Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Chiang Mai Zipline Death

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Chiang Mai Zipline Death

I might give the zipline experience in Chiang Mai a miss I think...................................

CHIANG MAI: A Canadian tourist plunged to his death from a zipline at Mae Kampong village in Mae-on district of this northern province on Saturday, according to a local media report.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...zipline-plunge
    Stillearly likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I might give the zipline experience in Chiang Mai a miss I think...................................

CHIANG MAI: A Canadian tourist plunged to his death from a zipline at Mae Kampong village in Mae-on district of this northern province on Saturday, according to a local media report.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...zipline-plunge
    I've done Jungle Flight and personally checked all equipment before zipping away. This was a big boy and perhaps faulty or worn equipment being used.

A tragic accident.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I've done Jungle Flight and personally checked all equipment before zipping away. This was a big boy and perhaps faulty or worn equipment being used.

A tragic accident.

This looks a bit primitive to me....................

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post

A tragic accident.
    more like negligence
    Quarky and Tingtong like this.

I read in another news article that the company will fully compensate his family for their loss, how many baht are they thinking for his loss of life ?
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    This looks a bit primitive to me....................

Holy shizen ... that is totally inappropriate for the job. Negligence for sure!

I've had a crane with old concrete bucket onsite with better couplings and than that and I still requested a safety inspection.
    Rivo likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I did a zip line in samui. At the first ledge I looked down, saw what a drop it was and knew if it didn't work it was going to be serious, took a deep breath and jumped. It is crazy we put our lives in the hands of people we don't know in a third world. It was a great experience but when you read reports like the op, it is scary.

It is becoming way to a regular experience. A honeymooner died after he collided into his wife in Honduras. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8442546.html

Sometimes I think we leave our brains at the airport. Well I am only speaking for myself.
    Tingtong likes this.

Platinum
    Isnt Flight of the Gibbon one of the bigger operators in CM? That's probably the end of them now.
    Very sad. The guy was only 25. RIP.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Maybe this person didn't know

But Thailand would be the last place I'd do a zipline with how lax they are with everything

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Ah, it's only a Canadian. We are expendable.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    How tragic. To die on a holiday.

I've always refused to do any such activities in Thailand, including parasailing as I know how lax they can be with health and safety. I was tempted last year in Samui from up top at the Lamai viewpoint, but in the end decided not to.

125kg though. That's quite heavy. Are these types of rides meant to cater to someone that heavy in the 1st place?

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    125kg though. That's quite heavy. Are these types of rides meant to cater to someone that heavy in the 1st place?
    275 pounds is very heavy. However, the rigging and connections should have been more than strong enough to carry that.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    It is heartbreaking. There was a Kuwaiti guy killed in a bungee accident in Phuket in 2015. Then a couple of years ago an Aussie in his 60/70s who slipped through the parasail and died on impact. Rumors on that that there may have been foul play but I don't know.

When people are on holiday they take way more risks than they do at home. Probably a mixture of being relaxed, a bit of alcohol and not having to deal with every day life. I did a bungee in Colombia and on the way up the guy was asking had I told my mother I loved her and said goodbye. I asked him had he checked all the gear and when he said no I told him he would be better off doing that instead of asking me stupid questions. The. I realized I probably shouldn't be causing an argument with a guy who literally had my life in his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorius View Post

When people are on holiday they take way more risks than they do at home.
    My 1st trip to Thailand I went to see a crocodile show in Chiang Mai and ended up going inside the pen to get a pic kissing the one of the crocs. I'm assuming they are all drugged up, but still looking back I think that was silly of me and I'd never do anything like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    275 pounds is very heavy. However, the rigging and connections should have been more than strong enough to carry that.

Ok thanks. I wonder if the ride operators make you sign any waivers before going ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    My 1st trip to Thailand I went to see a crocodile show in Chiang Mai and ended up going inside the pen to get a pic kissing the one of the crocs. I'm assuming they are all drugged up, but still looking back I think that was silly of me and I'd never do anything like that again.
    The crocs are not drugged. They are just used to humans. I did the same as you after getting to know the handlers. But, I kept away from their "business end". 555 I dragged a couple around by the tail. However, I was told by the handlers not to touch one particular crocodile. They said he would bite, or try to bite anyone who tried it. They might look slow, but those buggers can move really quick if they want to.

Cadet Bronze
    same old --perhaps-this perhaps that

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Maybe this person didn't know

But Thailand would be the last place I'd do a zipline with how lax they are with everything
    I don't know, they seemed well prepared when I did in Samui. They gave me a tree branch to use as a break.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The crocs are not drugged. They are just used to humans. I did the same as you after getting to know the handlers. But, I kept away from their "business end". 555 I dragged a couple around by the tail. However, I was told by the handlers not to touch one particular crocodile. They said he would bite, or try to bite anyone who tried it. They might look slow, but those buggers can move really quick if they want to.

After the photo I made my way back to gate of the enclosure and ended up lost my balance and slipping in the water slightly. For a moment I thought that was it. 555

Makes you wonder how Tarzan lasted so long... did he pre-test every vine he used in advance?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Agreed, but it looks like it was repaired a few times.

Difficult to make a correct assessment without knowing its age, repair history and the skill set of the repairer.

Just seems like to many joins and clamps as a strop like that should be able to take a few thousand Kg's if intact.
    Cheers

Scottie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast