Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: No Train on Upcoming Trip :(

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar

No Train on Upcoming Trip :(

Some of you know I was planning to book a 1st Class compartment for the Bangkok to Chiang Mai leg of my trip in July. I thought it sounded like a bit of an adventure, rather then the usual short-hop flight that I've done a thousand times before. Well, no adventure, sad to say. Train tickets become available exactly 60 days ahead of time, so I had a Thai travel agent all ready to pick up my tickets on May 22. She tried, but in her words, a "big company" had gotten there ahead of her, and bought up every single 1st Class compartment for both overnight trains. She was mystified, as she did not remember that happening before except on a holiday weekend, which July 22 isn't.

Ah well, so called up to Raming Lodge, and moved my booking up to cover arriving one day early, then booked a flight with Bangkok Airways.

Maybe next trip I'll give it a whirl. Sort of disappointed, but these kinds of things happen.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Bit of a bummer VG, as nothing worse than a plan coming unstuck, especially when a multi national can do this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Sorry to hear it VG. I have heard it is a great trip.

What about the return leg, can you come back on the train?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Looking forward to your Train trip report... oh well next time

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Well you were tossing up between train and Flying so I guess this made up your mind for you. Again as my mum says "everything, happens for a reason"

Cadet
    Posted my ideas about train trip in the Chiang Mai section :-)

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    G4 your mum sounds like a top class mum. I always think the same. Always something for next trip VG

Thai-Spy
    Have to say that the sole experience with first class sleepers was unnerving. The beds were perpendicular to the tracks rather than parallel as in the second class sleepers. Found it difficult to sleep as every jerk of the train was 90 degrees off from what the subconscious expected.