Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Changone

Thread: US Marines to Australia

News Ferret

US Marines to Australia

CANBERRA: The United States will deploy up to 2,500 Marines to Australia as the nations expand their 60-year-old military alliance, President Barack Obama said on Wednesday in a move that rankled China.

More...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Don't take this the wrong way, I think its nice to have an American big brother when push comes to shove, but this sudden announcement that 2,500 US Marines are to be permanently based in the NT was from left field.

I thought the whole idea was that someone had to ask for foreign soldiers to come into their country? Even Julius Caesar had to camp his soldiers outside Rome.

Its not as though we don't have 2,500 soldiers we could put there if there really was some sort of threat to our national interests?

How about all the Australian service personnel we have in the two RAAF bases in NT right now? What about simply re-deploying the ones we have in East Timor and Afghanistan? (Seems like a no brainer that one).

Just how long would it take a US rapid deployment force to reach the NT anyway?
    Why else to we maintain the "Bare bases" in the north of Australia?
    This can't really be all about Australia's defence Are the US Marines not the offensive arm of US foreign policy?

Did anyone notice how Barack Obama never set foot outside the ACT and NT Territories in Australia?
    Could this be because they are all controlled by the federal government?
    No use any of the states complaining then.
    wabbits likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

A quick update on this, Australia is to get its very own "Marines" with the development of "An amphibious assault group" by 2016

I wonder who we'll be "Assaulting?"

New fighting force takes cue from US marines

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Strange that we need them.... I'm pretty sure we have one of the most elite soldiers in the world 'The SAS'... The US depend on our SAS boys in Afganistan to do their dirty work.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Strange that we need them.... I'm pretty sure we have one of the most elite soldiers in the world 'The SAS'... The US depend on our SAS boys in Afganistan to do their humanitarian work.
    I missed that word the first time through...555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    My BIL was part of the SAS... we all thought it a bit strange that he went on a 'Peace Keeping' mission to Rawanda, especially with his skills!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Nothing like a bit of good old fashioned "Peace keeping" to get things sorted out...555