Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Jet-Ski JJ' Scam Thugs Scare Aussies off Phuket

News Ferret

'Jet-Ski JJ' Scam Thugs Scare Aussies off Phuket

Latest Winai ''JJ'' Naiman seeks almost 100,000 baht from Aussie backpackers in an extortion scam that an American volunteers says is becoming an all too frequent occurrence.

More...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    good old JJ strikes again..... I tell everyone I know, young or old.... stay off the jet skis

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    good old JJ strikes again..... I tell everyone I know, young or old.... stay off the jet skis
    His name comes up quite a lot. Me too i have friends in Patong at the moment a family. Their eldest is 22 and i told his mum keep him off jet skis and high powered motorbikes.
    But i did say they should sit at Shipwreck bar and watch the lovely LADY parade at 8pm 55555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    His name comes up quite a lot. Me too i have friends in Patong at the moment a family. Their eldest is 22 and i told his mum keep him off jet skis and high powered motorbikes.
    But i did say they should sit at Shipwreck bar and watch the lovely LADY parade at 8pm 55555
    I don't recommend Phuket as a family holiday destination - and I don't think BMs who have any real knowledge of the place should either.

Read some of the web sites like trip-advisor and you'll see that Phuket, and Patong in particular, is getting a lot of not recommended and stay away reviews.

It was always a bad place for overpricing and rorts - add in its frequent problems with the tuk-tuks and their rip-off pricing and organised extortions like this recurring jet-ski take down and the place was a break-even bet at best.

Now given the numbers of Aussies - and other naive first timers - who seem to be getting themselves in real trouble there in the last couple of years - arrested, stabbed or defrauded for example - it is no longer a place I'll recommend.

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I don't recommend Phuket as a family holiday destination - and I don't think BMs who have any real knowledge of the place should either.

Read some of the web sites like trip-advisor and you'll see that Phuket, and Patong in particular, is getting a lot of not recommended and stay away reviews.

It was always a bad place for overpricing and rorts - add in its frequent problems with the tuk-tuks and their rip-off pricing and organised extortions like this recurring jet-ski take down and the place was a break-even bet at best.

Now given the numbers of Aussies - and other naive first timers - who seem to be getting themselves in real trouble there in the last couple of years - arrested, stabbed or defrauded for example - it is no longer a place I'll recommend.

Enjoy
    Speaking to a mate, who is a regular every year in Phuket & Pattaya for Cricket, in Perth on the weekend, he said on his trip over this April he will be lucky to head over the hill from Karon once, he's over the bangla scene etc, but says that he really enjoys Karon etc.

Minder do you think people doing these reviews are generally talking more of patong than Phuket ?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Rock & Roll

Enjoy
    Shame that it's come to this actually. Phuket and even Patong was such a friendly place to go. And not all that long ago either.

Add to what you mentioned, the fact is that it's getting really expensive here - for everything!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    .....Minder do you think people doing these reviews are generally talking more of patong than Phuket ?
    The negatives are usually about Patong rather than Phuket in general.

There are still a lot of positive reviews on sites like Trip Advisor about Phuket and Patong itself, "just back from our first trip, had a great time etc" but you do see more and more referring to the high prices of transport/taxis as the biggest negative of their trip.

"A taxi, airconditioned, clean and on the meter starts at less than $A1 in Bali and takes a long time to go over $5 - an amount for which a tuk tuk in Patong even won't start his engine" are the sorts of comments you find.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock & Roll View Post
    Shame that it's come to this actually. Phuket and even Patong was such a friendly place to go. And not all that long ago either.

Add to what you mentioned, the fact is that it's getting really expensive here - for everything!
    Agreed.......make that A GREED
    Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

Rock & Roll
    What will ultimately spell the death of Phuket, I believe, is the environmental degradation of the beaches and surrounding isles and dive spots. Patong beach, which I know best, is far filthier than it was years ago. I rarely go there now, and do not swim there. The other formerly more pristine or 'secluded' beaches like Laem Sing and even Surin and Nai Harn, are heading in the same direction. Over commercialization and greediness will make them less and less attractive in short time.

It is the beaches which initially brought the tourists here to begin with. Everyone seems to be aware of the downward spiral, and much gets written about it, but nobody seems to be willing to act decisively to clean things up. Once the beaches have gone to hell, the tourists will go elsewhere.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Tuk Tuk drivers are not just getting bad press within their own country and on forums, they are copping it in major broadsheets Phuket rip-off: the trouble with tuk-tuks

Using a tuk tuk for me is an absolute last resort

Tuk Tuk drivers are not just getting bad press within their own country and on forums, they are copping it in major broadsheets Phuket rip-off: the trouble with tuk-tuks

Using a tuk tuk for me is an absolute last resort
    When booking hotel one consideration was, let it be in a spot for there not to be a need for tuk tuks.
    This should NOT be part of your thinking when booking a holiday anywhere!
    Beach for me is not a big thing as of where i live some of the best in the world.
    So going to LOS for me is not about the beaches.

When booking hotel one consideration was, let it be in a spot for there not to be a need for tuk tuks.
    This should NOT be part of your thinking when booking a holiday anywhere!
    Beach for me is not a big thing as of where i live some of the best in the world.
    So going to LOS for me is not about the beaches.
    Nor me, but the beach just a good place to walk back to where you are going, away from Time Sharers, Hawkers, Tailors etc etc etc. In saying that never ever had any trouble with Tuk Tuk drivers in the times I have used them, mainly in earlier trips.

Now for best beaches, I've seen a few in my time, West & East Coast Australia, US, Greek Islands, Europe, Carribbean, nothing comes close to the beaches East of Esperance in WA, just magnificent.

Nor me, but the beach just a good place to walk back to where you are going, away from Time Sharers, Hawkers, Tailors etc etc etc. In saying that never ever had any trouble with Tuk Tuk drivers in the times I have used them, mainly in earlier trips.

Now for best beaches, I've seen a few in my time, West & East Coast Australia, US, Greek Islands, Europe, Carribbean, nothing comes close to the beaches East of Esperance in WA, just magnificent.
    We are lucky here with beaches but Phi Phi and the islands like that wow can not get enough.
    We used to spend most Sundays North or South Stradbroke or Peel island.
    My kids had a magic childhood from where we took them and the outdoors they enjoyed.

We are lucky here with beaches but Phi Phi and the islands like that wow can not get enough.
    We used to spend most Sundays North or South Stradbroke or Peel island.
    My kids had a magic childhood from where we took them and the outdoors they enjoyed.
    Forgot about Phi Phi, loved the water there. Had the benefit of growing up on the Oceans doorstep, really makes you into an outdoor person.

I've not been to Australia, but do NZ beaches compare? Some of the beaches on the Coromandel (Cathedral Cove, Whangamata etc) or Mt Maunganui are gorgeous. As are beaches on the west coast of Auckland. But I guess you are spolit in Australia with so much coastline...

Enjoy
    I agree 100%, its a sex city, not a holiday resort. now their killing the sex the place will become a sh1thole. dirty, seedy, expensive and very overrated...run by scumbags.
    Last edited by Jaffaman; 10th March 2011 at 03:56.
    I am no-one in Australia and a VIP in Thailand. I pick the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffaman View Post
    I agree 100%, its a sex city, not a holiday resort. now their killing the sex the place will become a sh1thole. dirty, seedy, expensive and very overrated...run by scumbags.
    Minder and i had a chat about where would you recommend people to go in LOS .......Chiang Mai seems from what i can see to be shaping up as choice no 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I've not been to Australia, but do NZ beaches compare? Some of the beaches on the Coromandel (Cathedral Cove, Whangamata etc) or Mt Maunganui are gorgeous. As are beaches on the west coast of Auckland. But I guess you are spolit in Australia with so much coastline...
    Only thing about NZ beaches is the water is dawwwwmmmmm cold! Beautiful many are.
    Went to school on the Coramandel coast though in the gulf the beaches are so so but further up absolutely.
    We used to sail in to Tecuma not far from Coramandel town but you could only get there by boat...fantastic.

Only thing about NZ beaches is the water is dawwwwmmmmm cold! Beautiful many are.
    Went to school on the Coramandel coast though in the gulf the beaches are so so but further up absolutely.
    We used to sail in to Tecuma not far from Coramandel town but you could only get there by boat...fantastic.
    Yea the water can be cold. Though once your in its fineeee.......

Sometimes it gets really warm... I remember one summer in Whangamata the water temp was 27 degrees and felt as warm as it does in Thailand...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Yea the water can be cold. Though once your in its fineeee.......

Sometimes it gets really warm... I remember one summer in Whangamata the water temp was 27 degrees and felt as warm as it does in Thailand...
    Other than that you can head up the coast to hot water beach.....27c not bad.

Other than that you can head up the coast to hot water beach.....27c not bad.
    Unfortunately that warmth attracted a lot of jelly fish.... 555

Hot water beach... ah... I need a trip home...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast