Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Algeria hostage drama

News Ferret

Algeria hostage drama

The Foreign Ministry was yesterday checking to verify a report that Thai workers were among a group of foreigners being held hostage by an al Qaeda-linked group at a natural-gas complex in Algeria, Information Department director-general Manasvi Srisodapol said.

More...

Lets hope they get released safe and sound.......

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Heard this on the news this morning sounds like there are some brit casualties..

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Heard this on the news this morning sounds like there are some brit casualties..
    Anyone else heard the news our station i beleive said 30 dead

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I have just heard my neighbour and friend here escaped unhurt.
    Apparently he and 2 others climbed into a roof cavity as the facility was attacked
    and sat it out in there for the entire episode.
    His mate who I know only slightly , who has a house in Hua Hin , also escaped without injury.
    A pretty hairy time for them and Im happy they are ok.

Cadet Gold
    That is good news ,why do they do this ?,i can see it serve no purpose at all only to make them more hated than ever by the rest of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I have just heard my neighbour and friend here escaped unhurt.
    Apparently he and 2 others climbed into a roof cavity as the facility was attacked
    and sat it out in there for the entire episode.
    His mate who I know only slightly , who has a house in Hua Hin , also escaped without injury.
    A pretty hairy time for them and Im happy they are ok.
    Lots of people asking on Poodle's facebook page for news, can I post this Chob, he has not checked in since the 7th. Is this 100% confirmed.

Heard from his cousin who posted on FB that he is all good, so great news, give the little bugger a hug from me when you see him...555
    Last edited by dlew; 18th January 2013 at 23:51.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Im really glad to hear gary is safe...will difinetly have a drink or two for pouden tonight

Yes , its confirmed Gally is fine.
    I think he lost his phone .
    This is funny if you know him.

dlew , its fine with me to post this : "Gary is 100% ok. Im sure he will post here on FB when he can."
    I dont want to appear some sort of gossip , so please just post that.

I had a beer with Denver tonight who has been in touch with the other blokes ( Kevin ) Mum in the UK. She reports they are both fine , but have to be debriefed or something.
    Fortunately Kevin didnt go to work that day so was in the accommodation area , and as I said , Pooden ( Gary ) and 2 others climbed up into the Cafeteria roof void , and remained undetected for the duration.
    Apparently Gary DID have his phone , but as usual , it ran out of battar-lies! 555
    Last edited by Chob; 19th January 2013 at 02:31.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    That is good news ,why do they do this ?,i can see it serve no purpose at all only to make them more hated than ever by the rest of the world
    A trade for their comrads in the pokey.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Shows you how small the planet is when things like this happen...Brother son or father of someone we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Yes , its confirmed Gally is fine.
    I think he lost his phone .
    This is funny if you know him.

dlew , its fine with me to post this : "Gary is 100% ok. Im sure he will post here on FB when he can."
    I dont want to appear some sort of gossip , so please just post that.

I had a beer with Denver tonight who has been in touch with the other blokes ( Kevin ) Mum in the UK. She reports they are both fine , but have to be debriefed or something.
    Fortunately Kevin didnt go to work that day so was in the accommodation area , and as I said , Pooden ( Gary ) and 2 others climbed up into the Cafeteria roof void , and remained undetected for the duration.
    Apparently Gary DID have his phone , but as usual , it ran out of battar-lies! 555
    I don't know about fortunatly, the coverage I saw here on SBS said they went from cabin to cabin seeking out and rounding up the forigners as hostages.

Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    I don't know about fortunatly, the coverage I saw here on SBS said they went from cabin to cabin seeking out and rounding up the forigners as hostages.
    I just this minute saw a News update , and it looks WAY worse than I have been lead to believe.
    Still , Bernie , Mark ( Poodens mate and boss) and Denver all say Garys fine.
    Denver said , "All these '38 dead' , 'No 28 dead' , 'No thirty missing and 9 dead' stories are pissing me off. It just upsets families. Gary is fine."

So I guess hes fine.

Is on Sky news now about 3 guys hiding in space in the roofs of the accommodations block. While those beneath them were rounded up. Some of the hostages had explosives tied to them...

The kidnappers targeted a bus first with workers on it, then the accommodation block next...

Can see a video here...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

I don't know about fortunatly
    As far as I heard it , Gary was fortunate because he was in a spot where he had warning , and time to escape. Further , it is the cool season in the Sahara , and the roof cavity is not 50c+ like other times of the year.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    i do believe the Pooden has made it out of the country now....he is back posting on his spiritual home (FB) atm 555
    Last edited by bacwaan; 19th January 2013 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    i do believe the Pooden has made it out of the country now....he is back posting on his spiritual home (FB) atm 555
    Amen..............