Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Money exchange

Money exchange

Myself and partner head over to Thailand 8 Nov for a few weeks and will be taking cash (AUD) with us.... We will be spending a few nights in BKK and then thinking of taking a day trip to Pattaya (which I have never been) before driving South to Surat Thani...... I understand that the AU dollar atm is very week so, am wondering where should we exchange the bulk of our cash.... The partner is saying BKK (shes Thai) but I am thinking Pattaya as its a tourist area and I assume there will be plenty of competition among cash exchangers...... What do you reckon..... BKK or Pattaya...?..... Rates that can be expected for the Aussie dollar atm would be helpful too if any Aussies have been recently.... Cheers

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Welcome back Cobb assume its still the same girl,

Super rich money exchange has always been good. Google it for the locations.

I have just signed up for a money wise debit card, rates are good and can use at ATM or just pay with card when you can.

Super Rich exchange booth's can be found all over central BKK. Last week I was surprised to see kiosks at most major stations on the BTS.

Use an app on yr phone or watch daily fx graphs to pick a good day to change money at Super Rich. Mid week usually good.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Vasu in Bangkok if you are staying lower Suk

Vasu exchange :: ????????????????????????????????, money exchange, currency, rates, ???????

any TT booth in Pattaya they are everywhere , both with be good exchange rates , Vasu maybe slightly better , I would covert what you require before heading South

just checked Vasu 20.70 TT 20.68 today

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Superrich (the green one) has the best rates

https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en/exchange

Their Headquarters branch will give the best rate - today that's 20.75 - an easy walk from Chit Lom BTS - needs to be a large enough amount to bother with the trip though as their branches at places like Mega Bangna will pay 20.65 today.

You will need your passport or a photocopy of it for ID if on your own - they usually ask for your local phone number to.
    Life is the unexpected ...

A Tip:
    take a photo of your notes with the serial numbers before you hand them over, as well as being definate in how much you hand over. I have been done twice once in Soi Sansibi Patong, and again at a supposedly good one in CM just down from the iron bridge ($100Au and $100US).
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    A Tip:
    take a photo of your notes with the serial numbers before you hand them over, as well as being definate in how much you hand over. I have been done twice once in Soi Sansibi Patong, and again at a supposedly good one in CM just down from the iron bridge ($100Au and $100US).
    At Super rich?

Platinum
    A Tip:
    Great idea retdent
    I always count them out singly to the teller but there is always a little anxiety in case you have to discuss it with my non existent Thai and their broken English
    A picture would give great back up.

Always calculate how much you are going to get and always count it in front of them before you move away.
    I personally do not change money after about 8pm, just to lessen the risk of pick pocket etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Great idea retdent
    I always count them out singly to the teller but there is always a little anxiety in case you have to discuss it with my non existent Thai and their broken English
    A picture would give great back up.

Always calculate how much you are going to get and always count it in front of them before you move away.
    I personally do not change money after about 8pm, just to lessen the risk of pick pocket etc.
    the places I go to count them in a machine , usually twice both my currency and the Thai Baht , I've never had an issue ...
    PeteGill and OZZYGUY like this.

I have never had a issue in Thailand with money being wrong.

Bali well yeah almost every time.
    Tingtong likes this.

Thanks for the replies and tips.... Yes Ozzy, same girl and soon we are to be married (working on the PA now)

Will check out Super Rich when there..... Yes, we will be exchanging a significant amount of Aussie to Thai so it might be worth while a run into central BKK..... The parents home is in Nonthaburi and I think from memory there is a bts station close by.....

Getting excited now as last time over there was January
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobba View Post
    Thanks for the replies and tips.... Yes Ozzy, same girl and soon we are to be married (working on the PA now)
    Congrates Cob, hope it all goes well.

BTW if you need a photographer in Thailand for the big day check my post on the Randon photos thread this morning. He just did a wedding.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    this method works... sort of. 555

OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    A Tip:
    Although I never discourage someone being careful and I think it's always smart to do so

I'd be shocked if there ever was a scam at SuperRich, they are so well known

But actual mistakes can happen so never a bad thing to be sure

On a similar note, it's great renting a car or MB(anywhere) and just being able to snap photos of the scratches already on the vehicle

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Always found Super Rich on the railway floor at Swampy to be the best if I land there at a decent hour.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    the places I go to count them in a machine , usually twice both my currency and the Thai Baht , I've never had an issue ...
    So do I but at most places there are times when the "teller" moves it out of your sight before handing it to you.

Imagine the girls boyfriend has dumped her, she just needs a B1000 to feed her child and the dumb/drunk farang in front of her looks an easy mark and she succumbs to temptation and shortchanges him. She gets away with it and it becomes a habit and you turn a basically honest girl into a thief.

Having been supervising and training staff for many years, it is better to have a system that has obvious checks, even as simple as counting it again in front of them.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    So do I but at most places there are times when the "teller" moves it out of your sight before handing it to you.

Imagine the girls boyfriend has dumped her, she just needs a B1000 to feed her child and the dumb/drunk farang in front of her looks an easy mark and she succumbs to temptation and shortchanges him. She gets away with it and it becomes a habit and you turn a basically honest girl into a thief.

Having been supervising and training staff for many years, it is better to have a system that has obvious checks, even as simple as counting it again in front of them.
    Easy money is always a temptation. It's just human nature. I've watched that happen for years. Our politicians are the worst for it.

cant say I've ever experienced that , the places I use they are sat in front of you ....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    When I was in the Dominican Republic the best rates by far were the guys on the street.
    Was pretty wild just giving some dude on the street money and he changes it out of his pocket!

We arrived 4:00 pm yesterday Thai time (8:00pm Sydney).... we spent the night in Bangkok (Nonthaburi) at Partners parent spare home and today we drove to Pattaya.. It’s the first time I have been to Pattaya..... We only were coming here for a day trip and lunch and then decided to book a room..... Not sure what’s on tonight for us as I not sure what’s around where we are staying .... We have nothing with us just the clothes we are wearing555..... Tomorrow we will go back to Bangkok, grab our stuff from the home and then drive south to Surat Thani..... As far as cash exchange goes here, I have seen bugger all money exchanges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast