Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Monk/Buddhist Ceremony/Party

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    18,797

    Monk/Buddhist Ceremony/Party

    Ao was at one of these for her friend's son

    It was 300k baht and not even that great of a party!

    I had no idea those cost that much

    I told her she knows I pay any reasonable price for school no questions asked but there is no way I am spending 12k on that

    I honestly thought it would be 100-150k tops

    That's crazy

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,771
    What are these things?
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    18,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    What are these things?
    When a boy turns 20yrs old, usually around that age, they go "become a monk" for anywhere to a week to much longer

    There is a ceremony at the temple but then a big party afterwards
    Food/booze/tables set up and a band and sometimes dancers

    Sort of like a Sweet Sixteen(if you know those) but for a boy

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    18,797
    And I've been to a couple really good ones with a huge band and dancers

    But I honestly would have guess those would have cost half of what this one she just went to did

    I am shocked

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,771
    I'd be taking that figure with a big bag of salt. 99% of Thais could neither afford, nor would spend 300Ks on a party even if they could. Absolutely ridiculous.

    He's turning 20 and going off to become a monk. I'd get him a stripper and a keg.
    Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    18,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I'd be taking that figure with a big bag of salt. 99% of Thais could neither afford, nor would spend 300Ks on a party even if they could. Absolutely ridiculous.

    He's turning 20 and going off to become a monk. I'd get him a stripper and a keg.
    My wife doesn't muck around with that stuff

    And believe me, Thais come up with this money
    More than you think

    Well she already knows by our non-wedding that I think affairs like that are a waste
    So she knows she would have to pay a lot of it herself


    It was a funny conversation
    She was saying that his friend got called for the Air Force Academy and they want a 400-500k bribe but then there is no tuition
    I said yes, I would pay that in a heartbeat

    Then right after she talked about the monk party being 300k and I was like
    There is no way I am spending 300k on that!

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,771
    I bet it's a pissing competition. Face is the only thing they'd spend that much mullah on.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,387

    Monk/Buddhist Ceremony/Party

    Where the does the money go? Clearly it doesn't cost that much for booze and a band.

    Seems every big event or milestone there is an excuse to try extract money in some way.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,771
    Yeah I'm mighty interested in a cost breakdown. For something I haven't the remotest thing to do with, it's pissing me off way more than it should 555.
    Quarky likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19,679
    Our government in Canada does pretty much the same thing, except they have "conferences" in foreign countries during holiday seasons, and get to bring their families... all at the public's expense of course.
    Donald Trump has his "conferences" at some fancy golf course. 555

    It's a right of passage when you become a politician. 5555

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Our government in Canada does pretty much the same thing, except they have "conferences" in foreign countries during holiday seasons, and get to bring their families... all at the public's expense of course.
    Donald Trump has his "conferences" at some fancy golf course. 555

    It's a right of passage when you become a politician. 5555
    Trump usually goes to his own places. The costs are no doubt expensed back to the taxpayer, and they get to issue the bills. Imagine the padding.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,884
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Where the does the money go? Clearly it doesn't cost that much for booze and a band.

    Seems every big event or milestone there is an excuse to try extract money in some way.
    Hmm.. The guest lists are quite extensive, meaning any family will be invited, all the people in the Moo baan, all the fellow students of the boy in question... Will be well over 100 people, more likely over 250.
    All these people get a paper invitation, maybe an E-mail at first, but the paper invitation is part of the ceremony.
    Than there is the blessing, monks don't have income, but donations are set pretty steep.
    There are businesses that don't do anything else than rent out tables and chairs, plates and utensils for these type of ceremonies..
    And the bands that live of these kind of events.. A cheap one will be 20,000, but the prices go up to 150,000 for the band alone...

    And I haven't even mentioned food and drinks.. 555

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    18,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Yeah I'm mighty interested in a cost breakdown. For something I haven't the remotest thing to do with, it's pissing me off way more than it should 555.
    The best one I have been to was Ao's Aunt's son
    The band was awesome with dancers..........and honestly I wouldn't throw a party with a band much worse than they were

    As Rak said, the guest list can be pretty big and the bands are not cheap

    So if you have 150 people, with whisky on every table and flowing plus food, say 1k baht/pp is 150k right there
    Then as Rak pointed out, you have to rent the chairs and tables

    The monks.........

    So I guess I never thought about it, but it does add up


    People do give decent cash gifts, so you get a decent amount back

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19,679
    Everyone likes a free pissup, party and meal. Not much else exciting happening in a Thai village.

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,529
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    The best one I have been to was Ao's Aunt's son
    The band was awesome with dancers..........and honestly I wouldn't throw a party with a band much worse than they were

    As Rak said, the guest list can be pretty big and the bands are not cheap

    So if you have 150 people, with whisky on every table and flowing plus food, say 1k baht/pp is 150k right there
    Then as Rak pointed out, you have to rent the chairs and tables

    The monks.........

    So I guess I never thought about it, but it does add up


    People do give decent cash gifts, so you get a decent amount back
    So how do the poor people do it? ok they may get some money back in gifts but they gotta cough up first.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    18,797
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    So how do the poor people do it? ok they may get some money back in gifts but they gotta cough up first.
    You know I think a lot of BM's are under the impressive everyone in Thailand is oppressively poor
    Of course there is poor in Thailand but there is a lot more people with halfway decent financial resources then you think

    I guess it's hard for me to judge totally because Ao's village is considered pretty well off because of how good the land and farming are
    The village she was born in is relatively poor but even in that village kids have gone to University and have good jobs and contribute

    But I've been through a bunch of these parties now
    I've been through a few funerals(that aren't cheap either) and they somehow have the money
    Kids are out working and help out.
    I know a decent amount of Thais that work in places likes Korea in factory jobs that make more than you think

    So I guess with everyone pitching in and getting a decent portion back they make it happen

    All I know is I'm not spending 300-400k on a party like that
    I know it's important to my wife.....she had talked about it for well over 10 years
    So I'd help out a bit but she'd have to pay for a good chunk of it
    I just don't believe in spending that much on a party for one night
    Ian Forbes likes this.

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19,679
    I financed a couple of small parties for Thai ladies starting up a business. There were lots of attendees that turned up to eat the free food and drink the free beer and whiskey, but they didn't return later to support the business. After that I said fuckit.

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    18,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I financed a couple of small parties for Thai ladies starting up a business. There were lots of attendees that turned up to eat the free food and drink the free beer and whiskey, but they didn't return later to support the business. After that I said fuckit.
    But that's a bit different than throwing a party in the village

    It's a code of sorts that you give money when you attend

    Plus where you are throwing it is an expat/tourist area where you don't have the allegiances that you have in the village
    Or should I say the expectations more than allegiance for most

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,529
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    You know I think a lot of BM's are under the impressive everyone in Thailand is oppressively poor
    Of course there is poor in Thailand but there is a lot more people with halfway decent financial resources then you think

    I guess it's hard for me to judge totally because Ao's village is considered pretty well off because of how good the land and farming are
    The village she was born in is relatively poor but even in that village kids have gone to University and have good jobs and contribute

    But I've been through a bunch of these parties now
    I've been through a few funerals(that aren't cheap either) and they somehow have the money
    Kids are out working and help out.
    I know a decent amount of Thais that work in places likes Korea in factory jobs that make more than you think

    So I guess with everyone pitching in and getting a decent portion back they make it happen

    All I know is I'm not spending 300-400k on a party like that
    I know it's important to my wife.....she had talked about it for well over 10 years
    So I'd help out a bit but she'd have to pay for a good chunk of it
    I just don't believe in spending that much on a party for one night
    I’m not one of those under the impression all are poor in Thailand, keep in mind the reason I go to Thailand and the type of people I know in LOS are mostly (but not all) business people in the Mountain bike community. I don’t mix much with the less fortunate Thais only because I have never been exposed to a lot of it besides a few BG's , so I don’t really know a lot about how they live.

    What I was asking is how would the poor people pay this, just seems a lot of money.

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    18,797
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I’m not one of those under the impression all are poor in Thailand, keep in mind the reason I go to Thailand and the type of people I know in LOS are mostly (but not all) business people in the Mountain bike community. I don’t mix much with the less fortunate Thais only because I have never been exposed to a lot of it besides a few BG's , so I don’t really know a lot about how they live.

    What I was asking is how would the poor people pay this, just seems a lot of money.
    I guess they wouldn't just like any poorer people than any country

    I don't see it any different than here in North America
    Some people and families feel an event like that is important, and I understand that, so they will overextend themselves because they feel it is worth it

    So they manage to get the money somehow

    And depending on your financial situation then that depends on what the party will be

    I grew up in a culture like that and actually appreciate the importance of them
    But I just prefer having a smaller party with just family I am close with

    But I don't think others who want to have a big party are wrong or stupid to want that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •