Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which Airline and why ? Pro's & Con's

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

Which Airline and why ? Pro's & Con's

Which Airline do you prefer to fly with to goto LOS, and why ?

Costs
    Convenience
    Direct Flight
    Other factors.

I've have flown, Thai, Singapore/Silk, Virgin twice, and am looking at Air Asia next trip.

Like the direct flight factor, but next trip will be looking at cost factor more (paying for two), so trying to work out $ / up against flying time and convenience, compared to stopovers and losing near on a day but saving lots of cash.

Much to ponder for me.

Interested to hear what other BM's prefer
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Used to fly AA via KL... Nowadays I fly jetstar, cheap and direct!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Every time now when i think of flying i do the list and it comes down to cost.
    Its like taking a bus no novelty anymore so who will get me there cheap.

Direct flights from Brizzy were always routed back through Sydney and that is pain, so flying AA through KL is no biggy.

Will have to look again now as have different options but mostly will always be the cost.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I am fairly lucky as most times I have been able to involve some business in the region therefore keeping down the costs. Time is the biggest cost factor for me. I still have a lot of trouble convincing my loving to fly internally. The whole time is money thing. 45 min flight from Bkk to Khon Kean verses a 10 hour bus trip for 250 Km. Those whom live in Aussie it is a Sunday drive.

For me directly out of Bne to BKK on Thai it has been. But with traffic and getting through customs my next trip is booked on AA from the Gold Coast.

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Im going to do Singapore airlines Brisbane to Bangkok next trip with a 2 or 3 day stopover in Singapore the way home. I want to travel without fear of weight restrictions and unlimited drinks

If not Singapore for some reason I will give Stategic ago Brisbane to Phuket Direct as we can now get direct flights from Phuket to Ubon Ratchathani rather than having to go via Bangkok
    Changone likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    Im going to do Singapore airlines Brisbane to Bangkok next trip with a 2 or 3 day stopover in Singapore the way home. I want to travel without fear of weight restrictions and unlimited drinks

If not Singapore for some reason I will give Stategic ago Brisbane to Phuket Direct as we can now get direct flights from Phuket to Ubon Ratchathani rather than having to go via Bangkok

That's the way to go Condo.
    Relaxed in the knowledge that most of the real plonkers have opted for the LCC's?..555

I went Thai last time and didn't miss all the dramas and cost ambushes one bit.

Tried it with Tiger adding on all the extras, just didn't work.
    Tried Air Asia but KL budget terminal is not my idea of paradise.
    Tried Pacific blue it is still tempting at $399 one way, but only on the basis that its only 6 hours of grin and bear it point to point.
    Tried Jetstar Advantage is you get the International terminal at Changi.
    Unfortunately Strategic don't go from WA but at $299 from Melbourne I wish they did.

Best ever one way trip?
    Qantas business class Singapore to Perth. Using only Frequent flyer points, 35KG plus carry on, free entry to first class lounge at Changi pre flight. (Business one was shut, dang...). Those lay down beds with full entertainment option are just great.
    Last edited by Changone; 6th June 2011 at 17:21.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Very different from Canada. Most of the airlines you mention do not fly into Vancouver at all. I paid a bit more and flew Cathay Pacific on my first trip, with short stopovers in Hong Kong there and back. This trip coming up in July I am flying China Eastern and saving about $400 CAN. Cathay was an awesome airline, great food, friendly staff, fantastic entertainment console, which is needed for the length of the flight. China Eastern is not supposed to be as good, but we'll see. It has stopovers in Shanghai, btw, and the one on the way back will be a gruelling 6.5 hours, just long enough to be boring, but not long enough to actually go into Shanghai and do anything.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Emirates is my Airline of choice. Always top notch and the in flight entertainment system is very good (and important for 20 hours of travel!). And usually the best price from Manchester.
    Air France was OK.
    Etihad was about the same as Emirates but didn't like Abu Dhabi airport too much.
    Flying Qantas/British Airways on next trip to NZ and Thailand.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    Have flow Virgin, Thai and Jetstar. Thai was best because it was one hop and flight attendents. Virgin through Brisbane is a shocker, but mainly because you end up a few hours in Brisbane twiddling your thumbs. Jetstar was worst for service, and all the extra costs.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Price and Flying time are my 2 biggest concerns.

Thai airways are great out of Perth, just there price seems over the top, got a cheap flight a couple of years ago but since then its always over $1400 AUD return to Bangkok. 2 years ago I got Bangkok return $680 AUD.

Flying Air Asia again this trip, Perth to KL is $365 AUD and then KL to BKK is $111, they leave perth 6.50am and get to Bangkok before 5pm, This price is with 20kg bag and pick my own seat. Compared to Thai $770 one way.

One thing I do know with AA is book 25kg baggage on the way home, small extra charge online and I always seem to come home with a heavy bag. Including a lot of fridge magnets 555 I have been collecting them for years now 555

Have tried all the carriers to LOS except Virgin, they never seem to have specials when I go.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Foundation Member Cadet silver
    Been on longhaul flights with Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Malaysian Airlines and British Airways.

The two asian airlines very very good. Qantas was ok whilst British Airways was by far the worst - never again!

I am using Thai Airways for trip coming up, just found out they do not have seat back entertainment

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Thai have always had back seat entertainment whenever i have flown with them !
    Have used Tiger and never again !
    Thai is my prefered but i normaly use Virgin purely for the cost !
    But having said that , when you add up the inflight costs its not a lot different from Thai if you can get a cheap one ! Cheap being close to the $1000
    But cant beat Virgin for its direct flights !
    Last edited by Gazmac; 7th June 2011 at 20:29.

Foundation Member Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    But having said that , when you add up the inflight costs its not a lot different from Thai if you can get a cheap one ! Cheap being close to the $1000
    I am pretty sure that the plane I am going on is an old aircraft so no seat back entertainment. It is available on newer aircrafts from what I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
    I am pretty sure that the plane I am going on is an old aircraft so no seat back entertainment. It is available on newer aircrafts from what I have read.
    So inflight entertainment is when the propellers stop? ..555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    I keep saying I will look for a cheaper alternative, but come back to Virgin each time because of the direct flights. Usually eat up before go or take something with me. Bloody rude you can't get a water without dipping into the slush fund though, and usually top up the Zen player with Music and a few Movies so don't spend anymore than the outlay. Some may say "tight bastard" 555 but need all cash when I get there especially with TG.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Your Tg must be very high Maintenance AM ! If you dont want to buy water on the plane ! lol

Thai-Spy
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Tried Air Asia but KL budget terminal is not my idea of paradise.
    This is one of those little things that is surprisingly divisive. Some people hate the KUL LCCT with a passion but for others it's just another airport. No doubt that it's almost always a little too full for comfort. And the food choices are rather sparse: McDonalds, Malay/Asian food court tucker, or convenience store snacks.

This is probably another topic in its own right, but the LCCT terminal could really do with a KFC. The Colonel is so much better in Malaysia than it is in Thailand. No biscuits and gravy in the Land of Smiles, and the chicken up here just isn't as good.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thai-Spy View Post
    This is one of those little things that is surprisingly divisive. Some people hate the KUL LCCT with a passion but for others it's just another airport. No doubt that it's almost always a little too full for comfort. And the food choices are rather sparse: McDonalds, Malay/Asian food court tucker, or convenience store snacks.

This is probably another topic in its own right, but the LCCT terminal could really do with a KFC. The Colonel is so much better in Malaysia than it is in Thailand. No biscuits and gravy in the Land of Smiles, and the chicken up here just isn't as good.
    They have a Nandos! (south american chicken)

Your Tg must be very high Maintenance AM ! If you dont want to buy water on the plane ! lol
    555 Didn't say I haven't just think its bit rude you have to pay to rehydrate.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I have flown 3 legs Syd to Bkk direct with Emirates, fantastic!!
    Both times I booked on 1 or 2 days notice, $880 return. Entertainment system is amazing, and the seats are big and plush. Food and drinks, excelent and pleantifull. Hostesses stunning, and helpfull. They even give you a bag with eye cover, inflatable neck pillow, tooth brush, and support socks.
    If you want a blanket no problem.

Get in at 2am after leaving Syd at 7pm? at the Bkk airport luggage, there is an Emirates rep to show you where to go thru customs, at 2am!!!!

Flew AA bringing Jeab back, Bkk to KL and then KL to GC. As apart from a cheaper price I wanted to break the trip, as I wasn't sure Jeab would handle a direct flight for her first time in a plane. I shouldn't have worried.

AA staff in Bkk were @*$#!!!! The plane to KL was cramped and crowded. The same planes we use here for domestic flights.
    The KL to GC plane was near new, but no entertainment, not even headphones and music stations. Staff were hardly seen all trip.

I think, unless you jag one of the real discounted fares, by the time you add on all the extra charges, I think it is worth the small extra to fly direct with a quality airline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast