the day before he goes through the rites of passage that involves a stint in the monkhood...after that a nice family get together with a meal..normally a multitude of dishes each prepared lovingly and bought to the gathering by an "Aunty"..booze was frowned upon (though as always consumed by the naughty "uncles") and money did not make an appearance

For me the westernisation of Thailand is exemplified by this turn for the worse...like songkran it has lost its innocence and meaning....as each of these important cultural events in the life of Thais gives way to just another "party mindset" Thailand loses its way even further, and is on the way to losing the history + richness of its culture...
    I've never known anything but those big parties going back 16 years

So I wouldn't have anything to compare it to

I've actually quite liked some of the ones I went to

I'm just not paying for one for Nut 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I'm thinking more in line about a house party when lot of uninvited "guests" turn up and change the whole atmosphere. Those often happened during my teenager years. Nobody should expect guests invited for an evening to someone's home should have to bring anything, although most usually do bring a bottle wine or desert.

Thailand is too different to try and compare, but it's has been my experience that in rural Thailand if someone is having a party then word seems to travel like wild fire and a whole lot of people that nobody knows turn up and want to be fed and "watered". It's just the way Thailand is. I've seen it a half dozen times or more..
    Has anyone done any research, where they correlate the difference between how many people show up if a Thai man compared to a Farang man is paying?
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post

OK. Settle down Debbie Downer...5555 But you are very wise...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Has anyone done any research, where they correlate the difference between how many people show up if a Thai man compared to a Farang man is paying?
    At these monk parties or you mean parties you see beer bars throwing?

Because it wouldn't matter one bit with the Monk parties at all

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    The rural ones that I was at it was all Thais with other Thais. If there is free "anything" then extra people seem to mysteriously find out and appear out of the woodwork. 555

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12