• 2 Post By justcruzing1
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 2 Post By Quarky
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1

Thread: What I love about Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

What I love about Thailand

A couple things happened today that made me want to start a new, positive topic. We can dwell on the bad things any time.

For 22 years I've been coming to Thailand during our Canadian winters. There are valid reasons why I have been coming for as long as I have, and will continue to do so for as long as my health holds up. That might be one year or five. Who knows.

1. It's the weather. Sunshine and warmth is preferable to cold and wet. And, at 80 I'm a bit old for the few days that I could afford to go skiing in Canada.

2. It's the people in Thailand. I was reminded of that when I went shopping in the market today. The ladies all know me as a friend of Pui who died a year ago. Pui had made good friends with many of them. I get about 30% off on the dried fruit and cashews I buy. They all gathered round when I showed them old pictures of Pui and I on my tablet. There is a lovely camaraderie among Thai women if you take time to notice. And, they never forget a farang face or name. They all say "Hello Ian" when I come to shop... no matter how little it is.

3. I love all the little shops that sell fresh fruit, veggies or pork. I am sad that they pick all their strawberries long before they are ripe, but I can live with that. There are always fresh mangoes at the same time. The mangoes we get in Canada all come from Mexico and are hard as rocks and seldom if ever ripen sweet.

4. I love that on any given day I can get a nourishing, tasty Thai meal for about 40 baht: Kow padt gai, Padt Thai gai, or any one of a dozen tasty dishes. I can be a "big spender" and take my 3 Thai ladies out for a special meal where they can choose anything on the menu, and the bill is always less than 700 baht. Luckily, none of them drink wine.

5. I love that I can ride my 250 Kawasaki for the 4 or 5 months I'm in Thailand, and seldom miss a day. Riding has kept me alive in spirit, and I'm sure it has helped prevent Alzheimer disease. When riding you have to be 100% aware at all times. And, I actually enjoy riding in flowing traffic. Not so much when traffic is too busy and everyone is stopped for lights, but even then with the little bike you can work your way around it.

6. The price of my quarter star hotel. Well, maybe less than a quarter star, but the rooms are larger than hotels costing 5 times as much. For less than 5000 baht a month I can live quite nicely. I can accept the little things that aren't so great.

7. Inexpensive Travel. For a few hundred dollars I can fly south for a week or so and it doesn't hurt the monthly expenses.

8. The ladies. They have always been there for either a short time or a long time, and how you get along depends entirely on yourself. Just beware that they can steal your heart. I'm reminded of that every time I listen to Willie Nelson sing Blue Eyes Crying in the rain. That is the song I sang to Pui just before she died.
    Minder and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Nice post Ian.

The ladys have no chance of steeling my heart these days but everything else I can relate too.

In fact I guess Im a bit different to most, it was never really the ladys that brought me to Thailand. It was the mountains and maybe a few ladys in between for awhile....55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    The low cost of flying on good, quality airlines in SEA is unmatched anywhere in the world

If you go to Latin America you are stuck in one or two cities to visit on a trip because airfare is so expensive

Thai people.....
    That's a mix for me because when it's good, it's better than anywhere I've traveled
    But I've also had a lot of bad experiences with Thai people where I never do anywhere else.
    It's still 85% positive experiences but hard not to factor in the 15% bad experiences

Girls.....I've got one fucking crazy one out of the deal 5555

But as for p4p. I'm not involved anymore and doubt I'd I have interest anymore if single
    But man did Thailand get it right in the p4p scene
    I never felt comfortable partaking anywhre else but Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    I love the place most days. I live here and talk, eat and play with Thais everyday.
    Childlike in many ways but good people. Maybe If my Thai was better things would be easier but sometimes trying to get a message across is a pain.
    My wife is a little nuts at times but that is down to communication mostly.

Still, they have zero spatiial awareness and the Thai time syndrome shits me to tears. Life here is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    I love the place most days. I live here and talk, eat and play with Thais everyday.
    Childlike in many ways but good people. Maybe If my Thai was better things would be easier but sometimes trying to get a message across is a pain.
    My wife is a little nuts at times but that is down to communication mostly.

Still, they have zero spatiial awareness and the Thai time syndrome shits me to tears. Life here is ok.
    Maybe you just need to get away for a little while, Ted, with maybe a short trip to Chiang Mai or down south. And, I don't mean for the P4P, but just to clear your head.

I don't think I could live full time in Thailand, but I really enjoy it when I'm here.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    No matter where I am, Bangkok, south, north, there's always plenty of photographic opportunities available. I especially love the temples. They have a unique ambience and the architecture is somehow really pleasing on the eye.

Food for me is also a big plus. Last year one of my friends in Bangkok took me to this little alley tucked in amongst some other alleys right around the corner from Siam Centre. The kuay teow tom yum was some of the most flavourful tastiest food I've ever had and it cost me peanuts. I enjoyed the meal so much I went back to the same stall the next day. What id give to be able to enjoy that every day.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    No matter where I am, Bangkok, south, north, there's always plenty of photographic opportunities available. I especially love the temples. They have a unique ambience and the architecture is somehow really pleasing on the eye.

Food for me is also a big plus. Last year one of my friends in Bangkok took me to this little alley tucked in amongst some other alleys right around the corner from Siam Centre. The kuay teow tom yum was some of the most flavourful tastiest food I've ever had and it cost me peanuts. I enjoyed the meal so much I went back to the same stall the next day. What id give to be able to enjoy that every day.
    Although I'm not a great lover of Bangkok, you did touch on a few things that give me great pleasure... just walking around in a bigger city to discover all its wonderful secrets. Bangkok is just too big for me, but there is so much to see and do, and it's always changing. If one place shuts down, two more pop up to take its place.

One thing I didn't mention was the music. There are some incredible musicians in Thailand. For the price of a few drinks you can spend a whole evening listening to a wide array of music, from just instrumental, to western rock and roll, to the Blues, and even country and western. There so many of these funky little places to visit. And, there are some remarkable singers.

I make Chiang Mai my second home when I'm not in Canada. If it wasn't for the mountain, Doi Suthep, I wouldn't enjoy it so much. At 1600 meters, Doi Suthep is like a little wilderness for me and it's completely covered in forest. It reminds me a lot of the mountains over looking Vancouver BC. They were my playground when I was a teenager. Although there is a road going to the top of Doi Suthep the remainder is an old growth forest of tall trees... including one giant Yew tree with a base of 3 meters wide. There are numerous old monk trails going up and down the mountain and I've explored them all... including making a few of my own.
    I always bring my machete with me and clear out the bamboo which takes over if you don't cut it back. The more I worked on the trails the more people I saw using them. The air is cleaner and it is much cooler than in the city below, and from a few viewpoints you can see the smog hanging over the city. There are a wide variety of butterflies and birds singing in the trees above. I've seen monkeys and the occasional deer. The mountain is my little oasis when I want to get away for some exercise.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Maybe you just need to get away for a little while, Ted, with maybe a short trip to Chiang Mai or down south. And, I don't mean for the P4P, but just to clear your head.

I don't think I could live full time in Thailand, but I really enjoy it when I'm here.
    I would love to do a short trip away Ian, next is to the MotoGP next month in Burriram, three days of bliss.

Just at the moment its planting time for the mixed vegitable farm, things are going along fine enough. Christmas day we laid down a bore to get water ( 40 mtrs) I still have to give instructions on the solar power setup and pump and valve operation for the irrigation system on a regular basis so I kind of need to be here.

Just the other day I serviced the Kwai Lek because no one else thought about it, if it works nothing wrong, new belts, air filter, oil change both motor and gearbox, replacing broken horizontal spokes on the wheels, fuel filter, broken breather tubes, etc.

The Honda Wave 110, five years old, which I purchased, was about to explode, the younger SIL has been thrashing about on it mostly and it required a valve job, new piston and rings, cam chain, barrel hone and gudgen pin. New chain and sprockets next along with wheel bearings. The oil was like bitumen. The air filter was fucked.
    I have recently done the same number to the FILs saling ( three wheel) honda, without that he can not make a quid so it comes out of my pocket anyway.

I have a Visa extension in a couple of weeks, I will need to keep my soiled hands in my pockets.

Shit I thought I was retired. But I do love living in Thailand. Never a dull moment. The daughter keep me sane and the wife is now earning a few dollars at the CP factory for a private catering contractor, also helps keep the ducks and chickens fed on the farm with all the free leftovers, around 20 kilo a day.

Thailand! wouldn't be dead for quids
    Ian Forbes and Tingtong like this.

Good luck with the bike races trip.

I do know what you mean about so many Thai people who have no idea about maintenance of vehicles and bikes. Five years ago I bought a lady friend a brand new bike so she could get supplies and run a business. Within two years it was a piece of junk because she never checked the oil or other lubricants. There are a few dead cars out where her mother
    Lives.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post

I actually find the temples a let down, IMO

Now there is some obvious nice ones but I find the inside of most temples so drab and not nice looking at all
    The outsides can be quite nice the insides always lack anything of interest usually and seem sort of thrown together

Now I grew up Catholic and that may make me bias
    I don't go to Church and actually think the Catholic church should be blown up.
    But man do I find churches beautiful and will go out of my way on travels in Latin America to go to older and beautiful churches

100% agree on the food

I don't know how there is a thread on what you love about Thailand and don't mention bum guns 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I don't know how there is a thread on what you love about Thailand and don't mention bum guns 5555
    Bum Guns??? what about the hole in the ground with a bucket of water and a cup beside it. You must stay in expensive places.... 5555555
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 7th February 2020 at 21:20.
    Ian Forbes and Tingtong like this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I
    But man do I find churches beautiful and will go out of my way on travels in Latin America to go to older and beautiful churches

100% agree on the food
    Some of the churches in PI are awesome. One in my wifes town was build 1604
    Ian Forbes likes this.

That is something near and dear to my.... I was going to say "heart", but not in this context. 5555

I never realized how much toilet paper I was flushing down the toilet until my home's drainage got blocked up due to a pipe breakage. That is something that has to get fixed when I get back home. I stopped flushing toilet paper and my drainage problem ceased. In Thailand I have the bum gun to get everything clean before using paper to mop up.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Some of the churches in PI are awesome. One in my wifes town was build 1604
    Yeah I go to Panama and sit and have dinner in the Plaza in front of a 700yr old Chuch
    Pretty awe-inspiring
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Yeah I go to Panama and sit and have dinner in the Plaza in front of a 700yr old Chuch
    Pretty awe-inspiring
    Few hundred yards from my house. A thousand years old... Only been in once... 55

OZZYGUY and Tingtong like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^ That looks great Nick, must be in an excellent location, Ideal for redevelopment should get 25-30 stories on it 555555

Um, I'll give my self an uppercut
    Quarky likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

I love art and good craftsmanship wherever they are found, including Catholic churches, but I detest the Catholic religion everywhere. Fact is I dislike organized religion everywhere, but some are worse than others. Catholic and Islam are at the top of the heap for the bad things they've done.