Thread: Areas and hotels in Hua Hin

Areas and hotels in Hua Hin

Thinking of getting some R&R in Hua Hin. Appears to be 5 main areas:
    - Cha Am Beachfront
    - Hua Hin Beachfront
    - Hua Hin City Center
    - Khao Takiab
    - Pranburi

I understand that Khao Takiab is very nice. Any suggestions for hotels or the best areas. Mainly looking for something quiet and relaxing.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Personally I don't know anythign about Hua Hin, other then what I have seen in picture, But I am interested in the findings as i would liek to get there on my next trip for a couple nights.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    I'll be in Hua Hin in February for 2 days, and booked a room at the Fresh Inn. This is right next to .. pretty much attached to actually ... the main bar/nightlife area, and seems ok, but I'll know a lot more after staying there. It came, however, with the personal recommendation of a fellow Canadian who has lived just 2 hours or so hours just south of Hua Hin for the past 2.5 years, and has stayed there a few times in the past. I got a Deluxe Double at 2,000/night, with a balcony overlooking on the ocean side, away from the noise of the bar area. You can only book this hotel through its own website, however. I am a little leary of it, as it gets some mixed reviews on tripadvisor. Nothing terrible, but nothing spectacular, but I booked it primarily because my friend highly recommended it as a good budget hotel. I'll give you the link. Fresh Inn Hua Hin. Great location, right across the street from the Hilton, one minute to the beach, and 5 minutes to the Night Market, and of course it is, as I said, right in the entertainment area. But then, Hua Hin is a fairly small town, so from what I have read, it is not really that far to walk anywhere.

A couple of other mid-priced hotels I was looking at that seem like they might be a bit better, were the Baan Mathana Hotel, Baan Manthana House - Hua hin which gets much more consistent reviews, tho it is set further back from the beach ... 10 minute walk ... (warning tho, this one has an extremely slow website, but you can book it through Agoda Baan Manthana Hotel Hua Hin / Cha-am Thailand - Best discount hotel rates ) .... and the Thipuri City Hotel, Thipurai City Hotel, The Friendly Mini Deluxe Hotel in Hua-Hin which also gets great reviews, is bookable through Agoda, and is just a block away from the southern edge of the entertainment area. I came very close to booking this one, in spite of my friend's recommendation, but all they had left for the dates in February was a Standard Room with no balcony and quite small.

Beyond that, this is my first trip there and I know practically nothing else at this point, but I have high hopes, as from what I've heard, Hua Hin is near the top of my list of places I could see myself "retiring" to for 6 months out of the year, preferably in some place like this ... Prinz Garden Villa - Serviced Apartment | Hua Hin Thaiapartments ... which I am hoping to have the time to check out while I'm there.

Hua Hin just sounds fantastic, with a more laid back, less touristy atmosphere to Phuket/Patong, but still with a bit of a nightlife scene. It has the ocean, which is the one big thing missing for me in Chiang Mai, and is close enough to Bangkok or Pattaya, if you felt like spending a couple of days in the Big City, or just felt like a bit weekend in Patts. Like I said, I have high hopes.

I am not sure if you are aware of this website, but I found it invaluable for all things Hua Hin related. HHAD: Hua Hin Information Portal, Nightlife and Entertainment guide, Maps, Bars, Guesthouses, Accommodation, Property, Golf and more.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

sorry about that ... duplicate post for some reason.
    Last edited by vanguy77; 29th November 2011 at 20:55. Reason: duplicate post
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    You've never been there and you already have it near the top of your list!... I hope it lives up to your expectations VG
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    I'll be in Hua Hin in February for 2 days, and booked a room at the Fresh Inn. This is right next to .. pretty much attached to actually ... the main bar/nightlife area, and seems ok, but I'll know a lot more after staying there. It came, however, with the personal recommendation of a fellow Canadian who has lived just 2 hours or so hours just south of Hua Hin for the past 2.5 years, and has stayed there a few times in the past. I got a Deluxe Double at 2,000/night, with a balcony overlooking on the ocean side, away from the noise of the bar area. You can only book this hotel through its own website, however. I am a little leary of it, as it gets some mixed reviews on tripadvisor. Nothing terrible, but nothing spectacular, but I booked it primarily because my friend highly recommended it as a good budget hotel. I'll give you the link. Fresh Inn Hua Hin. Great location, right across the street from the Hilton, one minute to the beach, and 5 minutes to the Night Market, and of course it is, as I said, right in the entertainment area. But then, Hua Hin is a fairly small town, so from what I have read, it is not really that far to walk anywhere.

A couple of other mid-priced hotels I was looking at that seem like they might be a bit better, were the Baan Mathana Hotel, Baan Manthana House - Hua hin which gets much more consistent reviews, tho it is set further back from the beach ... 10 minute walk ... (warning tho, this one has an extremely slow website, but you can book it through Agoda Baan Manthana Hotel Hua Hin / Cha-am Thailand - Best discount hotel rates ) .... and the Thipuri City Hotel, Thipurai City Hotel, The Friendly Mini Deluxe Hotel in Hua-Hin which also gets great reviews, is bookable through Agoda, and is just a block away from the southern edge of the entertainment area. I came very close to booking this one, in spite of my friend's recommendation, but all they had left for the dates in February was a Standard Room with no balcony and quite small.

Beyond that, this is my first trip there and I know practically nothing else at this point, but I have high hopes, as from what I've heard, Hua Hin is near the top of my list of places I could see myself "retiring" to for 6 months out of the year, preferably in some place like this ... Prinz Garden Villa - Serviced Apartment | Hua Hin Thaiapartments ... which I am hoping to have the time to check out while I'm there.

Hua Hin just sounds fantastic, with a more laid back, less touristy atmosphere to Phuket/Patong, but still with a bit of a nightlife scene. It has the ocean, which is the one big thing missing for me in Chiang Mai, and is close enough to Bangkok or Pattaya, if you felt like spending a couple of days in the Big City, or just felt like a bit weekend in Patts. Like I said, I have high hopes.

I am not sure if you are aware of this website, but I found it invaluable for all things Hua Hin related. HHAD: Hua Hin Information Portal, Nightlife and Entertainment guide, Maps, Bars, Guesthouses, Accommodation, Property, Golf and more.
    About time you gave up your day job VG. Thanks for all the info...much appreciated. Hope to be there next month, and will give you a run down on return.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Look forward to your trip report on this place nam. I will get there one day to check out for myself.
    Things I am interested in if you could keep in mind.
    Real travelling time from BKK Silom by car at the speed limit? Midweek say
    Would you consider it a place to stay, say 3 month a year. Still doing some business electronically.
    Do you see it as a small Pattaya in 5- 10 years time?
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    You've never been there and you already have it near the top of your list!... I hope it lives up to your expectations VG
    Well Thailand was up at the top of my list before my first visit, PBB, and it more then lived up to my expectations!!! 55555

Chiang Mai definitely lived up to and surpassed expectations. The problem I'd have with Chiang Mai, and likely the only problem, is that there are no beaches. I grew up in a coastal city, and I love the ocean. I lived in the interior of BC away from the ocean for 20 years, and I said never again.

Hua Hin sounds good for all of the above reasons, for the same reasons that Pattaya did not sound so good. There are likely other great spots in Thailand, and that is why I'm trying not to double up on these first few trips, but try to go someplace different each time.

I am expecting to have fun for the 6 days in Pattaya, but could never honestly see myself living there, and I've never been there before either! 555 Just reading about the place tho is enough for me to know that it is a little to full on for my tastes. Phuket was beautiful, and right now it is battling with Chiang Mai for the #1 spot. A ton of tourists tho, so it would have to be off a quieter beach somewhere. Krabi might be a spot to visit on the next trip in November, as I've heard it is beautiful there.

But yes, my expectations are high for Hua Hin, and it may not live up to them, but I won't be too distraught with just Chiang Mai and Phuket to still fall back on!!! 55555
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by NamTanMot View Post
    About time you gave up your day job VG. Thanks for all the info...much appreciated. Hope to be there next month, and will give you a run down on return.
    You're welcome NTM, just relaying info I had already come across. Like jonty, I'll be looking forward to the TR of your visit!
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Well Thailand was up at the top of my list before my first visit, PBB, and it more then lived up to my expectations!!! 55555

Chiang Mai definitely lived up to and surpassed expectations. The problem I'd have with Chiang Mai, and likely the only problem, is that there are no beaches. I grew up in a coastal city, and I love the ocean. I lived in the interior of BC away from the ocean for 20 years, and I said never again.

Hua Hin sounds good for all of the above reasons, for the same reasons that Pattaya did not sound so good. There are likely other great spots in Thailand, and that is why I'm trying not to double up on these first few trips, but try to go someplace different each time.

I am expecting to have fun for the 6 days in Pattaya, but could never honestly see myself living there, and I've never been there before either! 555 Just reading about the place tho is enough for me to know that it is a little to full on for my tastes. Phuket was beautiful, and right now it is battling with Chiang Mai for the #1 spot. A ton of tourists tho, so it would have to be off a quieter beach somewhere. Krabi might be a spot to visit on the next trip in November, as I've heard it is beautiful there.

But yes, my expectations are high for Hua Hin, and it may not live up to them, but I won't be too distraught with just Chiang Mai and Phuket to still fall back on!!! 55555
    You should try check out Prachuap Kiri Khan while your there... I'ts not much further south from Hua Hin (probably where your mate lives) and i'ts a beautiful spot, I hate the tourist spots and Kiri Khan is a very Thai Thai place... We went to an airforce base while there and had lunch on the beach, I'ts apparently a favoured spot with the Bangkokians as a weekend getaway.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    You should try check out Prachuap Kiri Khan while your there... I'ts not much further south from Hua Hin (probably where your mate lives) and i'ts a beautiful spot, I hate the tourist spots and Kiri Khan is a very Thai Thai place... We went to an airforce base while there and had lunch on the beach, I'ts apparently a favoured spot with the Bangkokians as a weekend getaway.
    Awesome, PBB, I'll try to check that out!! Any other ideas for must see places that might be nice to settle down in, I'd love to see them. Stealing NTM's thread tho here!! 555

My mate ... friend ... (sorry in Canada your mate is your spouse!! 555) .... lives in a little town called Ban Krut, which is very quiet and has miles of gorgeous beaches. His house faces the water and he has a pool in the front yard ... gorgeous place from the pictures. I'm almost hating to take Nui there to see it, as you know what she is going to want next!! 555 I could find only one website for Ban Krut, a small private website a guy has done on his own, but its worth a look. Ban Krut Beach-Baan Krud-Ban Krood-Thailand Beaches

Ooops ... ps: just read the first paragraph of that website and find that yes, you are absolutely right ....

"If you wander down the coast of Prachuap Khiri Khan, past Hua Hin and Prachuap town, you may start noticing quiet beaches with clean water flanked by what seems like endless groves of coconut trees.
    Maybe the best of all the beaches in Prachuap is a lovely run of sand that stretches for kilometer after kilometer, interrupted only by a green mountain with a beautiful temple and a Golden Buddha gazing serenly out across the Gulf of Thailand.
    If you see that Golden Buddha, you have found Ban Krut."
    Last edited by vanguy77; 30th November 2011 at 00:11.
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Look forward to your trip report on this place nam. I will get there one day to check out for myself.
    Things I am interested in if you could keep in mind.
    Real travelling time from BKK Silom by car at the speed limit? Midweek say
    Would you consider it a place to stay, say 3 month a year. Still doing some business electronically.
    Do you see it as a small Pattaya in 5- 10 years time?
    2.5 to 3 hours to Silom. 2000 baht in a private car, and 180 baht in a minivan.

I didn't see as much of the area as I hoped, so will just have to visit again! One thing that struck me was that it was very grey, but I was mainly at beach (most days cloudy) or in city area. Expect if stayed slightly inland it would be greener, and more appealing for me.

I stayed at Veranda resort, about 15 to 20km north of Hua Hin. Great beach for a run, kayaking, etc, but too many jelly fish for swimming. Clean beach, high rise every 150 metres but suspect not many tenants, plenty of eating options (only ate breakfast in the hotel), cheap massage on the beach (150 baht per hour), more Thai holiday makers and very few farangs.

Never been to Pattaya, so no idea about that one. Didn't seem to be much development.
    Last edited by NamTanMot; 30th December 2011 at 21:05.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    when I am in the HH area i mostly stay with a friend who has a condo not far from the King's Holiday Palace (well worth a look, its simple in its design but elegant at the same time) he has a pool so there is somewhere to swim (i won't swim in the sea there,too dirty IMO) and its a moderate walk to the town centre

The "entertainment centre" is a square of bars, maybe about 50 behind the Hilton Hotel which also has a nightclub with FLs. I wouldn't exactly call it a bangla rd and its a million miles from a Patts WS however there are enough options for a night out and a good time can be had. Its what to do on the second night that is the problem 555

I have stayed at the Thipurai hotel and found it pretty good: nice rooms, decent breakfast, a small rooftop pool and GF. IIRC they wanted to charge me for wi-fi in the room but relented and included it FOC. its just behind the "entertainment square" and an easy walk to the shops and food areas

The food options are pretty good in HH.loads of good restaurants from big hotel fine dining to farang owned "international cuisine" places down to 99 baht breakfast and your 80 baht a dish honest to goodness Thai stuff. Do try out the restaurants on the piers out over the water. Its a unique dining experience and in general I found them to be good value considering their location

the nightclub in the Hilton is worth a look. Some nice girls get in there especially on the weekends
    Last edited by bacwaan; 31st December 2011 at 00:03.

Had dinner on the pier. Good food, good value. Only downside is that it was a bit cold (not for me!) and sat more inside.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NamTanMot View Post
    2.5 to 3 hours to Silom. 2000 baht in a private car, and 180 baht in a minivan.

I didn't see as much of the area as I hoped, so will just have to visit again! One thing that struck me was that it was very grey, but I was mainly at beach (most days cloudy) or in city area. Expect if stayed slightly inland it would be greener, and more appealing for me.

I stayed at Veranda resort, about 15 to 20km north of Hua Hin. Great beach for a run, kayaking, etc, but too many jelly fish for swimming. Clean beach, high rise every 150 metres but suspect not many tenants, plenty of eating options (only ate breakfast in the hotel), cheap massage on the beach (150 baht per hour), more Thai holiday makers and very few farangs.

Never been to Pattaya, so no idea about that one. Didn't seem to be much development.
    Thanks Nam. Internet speed? Are you using an Air Card or hotel Wi Fi

Interested in your name. It can mean a few things. Depends on what it is relation to. Finished being sweet???
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Interested in your name. It can mean a few things. Depends on what it is relation to. Finished being sweet???

Nam (water), Tan (flowing water/stream), mot (finished).....another take on it

Was using hotel wifi. A 3G aircard was demonstrated at a shopping centre and was very good. I punched in the AFL site which is normally slow to load, and seemed pretty quick.

900 baht for the card and 450 baht unlimited per month for 5 months then reverts back to 900 baht per month. No ongoing commitment.
    Last edited by NamTanMot; 1st January 2012 at 08:43.