Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Election fraud rampant in Isaan

Election fraud rampant in Isaan

Villagers are accepting handouts to vote for certain parties .... Same as before. 400 baht is the starting rate. One can guess which party is the predominant player.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Use to be 500 baht?
    Lots of BG's would return home to collect it.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Villagers are accepting handouts to vote for certain parties .... Same as before. 400 baht is the starting rate. One can guess which party is the predominant player.
    Is there more than one party?
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    The fact remains that it is still a 'secret ballot' so those paying didnt know if the recipient actually did vote for them,

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    The fact remains that it is still a 'secret ballot' so those paying didnt know if the recipient actually did vote for them,
    This thread is so KR..

One side came to power without elections,
    took 4 years to all but eliminate any opposition,
    Re-wrote the constitution,
    granting themselves with 1/3 of "the votes" prior to elections..

But KR would like to point out that "the other side" is cheating.. 555

This thread should really be on L3... mods.. mods...
    Norabunga likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    This thread is so KR..

One side came to power without elections,
    took 4 years to all but eliminate any opposition,
    Re-wrote the constitution,
    granting themselves with 1/3 of "the votes" prior to elections..

But KR would like to point out that "the other side" is cheating.. 555

This thread should really be on L3... mods.. mods...
    I think that both sides actually hand out the loot but as we know Isaan is a Thaksin/Reds stronghold.
    It could also be looked at as travel money as many/a lot of working age work well away from their home.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I really need to wear my Glasses more . At first glance I thought the Title Read 'Elephant Fraud" . Strewth !

Partially true Dean though it has always been the village elder or another well known local figure dishing out the money on the promise of a vote for xyz party. Family members report they vote for xyz party because of the handout not because they actually know what happens in Bangkok (with politics).

This practise was supposed to be illegal but a number of (political) parties have found the means. Contrary to Raks opinion I would like nothing more than a fair election free of vote buying.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I think that both sides actually hand out the loot but as we know Isaan is a Thaksin/Reds stronghold.
    It could also be looked at as travel money as many/a lot of working age work well away from their home.
    The Democrats tried to match handouts in one election year, long past, and failed to gain traction so it wasn't continued. Mr T had too a strong network of Pooyaibans and Kamnans well established throughout Isaan. Ppl in the south enjoyed a one-off election party drink!

Of 22 workers on the building site next door, 15 have gone home to Udon for the election [party in village]. When we asked the contractor why his men all went home to vote instead of doing it here in CM, he said "not get whiskey money here".
    Cheers, Rob.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Didn't Thaksin say that "money politics" wasn't working anymore as people were taking money from multiple candidates and then voting the way they wanted. That is why he devised a way to pay people after the vote....The Rice Scheme.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Partially true Dean though it has always been the village elder or another well known local figure dishing out the money on the promise of a vote for xyz party. Family members report they vote for xyz party because of the handout not because they actually know what happens in Bangkok (with politics).

This practise was supposed to be illegal but a number of (political) parties have found the means. Contrary to Raks opinion I would like nothing more than a fair election free of vote buying.
    "Fair election". Yeah. Like that's going to happen. The military junta had it rigged from day 1.
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    "Fair election". Yeah. Like that's going to happen. The military junta had it rigged from day 1.
    Ok ... well, fairer election. And no outcome is certain ... interesting day(s) ahead.

If the new Constitution and electoral system is 'rigged', it's against Thaksin and his criminal ilk. Long may they be banished to the desert!
    Cheers, Rob.

^You mean fairer as in a vote rigged in plain site... is fairer than a vote rigged by back-handers?

No outcome is certain? Pretty certain that General Prayuth will win with this big a head start... there will be a military coup if he doesn't!
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    ^You mean fairer as in a vote rigged in plain site... is fairer than a vote rigged by back-handers?

No outcome is certain? Pretty certain that General Prayuth will win with this big a head start... there will be a military coup if he doesn't!
    I'm in the south that is yellow territory, from what I have heard from people here is that they think the dictator will be disappointed when he gets the results from the election.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    I'm in the south that is yellow territory, from what I have heard from people here is that they think the dictator will be disappointed when he gets the results from the election.
    If he loses.. will they have to re-write the constitution again... to make sure next time?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    If he loses.. will they have to re-write the constitution again... to make sure next time?
    As it stands both sides don't have enough to form a government without forming some type of coalition with another party or parties.

Bhumjaithai will probably be the decider on who forms the government which will be good for anyone that likes weed as their platform calls for marijuana to be Thailand's new cash crop.
    Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 25th March 2019 at 00:18.
    Quarky likes this.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    As it stands both sides don't have enough to form a government without forming some type of coalition with another party or parties.

Bhumjaithai will probably be the decider on who forms the government which will be good for anyone that likes weed as their platform calls for marijuana to be Thailand's new cash crop.
    Cue in Willie and Merle.... "It's all going to pot" 555

Cadet silver
    This is Thailand so there is a way around everything. Two methods I have seen at previous elections are:

1. One empty ballot paper is required before the election - easy enough to get at the porous Sala-glang. The paper is marked with the correct vote and given to the voter who then inserts it in the ballot box. To qualify for payment the voter must return his empty ballot paper, given by the officials, to the canvasser who then re-marks it for the next voter.

2. Another one a few years later used a cheap mobile phone with a camera. The camera (with flash disabled) would be slipped to the voter. The voter filled in their vote and took a picture of it. The camera would be handed back to the canvasser who, after checking and deleting the photo, would give the voter his voucher to collect the cash elsewhere. The procedure would be repeated for the next voter.

I notice a couple of people in this election were busted for photographing their ballot so I suppose it is still going on.

I had a good friend who was a hired gun type canvasser "hua kanan" for many years back in the days when we had regular elections. She was apolitical and worked for whoever paid the most money and explained to me a lot of the dodgy practices. Business for her started to go bad in the Thaksin years as they didn't need to buy votes. A lot of her jobs were with the Democrats or Chart Thai but they didn't really expect to win where we live so paid less.
    Nomad and Moo Uaon like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    ^ Yes correct , and the EC has warned a few times that cameras are not allowed in voting booths and taking pics is a criminal offence.

My tg says that this never happened to her years back when she got 300 baht , then voted as she wanted to.
    But of course , like most Thais , she hasnt changed her 'address' , and wont bus it the 5 hours south to her home to vote.

It looks like Prayuth won anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast