Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Orient Thai Airlines

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Orient Thai Airlines

Has anyone used Orient Thai Airlines within Thailand? They do not over many destinations but when they have somewhere you need everything is included. They are much cheaper then other Airlines But I have never head a thing about them.

I am contemplating booking a HKT - BKK flight for 1650B (20kg luggage, snack, pick your seat..) Seems very cheap but I do not want to get stung. What are people thoughts on them?

well I bit the bullet and booked it anyway. I searched for reviews and found some. They were all very good other then one loser who thought he was going to a different airport... For the price i guess you cant really go wrong. I got the tickets for less then half that what I wouldf have paid with AA for the same times

Use to be One-2-Go Airlines or something Gary. Then they had a crash at Phuket Airport a few years ago and nearly went under. But have bounced back... I used them once on a BKK to Phuket flight... very cheap. And the plane was old... after the Phuket crash and the things that came out about the airline it sort of put me off...

Since been banned in Europe... here's some info... One-Two-GO Airlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Interesting to hear.... I hope we make in back to BKK from that flight 555. I will report on it after I have used them.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Used Orient for TG to go up from HKT to BKK before coming here. She said nothing much other than plane a bit tatty, and was delayed an hour, but did what it was meant to do get from Point A to Point B
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Bit of a worry...

Three years after the crash, the British Coroner's Inquest examining the cause of the British nationals' deaths [11] cited the "flagrant disregard for passenger safety" at One-Two-GO and said "the primary failure so far as I am concerned relates to the corporate culture which prevailed both One-Two-Go Airlines and Orient Thai Airlines prior to and following the air crash."

On 16 September 2007, One-Two-GO Airlines Flight 269, an McDonnell Douglas MD-82 flying from Bangkok with 123 passengers and seven crew members, crashed in strong winds and heavy rain after attempting to land at Phuket International Airport. The aircraft was mostly destroyed in the blazing inferno that soon developed after the crash as the fuselage tore in two. 90 people were killed. 45 of the dead were tourists.[7] Thai aviation officials initially claimed that weather was a probable factor.[8][9] The cause of the crash was later determined to be multiple flight crew errors caused by systemic failures including corruption and lack of training at One-Two-GO and within Thailand's Civil Aviation Authority, Department of Civil Aviation.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Danger Will Robinson!!!

I'll never fly with them. As others have pointed out, they're a re-named version of 1-2 Go who, as far as I know, haven't addressed any of the "corporate culture" problems mentioned in the British coroner's report.

Up to you.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Here you go mate... might need this!
    Parachute | eBay
    Cilla likes this.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Have to say after flying with Orient Thai, that I would use them again. The plane was old and the service was basic but I have no complaints and i made it from A to B
    Arliss Michaels likes this.

You also couldn't complain if you didn't make it!!!
    Minder, G4orce, Changone and 2 others like this.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    ...I have no complaints and i made it from A to B
    ... and that's more than some of their previous customers can say !!!

1 2 go-phuket.JPG
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    One flight in how many. Many airlines around the world in similar situation in the history department

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...rcial_aircraft
    G4orce likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    One flight in how many. Many airlines around the world in similar situation in the history department

List of accidents and incidents involving commercial aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    But they only have one plane...

I flew with them once... and I swear the wings came off at one point... I saw some Thai guy with ropes tying them back on again...

List of accidents and incidents involving commercial aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I agree with you here, many other companies have had the same issues and they still get many passengers. I would be more worried to fly with Qantas now as they are having many problems with there planes, one plane has had multiply "major" issues and they are still using it to fly....

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quarky likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

So all airlines are the same?

That Qantas scene from Rain Man comes to mind ... but really what we are talking about is the same as buying a sub-standard motor cycle helmet or dodgy scuba equipment etc ... taking a calculated risk to save a few bucks ...

With 1-2-Go I had decided long before the Phuket crash not to fly with them because IMO they crossed that line between budget and dangerous ... old aircraft, raw pilots, suspect maintenance controls were all being mentioned regularly on the Net.

Then that one crashed because they insisted on landing in dangerous cross-wind conditions - to save fuel (aka keep costs down).

They took a risk that other airlines would not take (did not take on the day) because the company culture was all about keeping costs down - and "punishing" pilots who did not.

Has all that changed with the name? I doubt it.

Up to you but in the next day or two when I book our flights between BKK and HKT, I'll certainly be flying with someone else.

Enjoy.
    Quarky and jontymate like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I would be more worried to fly with Qantas now as they are having many problems with there planes, one plane has had multiply "major" issues and they are still using it to fly....
    I think you'll find that the difference is, Qantas address those issues (and is required to by fairly strict Australian laws) rather than ignore them as I suspect Orient Thai might. How do you think the integrity of the Thai aviation authority compares with the Australian, European or US ones?

It's also nice to know that Qantas have pilots of the calibre of John Bartels (747 oxygen bottle explosion) and Richard Champion de Crespigny (A380 engine explosion) who seem to be able to handle emergencies rather well and avoid smoking heaps of scrap aluminium as pictured above.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I prices internal flights with AA the other day why would you stray from there very cheap and quality of service at the budget end is good.

Minder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    I prices internal flights with AA the other day why would you stray from there very cheap and quality of service at the budget end is good.
    Best LCA 3 years in a row.... never had a complaint with the many trips I have used them for...
    Not just cheap but also convenient flying out of Swampy and with cabin crew like this It's a no brainer for sure!!
    Quarky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast