Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Student Health Insurance

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Student Health Insurance

Is this available at University in Thailand?

In North America, you can get health insurance at very good rates as a University Student through school

Right now he has AIA, I think it was around 20k/year

Hard to find anything on Google, it is all geared towards International Students

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Don't know why a Thai student would need health insurance?

They are young and fit and medical consumption of that group is very low.
    And most (all?) Universities in Thailand have a medical post / dispensary where students can get advise, medication or referral to one of the Government hospitals (free).

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Don't know why a Thai student would need health insurance?

They are young and fit and medical consumption of that group is very low.
    And most (all?) Universities in Thailand have a medical post / dispensary where students can get advise, medication or referral to one of the Government hospitals (free).
    I've never in my life heard a doctor advice against health insurance(Edit.....but I definitely appreciate your input as a doctor)

I have no desire for my stepson to rely on the free healthcare, although it's very adequate if needed
    I am very happy with the private insurance he has had for years but if we can get the same level of private medical insurance at a discounted student rate, I would obviously go for that
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 27th March 2019 at 02:19.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I've never in my life heard a doctor advice against health insurance(Edit.....but I definitely appreciate your input as a doctor)

I have no desire for my stepson to rely on the free healthcare, although it's very adequate if needed
    I am very happy with the private insurance he has had for years but if we can get the same level of private medical insurance at a discounted student rate, I would obviously go for that
    You have never heard a doctor advise against health insurance? That surprises me!

The only certain thing about any kind of insurance is that the insurance companies make a profit, regardless what type of insurance..

The first principle of insurance is based on the law of the large numbers, meaning that a risk / change multiplied by large numbers becomes a certainty..
    This means that if one individual has a risk of 1% of something happening that costs 1000$, that is a risk..
    For 1000 individuals with the same risk, it means 9-11 will have this happening, with a cost post of about 10,000$
    Sell these 1000 individuals a policy of 20$ each, reserve 10,000$ for coverage, 3000$ for management of the claims and there will be about 7000$ in profits..

Second principle of insurance is the collectivity principle, meaning the ones with the lower individual risk cover the ones with the higher risk to some extent.
    This last principle has had a lot of backlash over the last few decades. It is simply no longer acceptable for the ones with the lower risk to pay the full-premium same as the ones with the higher risk.
    Human nature, but it's the end of insurance working properly..
    People who really need it get excluded from insurance, individual risk assessments will be done and discounts to the low-risk group will be given..

Which ultimately means that no single individual can benefit from insurance, because the premium is matched with your individual risk assessment and only upped with insurance claim-management and profits..
    The only things that are still worth insuring, is things with a very low risk and very high costs... Like lightening strike insurance..55

On the other hand.. When it comes to health insurance, much of the so-called civilized world has made some forms of insurance mandatory and have made acceptance by insurance companies equally mandatory..
    And than it works again!
    So I would never advise a Dutch person not to have health insurance (it's mandatory anyways) because the insurance companies cannot perform their exclusion criteria and refuse payment..

In "less-civilized" countries, there is often a scheme of free health care, like there is in Thailand.
    Basic health care, but free for all.. All you can insure is the "first-class" treatment, better hospital room and quicker access to health care..

Combine the two, and you have a young and healthy kid, with a very low need or risk for medical consumption..
    Who can access free health care..
    And realize that additional health care can be bought, if needed, for a fraction from what you would pay in the USA..
    Open hearth surgery with 30 days hospital admission and 3 months of rehabilitation therapy will set you back maybe half a million baht in a private clinic...
    But then the risk of anything like that is very close to zero...

So yeah, do the math yourself, but the risk of half a million baht with a risk-factor of close to zero and the option of using the free health care system...
    It does not justify to much of a premium....

You have never heard a doctor advise against health insurance? That surprises me!

The only certain thing about any kind of insurance is that the insurance companies make a profit, regardless what type of insurance..

The first principle of insurance is based on the law of the large numbers, meaning that a risk / change multiplied by large numbers becomes a certainty..
    This means that if one individual has a risk of 1% of something happening that costs 1000$, that is a risk..
    For 1000 individuals with the same risk, it means 9-11 will have this happening, with a cost post of about 10,000$
    Sell these 1000 individuals a policy of 20$ each, reserve 10,000$ for coverage, 3000$ for management of the claims and there will be about 7000$ in profits..

Second principle of insurance is the collectivity principle, meaning the ones with the lower individual risk cover the ones with the higher risk to some extent.
    This last principle has had a lot of backlash over the last few decades. It is simply no longer acceptable for the ones with the lower risk to pay the full-premium same as the ones with the higher risk.
    Human nature, but it's the end of insurance working properly..
    People who really need it get excluded from insurance, individual risk assessments will be done and discounts to the low-risk group will be given..

Which ultimately means that no single individual can benefit from insurance, because the premium is matched with your individual risk assessment and only upped with insurance claim-management and profits..
    The only things that are still worth insuring, is things with a very low risk and very high costs... Like lightening strike insurance..55

On the other hand.. When it comes to health insurance, much of the so-called civilized world has made some forms of insurance mandatory and have made acceptance by insurance companies equally mandatory..
    And than it works again!
    So I would never advise a Dutch person not to have health insurance (it's mandatory anyways) because the insurance companies cannot perform their exclusion criteria and refuse payment..

In "less-civilized" countries, there is often a scheme of free health care, like there is in Thailand.
    Basic health care, but free for all.. All you can insure is the "first-class" treatment, better hospital room and quicker access to health care..

Combine the two, and you have a young and healthy kid, with a very low need or risk for medical consumption..
    Who can access free health care..
    And realize that additional health care can be bought, if needed, for a fraction from what you would pay in the USA..
    Open hearth surgery with 30 days hospital admission and 3 months of rehabilitation therapy will set you back maybe half a million baht in a private clinic...
    But then the risk of anything like that is very close to zero...

So yeah, do the math yourself, but the risk of half a million baht with a risk-factor of close to zero and the option of using the free health care system...
    It does not justify to much of a premium....
    I know all about how insurance works and I am more than comfortable paying the 1500-1700cad/yr it costs me for the piece of mind I never have to scramble and pay a big medical bill
    It is a big preference of mine
    I just hate having any worries when it comes to that............regardless what the odds say

I know all about how insurance works and I am more than comfortable paying the 1500-1700cad/yr it costs me for the piece of mind I never have to scramble and pay a big medical bill
    It is a big preference of mine
    I just hate having any worries when it comes to that............regardless what the odds say
    Do your stepson a favor, and put that cash in a savings account on his behalf..555

Do your stepson a favor, and put that cash in a savings account on his behalf..555
    Sooooooo......
    I guess you don't know if Universities offer health insurance to their students??? 5555

Sooooooo......
    I guess you don't know if Universities offer health insurance to their students??? 5555
    They offer a safety net as I see it...

And if you feel a dire need to part with your money, I am happy to provide you with my bank details... 555
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    All my boys had health care insurance included In their university tuition (California) at least I hope it was included...that made me help justifie the cost..

Do you mean like the UK? ..55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    Do you mean like the UK? ..55
    NHS is anything but free... I see it as a form on national insurance, only called different...
    And say what you want about NHS, the USA could learn a lot from it

NHS is anything but free... I see it as a form on national insurance, only called different...
    And say what you want about NHS, the USA could learn a lot from it
    True. It is called National Insurance 55

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    All my boys had health care insurance included In their university tuition (California) at least I hope it was included...that made me help justifie the cost..
    Yeah that's what I was alluding to
    But in Thailand, for me, would be a saving of probably 200-300cad if anything
    So not much but if same level of care provided, it's still a savings

His health insurance for the year is around 800cad
    Ao's is around 1100cad

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    True. It is called National Insurance 55

I don't understand why people in the UK try to mock or downgrade the NHS..

I worked in several countries and with several systems and I think the NHS principle is probably the best system working..
    Main reason is, while it is a form of national insurance, there are no insurance companies involved, unlike here..

Also the doctors have no limitations in their judgement, the law will follow the profession instead of the other way around..
    And sure, the NHS is not what it used to be because of the increasing claim on healthcare.. But that is no different from any other country..

In all, NHS is a very good working system, depending on what the government is willing to add to the healthcare of the British people..
    If the government is kiniauw, don't blame the doctors..

Yeah that's what I was alluding to
    But in Thailand, for me, would be a saving of probably 200-300cad if anything
    So not much but if same level of care provided, it's still a savings

His health insurance for the year is around 800cad
    Ao's is around 1100cad
    Put that money in a family health trust fund and all of AO's family could benefit..
    Her mom, her brothers and that cousin as well...
    You are blinded by the US prices of healthcare and want to protect your family from that..
    But they already are, they live in a different country...

I don't understand why people in the UK try to mock or downgrade the NHS..

I worked in several countries and with several systems and I think the NHS principle is probably the best system working..
    Main reason is, while it is a form of national insurance, there are no insurance companies involved, unlike here..

Also the doctors have no limitations in their judgement, the law will follow the profession instead of the other way around..
    And sure, the NHS is not what it used to be because of the increasing claim on healthcare.. But that is no different from any other country..

In all, NHS is a very good working system, depending on what the government is willing to add to the healthcare of the British people..
    If the government is kiniauw, don't blame the doctors..
    I won't mock it either. But it's changing. Merging with the public sector as a whole. Social Care is the elephant in the room that is still being pushed back and forth.

Put that money in a family health trust fund and all of AO's family could benefit..
    Her mom, her brothers and that cousin as well...
    You are blinded by the US prices of healthcare and want to protect your family from that..
    But they already are, they live in a different country...
    I've lived in Canada for more than the last 30% of my life(crazy)........I am not blinded by US prices, I don't pay them

But I also think you are severely underestimating how much healthcare in Thailand is when paying privately
    You talked about open heart surgery and a 30 day hospital stay being 500k
    My MIL just had outpatient cataract surgery and I believe was 70k for both eyes

I pay about 42k/yr for both of them
    I'd say through the year we would spend anywhere from 20-30k/yr in regular type doctor visits
    So I am paying a whopping 15k more for catastrophic events piece of mind..........that is more than acceptable by me

I've lived in Canada for more than the last 30% of my life(crazy)........I am not blinded by US prices, I don't pay them

But I also think you are severely underestimating how much healthcare in Thailand is when paying privately
    You talked about open heart surgery and a 30 day hospital stay being 500k
    My MIL just had outpatient cataract surgery and I believe was 70k for both eyes

I pay about 42k/yr for both of them
    I'd say through the year we would spend anywhere from 20-30k/yr in regular type doctor visits
    So I am paying a whopping 15k more for catastrophic events piece of mind..........that is more than acceptable by me
    Hey, I understand about the up-2-you, mai pen rai mentality..
    But basic health care is free, spending 20-30 K/y o n that is only making face...

Hey, I understand about the up-2-you, mai pen rai mentality..
    But basic health care is free, spending 20-30 K/y o n that is only making face...
    So now spending money on better health care for my wife and son is just for face???

Ok Doc
    I prefer my wife and son get better and easier healthcare just to gain some face
    Absurd on every level

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    One thing which scares me more than anything from Brexit and buddying up with the US is the potential for privatising parts of the NHS. It's utterly cringeworthy to see how their healthcare system has been run and I really hope we never go down that road.

M26 - perhaps try asking on Thai Visa or a Facebook group for Thai education. Someone there is probably more likely to know. Failing that, maybe get your Mrs to email/call the university to enquire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast