• 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 2 Post By Cashpoint
  • 2 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY

Thread: A mini-trip report with video I posted on Facebook.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

A mini-trip report with video I posted on Facebook.

When I'm not fishing I'm riding motorbikes. I have two licensed bikes (650 Suzuki and 250 Yamaha) in Canada and one in Thailand that I leave there. When winter steelhead fishing on the island took a nosedive and never recovered about 12 years ago, there was little sense in staying around for the winter, so I moved to Thailand for 5 months where I can live for free. I don't have to heat my home or pay for vehicle insurance, and I can ride in the warmth and sunshine for the winter. I've had a series of motorbikes and scooters that I've owned in Thailand, but now I just have just one that a friend looks after for me while I'm back in Canada. It is a 2010 Kawasaki 250 D-Tracker. I have ridden it 60,000 km all over Thailand (north to south and east to west) and I've never had a problem with it... other than falling off occasionally... but that is a different story... or stories.

In February 2016 my adult son came to visit me in Chiang Mai for two weeks. He picked the perfect time for a visit. The weather was great, and I rented him a couple of different motorbikes to try out. Matthew enjoys riding as much or more than me, but with a carpenter business to run in Victoria, and a family to take care of, he seldom has time for himself. This was one of those special times that he could get away on his own. I picked him up at the airport in Chiang Mai and he stayed in my hotel room. He met all my friends in Chiang Mai, as well as my sick lady friend (Pui) at her mother's home near Chiang Rai.

This video is a much edited clip of our ride north to the border of Burma (Myanmar) and up into the high mountain ridges that run along the border. One side looks down into Myanmar and the other side looks down into Thailand.

https://www.facebook.com/iangforbes/...813910716/?t=0

The 350 Yamaha road bike that I rented for Matthew only had 350 km on the tachometer when we got it, but it had almost 3700 km on the tach when we returned it 10 days later. The highways north to south in Thailand are mostly in the valley bottoms. But, all highways going east to west are twisty turny over mountain ranges, with lots of hairpin corners going up and down. In the mountains the roads tend to stay to ridge tops and undulate up and down. Thailand has a lot of deciduous forests, but most of the bigger trees have been cut down to form mountain farms. However, there are a good number of old growth forested National Parks.

This picture is from a popular circle route through the mountains north of Chiang Mai. The 100 km Samoeng loop route can be ridden in about 3 hours, but most people visit the many tourist spots along the way: a royal garden, an elephant protection farm, some waterfalls and a snake farm exhibit.

Matthew with the 350 Yamaha

I also took Matthew to visit some caves west of Samoeng village

OZZYGUY likes this.

When my lady friend, Pui was still healthy and alive in 2013, I visited her and her family in the village of Phan near Chiang Rai. Pui's mother wanted to see the Mae Fha Luang gardens in the north, as well as the high point of Doi Ang Khang park where the Thais go to camp and experience the cold. We drove up the steep road in the little 4 cylinder truck and it over heated. We had to let it cool down before we traveled further.

https://www.facebook.com/iangforbes/...4290125/?t=138

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Nice story Ian, looking forward to the day I can do that with my son.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Nice story Ian, looking forward to the day I can do that with my son.
    That day will come a whole lot sooner than you think... and scare you a bit about where the time went. 55
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    That day will come a whole lot sooner than you think... and scare you a bit about where the time went. 55
    Its already scared me about the time.........55

He got out on the scoot last time we were in Cebu and was only asking last week if we will be riding bikes again in Dec trip.

I get a bit scared when he rides in PI, he had a dirt bike as a kids so can ride ok but the roads in PI are nuts. Looking forward to taking him to North Thailand one day now he is old enough to ride.

Have you booked your ticket for this years trip yet? If so what date

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Have you booked your ticket for this years trip yet? If so what date
    Not yet because I have a doctor visit next Monday (7th) to learn more about my cancer. I have rough plans to make it about November 16. I don't want to arrive during Loi Katong festival like I did a couple years ago. I had to walk from the airport to my hotel because there was a one hour wait for a taxi.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Riding the highways of the Samoeng Loop have a few "OTHER" road hazards to look out for.

https://www.facebook.com/iangforbes/...72892107/?t=32

Not yet because I have a doctor visit next Monday (7th) to learn more about my cancer. I have rough plans to make it about November 16. I don't want to arrive during Loi Katong festival like I did a couple years ago. I had to walk from the airport to my hotel because there was a one hour wait for a taxi.
    Ok great let me know once you book and good luck with the doc.

I land 14th Nov
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Platinum
    The only option I have is to post a like - which didn't seem quite appropriate.

So - sorry to hear that and hope that things get better. Keep us posted.

PS a 5km (according to Google distance from CNX airport to city centre) walk should be nothing for a man like you! Quarky would run it.
    Last edited by Cashpoint; 2nd October 2019 at 17:08. Reason: 5km not one hour
    Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    The only option I have is to post a like - which didn't seem quite appropriate.

So - sorry to hear that and hope that things get better. Keep us posted.

PS a 5km (according to Google distance from CNX airport to city centre) walk should be nothing for a man like you! Quarky would run it.
    When you are almost 80, prostate cancer is something that most men should expect. The doctors have me on pills to cut down on testosterone. If you see me dancing with a group of ladyboys you'll know why. 555
    The walk from the airport to my hotel is easy if you are not carrying a bunch of luggage, but with the terrible traffic on a holiday weekend it was actually faster than taking a taxi.
    The only hassle is that sidewalks in Thailand are not meant for walking. They are used for commercial extensions of adjoining companies. 555
    PGC and MarcTwoSix like this.

When you are almost 80, prostate cancer is something that most men should expect. The doctors have me on pills to cut down on testosterone. If you see me dancing with a group of ladyboys you'll know why. 555
    The walk from the airport to my hotel is easy if you are not carrying a bunch of luggage, but with the terrible traffic on a holiday weekend it was actually faster than taking a taxi.
    The only hassle is that sidewalks in Thailand are not meant for walking. They are used for commercial extensions of adjoining companies. 555
    One of my earlier trips to CM I arrived at the airport with my bike in a cardboard box. Waited a bit to buy a pre paid taxi ticket then thought what the.....Pulled the bike out of the box put it together in about 5 minutes, gave the box to a security dude and rode to my hotel. Didnt have GPS and didnt know the way back then. Should have waited for the taxi got very lost....55
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    555 that cracked me up.

And I'm sure you'll be fine. Testosterone becomes even more important with age though, so hopefully you don't have to stay on the pills long.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.