Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Shackleton's whisky back on ice

Shackleton's whisky back on ice

SCOTT BASE, ANTARCTICA Three bottles of rare, 19th century whisky found beneath the floorboards of Antarctic explorer Ernest Shackelton's abandoned expedition base were returned to the polar continent on Saturday after a distiller flew them to Scotland to recreate the long-lost recipe.

More...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    People get a bit precious with attempting to keep things perfectly authentic...
    So now the grog is back in the ice.... and ostensibly constitutes 'litter' , but litter where nobody can see it.

I mean whats wrong with puting them in a Museum if they are overwhelmingly 'important' to history?
    Or auctioning them to pay for more important things , like the research into undiscovered polar species before they are wiped out with global change?

Back in my home town , they decided to restore a 150 year old building that had been vandalized and hardly recognisable to the original.
    It wasnt good enough , for example , to put in , and paint , entirely new window sashes.
    If there was a half a stick of a piece of one of the sashes 'in situ' , then it was painstakingly removed with tweezers and joined into the new sash.
    Then bogged up a bit and painted over. 555
    This of course made the sash 97% new , but 100% new looking.
    Ironically , nobody could be perfectly sure that the 'stick' wasnt actually a repaired bit that had been put in since the original was completed.

It also made a restoration bill 300% of the sensible renovation price....

Then again isn't Antarctica one big museum? Leaving everything intact in the hut is sort of romantic in a way. I know not many will see it... but maybe one day they will. We do take a lot of things from the wild... and stick them in museums. It's sorta nice to actually think you can leave something where you found it...

maybe? I kinda like the idea...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I see what you mean.
    But Id hardly call 3 bottles of Whisky , 'natural'.

And make no mistake , countries not even remotely near the Antartic , like Japan , China and the US are not just there to 'protect' the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I see what you mean.
    But Id hardly call 3 bottles of Whisky , 'natural'.

And make no mistake , countries not even remotely near the Antartic , like Japan , China and the US are not just there to 'protect' the environment.
    Yeah I understand that. But I am the same with the mountaineers that die on Everest. They leave the bodies up there where they died... I quite like the idea of that too.... so that mountaineers climbing up there pass the dead bodies as they go, adds to the foreboding. Hell, I'd put Shackleton back where they found him too...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team