Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian tourist goes wild on Koh Chang, torches bikes

Australian tourist goes wild on Koh Chang, torches bikes

14 December 2013

TRAT - An angry Australian tourist on Koh Chang went berserk, tried to attack pedestrians with a kitchen knife, and set fire to three vehicles because his rented motorbike consumed too much fuel, police said on Saturday.

Police survey the damage at the motorcycle rental shop after the tourist's rampage.

Pol Capt Banjerd Krachangsaeng, an investigating officer at the Koh Chang police station, identified the tourist as Kent Wesley Farrar, 47.

Narong Borploy, the 55-year-old operator of a local motorcycle rental service, said the Australian had rented a motorcycle from him a week earlier. When he came to return the vehicle, he started yelling at Mr Narong and complained that the bike consumed excessive fuel.

Mr Narong said he told the tourist that he could rent another bike if he wanted to, but the customer was still furious and demanded a refund.

The two continued arguing and started fighting. The tourist received a head injury during the fight.

The Australian then took a bottle of gasoline inside the shop, poured it on three motorcycles parked in front of the shop and set them on fire.

He also picked up a kitchen knife from a nearby store and tried to attack other people walking by. A team of police later arrived at the scene and were able to calm him down.

Farrar was charged with arson. The damage was estimated at 100,000 baht

Australian tourist Kent Wesley Farrar is treated for a head injury following a fight with a motorbike rental operator in Trat on Saturday

Also in Thai news: Matichon and ASTV Manager
    Last edited by Hatari; 15th December 2013 at 10:36.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    It's nice when people are concerned about air polution...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Dude sure knows how to party!!

Can just see when he goes home and his mates ask...how`d the holiday go? great! spent a heap of money.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

wondered if someone had stolen/siphoned his petrol.
    Not enough roads on Koh Chang to run up too many kms, all seems strange, maybe he is just plain crazy?
    Expect he'll get away with paying for damages and a small fine.

As a comparison - what penalty in Australia for assault, arson destroying three bikes, threatening people with a weapon?

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    he was clearly a "greenie".....555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    When Farangs go Nutso...5555
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Am I the only one who thinks the Aussie looks like Mr Bean ?

Two sides to every story and the truth usually somewhere in-between....

Hard to justify the stupidity of the setting fire part if that's what he did but ...

let's see... he rents the bike and returns it after a week, gets told he has damaged the bike and must pay 10k/20k/30k baht for "repairs", he refuses and demands return of his passport or other documents he left with the shop owner as security.

The never far away "passersby" of the story (aka shop owner's heavies) front up and split his skull for him. Injured and outnumbered he raises the stakes and splashes the petrol around, threatening to light it if he does not get his documents/passport back.

The petrol finds an ignition sources on its own .... cigarette butt etc... and up it goes or the shop owner calls the bluff and lights it up himself knowing that TIT and anything he (and the "passersby") say is worth more than one crazy farangs ....

Just my two cents worth, I was not there and don't anything except that what I read in the story so far is only part of the story ...

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    14 December 2013

TRAT - An angry Australian tourist on Koh Chang went berserk, tried to attack pedestrians with a kitchen knife, and set fire to three vehicles because his rented motorbike consumed too much fuel, police said on Saturday.

Police survey the damage at the motorcycle rental shop after the tourist's rampage.

Pol Capt Banjerd Krachangsaeng, an investigating officer at the Koh Chang police station, identified the tourist as Kent Wesley Farrar, 47.

Narong Borploy, the 55-year-old operator of a local motorcycle rental service, said the Australian had rented a motorcycle from him a week earlier. When he came to return the vehicle, he started yelling at Mr Narong and complained that the bike consumed excessive fuel.

Mr Narong said he told the tourist that he could rent another bike if he wanted to, but the customer was still furious and demanded a refund.

The two continued arguing and started fighting. The tourist received a head injury during the fight.

The Australian then took a bottle of gasoline inside the shop, poured it on three motorcycles parked in front of the shop and set them on fire.

He also picked up a kitchen knife from a nearby store and tried to attack other people walking by. A team of police later arrived at the scene and were able to calm him down.

Farrar was charged with arson. The damage was estimated at 100,000 baht

Australian tourist Kent Wesley Farrar is treated for a head injury following a fight with a motorbike rental operator in Trat on Saturday

Also in Thai news: Matichon and ASTV Manager
    Am I looking at this photo wrong?? Is he a mini midget??
    Look at the size of the 2 Thai guys treating him in relation to the idiot.

Surely he must have been on drugs to act so stupid.

So he is going to be up for around $35k or more, how many people, especially ones that argue over a couple of dollars petrol, have easy access to that sort of money??
    I think he could be a guest of the establishment for awhile.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

now that you mention it, hes head does look small compared to the thai guys 5555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the Aussie looks like Mr Bean ?

Two sides to every story and the truth usually somewhere in-between....

Hard to justify the stupidity of the setting fire part if that's what he did but ...

let's see... he rents the bike and returns it after a week, gets told he has damaged the bike and must pay 10k/20k/30k baht for "repairs", he refuses and demands return of his passport or other documents he left with the shop owner as security.

The never far away "passersby" of the story (aka shop owner's heavies) front up and split his skull for him. Injured and outnumbered he raises the stakes and splashes the petrol around, threatening to light it if he does not get his documents/passport back.

The petrol finds an ignition sources on its own .... cigarette butt etc... and up it goes or the shop owner calls the bluff and lights it up himself knowing that TIT and anything he (and the "passersby") say is worth more than one crazy farangs ....

Just my two cents worth, I was not there and don't anything except that what I read in the story so far is only part of the story ...

Enjoy...
    Defence Lawyer in the making there, Minder 555

My favourite cartoon Lawyer (and no not Lionel Hutz), Larson E Pettifogger

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Am I looking at this photo wrong?? Is he a mini midget??
    Look at the size of the 2 Thai guys treating him in relation to the idiot.

Surely he must have been on drugs to act so stupid.

So he is going to be up for around $35k or more, how many people, especially ones that argue over a couple of dollars petrol, have easy access to that sort of money??
    I think he could be a guest of the establishment for awhile.
    If your head is that small... the brain inside is usually small too... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

To me it looks almost like it's been Photoshopped.
    Have a look at the hand in a glove, on his shoulder if that's a normal Thai's then this guy is the size of a small to medium child. The Thai's heads are a bit out of shape like a fishbowl lens was used.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    I am with Minder, seriously.... who the hell complains about fuel consumption of a motorbike whilst on holiday, is that the best the shop owner could come up with ?

Shop owner shouldn't have being trying to extort money from the farang for the apparent damage to the hired bike, then his other three bikes wouldn't have got burnt..5555
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

To me it looks almost like it's been Photoshopped.
    Have a look at the hand in a glove, on his shoulder if that's a normal Thai's then this guy is the size of a small to medium child. The Thai's heads are a bit out of shape like a fishbowl lens was used.
    It does look strange... but what is the point of photo shopping it?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    He could be an angry ant/chip on his shoulder type?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    He could be an angry ant/chip on his shoulder type?
    That was my first thought when I saw the photo too Moo.

I'm thinking Minders idea has a bit of credence too, combine them both and BOOM!

The Australian news site reports basically the same story, just adds:

A 47-YEAR-OLD Australian man has been arrested by Thai police and faces charges of assault and arson . . .
    A Department of Foreign Affairs spokesperson said the department was aware of Farrar's arrest and consular staff were seeking to meet with him and provide assistance.
    Surprised consular staff would even be interested - minor in the scheme of things unless he has eg psychiatric problems and not capable of looking after himself.

As for the pic - just a trick of the lens - the Thais' heads well out of proportion too; reminds me, off to see The Hobbit next weekend

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    That was my first thought when I saw the photo too Moo.

I'm thinking Minders idea has a bit of credence too, combine them both and BOOM!
    Yep... I don't doubt he was part of the problem but I don't believe most of what I have read for a moment ... the grabbing a knife and threatening passersby bit reads particularly false ...

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    If your head is that small... the brain inside is usually small too... 55

You forgot to acknowledge the source of this quote DP...TG from Soi Cowboy on your latest escapade? 555
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You forgot to acknowledge the source of this quote DP...TG from Soi Cowboy on your latest escapade? 555
    55555... touche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast