• 1 Post By bacwaan
  • 1 Post By 1080
  • 1 Post By retdent
  • 2 Post By bacwaan
  • 1 Post By 1080

Thread: health insurance for long term exptas

Cadet Gold

health insurance for long term exptas

Was listening to the pattaya news last night and apparently now it will be compulsory for long term expats over 50 to have health insurance before renewing their visas ,apparently it is because expats are having operations ect and the bill is being born by thai hospitals which is news to me as whenever i see a foreigner who doesnt have travel insurance it is always accompanied by a go fund me page but maybe so .
    It sort of makes you wonder if you live outside a major city bangkok ect what sort of medical treatment your health cover would get you ,now i know its their kingdom ect but if we tried that shit here in australia and said ok all you foreigners have to have private health insurance or we wont treat you there would be screams of racism and all sorts of carryon.
    At something like 60,000bt a year for coverage as suggested by the person reporting it seems like the thai government have found another way to skim the cash from the old farang not only do you have to keep renewing a visa to live there now you have to have compulsory health insurance as well along with your 800,000 baht thai bank account .
    I have to say that the more and more they keep putting this sort of thing onto the farang it makes me wonder if i really want to live there maybe it aint so great after all

I read the same news somewhere although I've seen no proof of this requirement though it could [perhaps should] be a mandatory requirement for certain visa groups where an IBD or income stream is not required.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet Gold
    Hi kaptainrob i went to the actual news sight and it is on there just to make sure .As far as i could read it it sounds like you have to have 40,000 cover minimum and up to 400,000 in out patient cover as i said if we tried this in australia there would be a massive outcry of racism .

crispy likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Rather than concentrate on people who are here on long term Visa's, the majority of the people who need assistance are the Tourists.
    They are the ones that normally need assistance if they stack a bike, come off a bike, fighting etc etc.

When you book an air ticket online, there is the provision to take out travel insurance or use your own.
    If they make it compulsory, if you tick that you want to take out insurance, then you are covered, if you indicate you will use your own insurance, then you have to supply the policy number before you can book your air ticket,
    That way everyone will have at least some basic coverage

By making it compulsory for the expats who live in Thailand full time, what happens in the scenario (where because of existing conditions), insurance companies will only cover you for the basics and not existing conditions.
    I have enough trouble getting someone to cover me for my existing conditions for a 2 week holiday, let alone living there full time.

Will long term expats now have to have a full medical and supply medical records to get the insurance.
    I can imagine if that is the case, it will cause no end of problems for people who are living there who cannot get cover.
    It might get to the stage, where if you cannot get insurers to cover existing conditions, that they start telling people to leave as they cannot get cover.
    Last edited by chelski; 16th May 2019 at 13:27.
    bacwaan and crispy like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    This debate has been going on for way longer than I have lived here...10+ years for me now

it bubbles to the surface every few years or so but seems to bubble back back down again without any action being taken...not saying that it won't happen this time...just that it is not the first time this has been mooted

It may be a breaking point on the back of the recent additional "amount seasoned in the bank account" rules for many O-A retirees here....there is already a lot of rumbling and murmering of disquiet amongst the expat community on that one...and I thought the justification additional funds (in the bank account) requirement was largely so expats were able to support themselves in times of emergency..medical being the number one most likely scenario...

Chelski is right that the vast majority of those skipping out on paying medical bills are short term tourists rather than expat retirees here...I have read this several times in articles when this move has been mooted before...

so another matter of let's just wait and see I guess
    crispy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    I want to say something about this issue but I can not decide where to start and my opinion would not change anything anyway.
    There are many threads over on TV.
    I will just wait and see where this insane proposal ends up.

I will say that I would rather spend 60K baht on a new scooter for the family than hand the same money over to an insuramce company for little to no benifit.
    So far, it may be only O-A visas but there is no "offical" clarification. That part shits me the most.
    crispy likes this.

I read on another forum that the insurance was only to be applied for those applying and getting their O-A visa in their own country. If that is the case, then those already here will not need to worry. Guys like one of our contributors, may come under the new mooted ruling. Maybe this is the thin edge of the wedge.

I feel for the borderline income folk that have Thai families with their own flesh and blood, as well as their partners children. So sad if families are split and the foreigner is ushered out.

Agree, at this stage wait and see.
    crispy likes this.

This is what I have read.

"According to the announcementon the Ministry of Public Health website, it does not affect anyone who stays in Thailand on an extension of stay based on retirement, "
    and then
    "Most retirees who stay in Thailand, do so on an extension of stay based on retirement. A non immigrant visa O-A can only be applied for at a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate overseas."
    and
    " An extension of stay based on retirement can only be obtained at an Immigration Office within Thailand"

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ wouldn't wanna hang my hat on that one Khun Retdent...my guess is that if it is applied....and that is still a big "IF".....it will be across all Long Stay Farang Visas/Extensions....same issue applies to all, so it doesn't make sense not to....

55555....I just read what I wrote back to myself on making sense....forgot where I lived for a minute....555
    kaptainrob and 1080 like this.

Many retirees here are extremely worried as it is nigh on impossible to obtain insurance once over 60/65 ... and especially for those with pre-existing conditions. Some, perhaps as large as 20%, can barely afford to maintain the 800k/400k deposit required for annual retirement/marriage extensions let alone fork out another 100k for health insurance.

I agree that tourists should be required to have insurance for anything beyond a transit stop [say 36 hrs].

A near neighbour in his 70's is extremely stressed by the uncertainty in all this. Aussie Mike moved here from PI after he lost a bundle on a resort there. He met his [now] wife at our local Medical Clinic and they've lived together for over 10 years on his Aus pension. The FX rate hit them hard and now this looms over them ... Mike and his wife have previously managed to scrape together whats needed to meet emergency health and household bills.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Well if you can get an Australian old age pension good luck and all that. If this shit affects me now or in the future then I will have to think long and hard about my commitment in LoS.
    I honestly do not want health insurance here and not at the rates proposed under any scheme devised by and in colusion with the companies put foward by the MOH. Fuck em.

And I only just got here.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

A more sensible approach has been put forward by the Tourism ministry. Let's hope the other nonsense dies a natural death.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tour...d-repatriation
    Cheers, Rob.

Cadet Gold
    That sounds like a better idea i think a lot of expats who do live there probably have health insurance or if they have prior ailments can shop around to get the best deal . I have seen a number of tourists who forgo having travel insurance for what reason i cannot fathom as there is no way i would travel anywhere without it , i think one of the biggest downfalls is when they hop on a scooter with one not haveing a licence or two not informing their insurance company they will be riding one and end up in hospital where as the insurance company will not pay .So in reality the system to charge every tourist 100 bt is a good idea as long as the money is used for what it is meant for i mean if i could get insurance for the poultry sum of $4.00 or their abouts id grab it with no quarms .At best it will cost me around 160.00 for a month stay through an insurance company here .

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Well if you can get an Australian old age pension good luck and all that. If this shit affects me now or in the future then I will have to think long and hard about my commitment in LoS.
    I honestly do not want health insurance here and not at the rates proposed under any scheme devised by and in colusion with the companies put foward by the MOH. Fuck em.

And I only just got here.
    I know at least 6 expats in Thailand who have homes there and support Thai families. They are already talking about pulling the pin if the stupid regulations go as claimed.