Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Rubber tapper killed in Narathiwat

News Ferret

Rubber tapper killed in Narathiwat

A rubber tapper was shot dead on Monday morning at a plantation in tambon Batong of Narathiwat's Ruso district, police said.

More...

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    If you start taking note of the trouble down south quite dangerous to say the least.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Seems to me there would be more to the story.

I don't see militants, several of them, sitting around hiding in a plantation just wating for any worker to turn up so they have someone to kill.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    If you start taking note of the trouble down south quite dangerous to say the least.
    It is classed as the most dangerous border crossing in the world.... you don't really hear that much about it!

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Seems to me there would be more to the story.

I don't see militants, several of them, sitting around hiding in a plantation just wating for any worker to turn up so they have someone to kill.
    You maybe right but if you start researching a little this sort of action seems to happen on a regular basis.
    Some seems more random but for all we know he might be openly opposed to the militants.....Hard to know.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    You maybe right but if you start researching a little this sort of action seems to happen on a regular basis.
    Some seems more random but for all we know he might be openly opposed to the militants.....Hard to know.
    For me, it seemed like maybe he had a relation with someones wife. My gueess, as he is a humble rubber bleeder, that he wouldn't be a political agitator.
    What ever he is dead, and no suprise, the cops haven't any suspects. I think they know.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    For me, it seemed like maybe he had a relation with someones wife. My gueess, as he is a humble rubber bleeder, that he wouldn't be a political agitator.
    What ever he is dead, and no suprise, the cops haven't any suspects. I think they know.
    You may well be right JC but there have been a number of shootings performed in a manner not so different.
    Rubber tapers, monks, school teachers the list goes on.....Very random with no pattern other than you don't know when or where.
    3500 dead i think over the last 4 years.

This is what Wiki had to say

This is from the official Smarttraveler website (Australian Government)
    We strongly advise you not to travel at this time to the southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla or overland to and from the Malaysian border through these provinces due to high levels of ongoing violence in these regions, including terrorist attacks and bombings resulting in deaths and injuries on an almost daily basis. Since January 2004, several thousand people have reportedly been killed and many more injured, including a number of foreigners. If you are in these provinces, you should consider leaving.

This from a Thai newspaper....
    Special from RV in Thailand

In another time and place, towns were declared "Judenfrei". Here in Thailand we have a word "Kalangcote" (Pronounced "Ka-lang-coat" in English), meaning "To clean right to the root" when talking about murdering all generations of a family.

The town of Ban Jarolibong in Narathiwat Province, Thailand is now "Buddhist Kalangcote": completely cleansed to the root of all Buddhists. Early this morning "suspected Muslim militants" shot and killed last Thai Buddhist in town while he was working at his rubber plantation.

The terrorists then used a large bomb buried in the road to kill five defence force volunteers responding to a report of the farmer's murder. It was a trap with the murder of the rubber farmer as the bait to lure the defence volunteers to drive over the buried bomb.

Only ten years ago when I passed through Ban Jarolibong, the town was about fifty-fifty Buddhist and Muslim. The Buddhists are completely gone now. All the town residents are Muslim, whether they are of Thai or Malay heritage.

Today's Bangkok Post account of the murders states that over 4,500 have been killed in the south since January 2004

When things like this happen you know it will be a long way back unlikely to be in our life time!

Main article: Tak Bai Incident
    In October 2004 the town of Tak Bai in Narathiwat province saw the most publicized incident of the insurgency. Six local men were arrested for having supplied weapons to insurgents. A demonstration was organized to demand their release and the police called in army reinforcements. The army used tear gas and water cannons on the crowd, and shooting started in which seven men were killed.
    Hundreds of local people, mostly young men, were arrested. They were made to take off their shirts and lie on the ground. Their hands were tied behind their backs. Later that afternoon, they were thrown by soldiers into trucks to be taken to the Ingkayutthaboriharn army camp in the nearby province of Pattani. The prisoners were stacked five or six deep in the trucks, and by the time the trucks reached their destination five hours later, in the heat of the day, 78 men had suffocated to death.
    This incident sparked widespread protests across the south, and indeed across Thailand, since many non-Muslim Thais were appalled at the army's behaviour. Thaksin, however, gave the army his full support. Those responsible for the ill-treatment and death of the detainees received the most minor of non-custodial punishments. Thaksin's initial response was to defend the army's actions, saying that the 78 men died "because they were already weak from fasting during the month of Ramadan."
    Charges were filed against 58 suspects accused of participating in the demonstration. The trials went on at a slow place, and As of October 2006[update], the court had finished questioning of only two out of the 1,500 witnesses in the case. Police were also unable to find 32 Tak Bai protesters who were still at large after fleeing arrest.[41]
    Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont gave a formal apology for the incident on 2 November 2006.[42] The day afterwards, the number of violent acts increased fivefold, compared to the average in the preceding month.[43]

Sounds like Gaza on a smaller scale...

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Sounds like Gaza on a smaller scale...
    Yes would agree and seen the world over when borders are changed on long term residents you can sort of understand the situation....Add religion and just makes it all the worse.

Still quite the silent war when you think of the numbers!