Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Changone
  • 1 Post By Minder

Thread: No More Perth>Phuket Direct with Thai Airways

  1. #1
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    7,454

    No More Perth>Phuket Direct with Thai Airways

    Was at the Flight Centre yesterday booking my next trip and they informed me Thai Airways no longer fly Perth to Phuket direct. They must of stopped this service recently because I flew this route in January this year.


    Virgin now are the only airline flying direct.


    BTW I booked for June this year on special at $775.00 Aud return, direct eachway from Perth to Bangkok.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  2. #2
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,517
    Yep, canned it not long ago - and about time to - January must have been one of the last - it was a bastard for those of us wanting to actually go to BKK that we had to stop over in Phuket on the way for at least an hour - and a bastard for those coming home from Phuket since you had to go via BKK to do it (you did,when I last flew with them, I heard there were direct HKT flight though)

    It did have the "advantage" of letting you stay one night in Phuket (we went to Karon) on the way to BKK if you wanted to (just select the flights with the 23 plus hour connection) - a "stop-over" you did not have to pay extra for.

    Enjoy.
    Life is the unexpected ...

  3. #3
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    3,222
    Just checking flights ATM for June, and thought Virgin were getting a little pricey. I'm flying into BKK though and out of Phuket, best price looked at thus far about 540 return through Singapore, must book before miss out. Know it is a further 3 hour on flight time and a stopover, but when booking maybe five return flights a year have to look for the best/cheapest options
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

  4. #4
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    The old Thai airways Perth Phuket direct flight did allow you to do a return flight via BKK which is what i did on my first few adventures. It had the benefit of being able to spend time in both places using the one cheap return flight on a premium airline. The flight always ran clockwise, PER/HKT/BKK/PER and in those days there was no direct flight back to Perth from Phuket which was a pain when you always had to go via BKK. Nowadays however, the direct to/ from Phuket virgin flight is fine.

    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  5. #5
    Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth - Australia
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Just checking flights ATM for June, and thought Virgin were getting a little pricey. I'm flying into BKK though and out of Phuket, best price looked at thus far about 540 return through Singapore, must book before miss out. Know it is a further 3 hour on flight time and a stopover, but when booking maybe five return flights a year have to look for the best/cheapest options
    I have noticed this as well with Virgin - have only flown direct once but thoroughly enjoyed it compared to Tiger. But i guess i will continue with a 3 hours stop over in Singapore and continue on to BKK with Tiger for the price....

  6. #6
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    7,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Yep, canned it not long ago - and about time to - January must have been one of the last - it was a bastard for those of us wanting to actually go to BKK that we had to stop over in Phuket on the way for at least an hour - and a bastard for those coming home from Phuket since you had to go via BKK to do it (you did,when I last flew with them, I heard there were direct HKT flight though)

    It did have the "advantage" of letting you stay one night in Phuket (we went to Karon) on the way to BKK if you wanted to (just select the flights with the 23 plus hour connection) - a "stop-over" you did not have to pay extra for.

    Enjoy.
    To be fair to Thai Airways they did alternate their flight routes, I think it was 3 days per week Perth>Bangkok direct and the other days Perth>Phuket>Bangkok, you choose the option depending on which day you want to leave and where you are going. Now Perth>Bangkok>Phuket seems backward to me if I was heading to Phuket.


    I wonder on there reasoning as my flight in January was booked out.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  7. #7
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    7,454
    I also take into account flying times, this trip leave Perth 9.15am and arrive Bangkok at 3.30pm, out of Airport, book into Hotel, shower, dress then down to Nana for a cold beer by 6pm $$$


    Flying home there are a couple of choices, I chose 7.50am leave Bangkok and arrive Perth 3.30pm in the arvo, you do lose a day but feel fresh when you get home, option 2 is leave Bangkok at 9.50pm then via Phuket then all night to Perth, arriving around 6am. I did this flight last trip and you are buggered when you get home, waste the whole day when you get home IMO


    If I went Tiger/Air Asia or Jetstar I would factor in a short stay 1 or 2 nights in Singapore or KL.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  8. #8
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    If I went Tiger/Air Asia or Jetstar I would factor in a short stay 1 or 2 nights in Singapore or KL.
    If only Tiger didn't dump you at their horrible "Budget" terminal at 2.00am (3.00am Perth time) after the flight from Perth. You then have a five hour wait in the middle of the night with everything closed before going through the whole check-in weigh everything palaver again. I stopped over one night in Singapore once, the cheapest hotel, apparently in the "Red light district" was about $170 for the night plus meals and taxis in and out, all up more than $200 so IMHO you are almost always better off flying direct, unless you really do want that stopover.
    Minder and Rivo like this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  9. #9
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    I have noticed this as well with Virgin - have only flown direct once but thoroughly enjoyed it compared to Tiger. But i guess i will continue with a 3 hours stop over in Singapore and continue on to BKK with Tiger for the price....
    I had never flown Tiger before back from Melbourne to Perth. and was very happy with 1. The Plane 2. The Comfort factor and 3 The Service, and am looking at using them for the Return flight back from Phuket (which is an hour quicker than Jetstar and cheaper). I will fly to BKK with Jetstar as the 12.05am flight into BKK at 8.40am is much more suited for me, as I can drive up to Perth from work straight to Airport and out

    You could have a worse 2 hour stopover place than Singapore.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

  10. #10
    Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth - Australia
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    I had never flown Tiger before back from Melbourne to Perth. and was very happy with 1. The Plane 2. The Comfort factor and 3 The Service, and am looking at using them for the Return flight back from Phuket (which is an hour quicker than Jetstar and cheaper). I will fly to BKK with Jetstar as the 12.05am flight into BKK at 8.40am is much more suited for me, as I can drive up to Perth from work straight to Airport and out

    You could have a worse 2 hour stopover place than Singapore.
    In the past i have always done;
    Tiger Airways Singapore
    Flight: 2717
    Depart: Perth - 21:50
    Arrive: Singapore - 03:15
    Travel Time: 5 h 25 m
    Flight: 2102
    Depart: Singapore - 06:35
    Arrive: Bangkok - 08:00
    Travel Time: 2 h 25 m
    Layover Time: 3 h 20

    2-3 hour layover isn't really an issue considering the saving - have a sleep on the floor in the playground Looking to spend of couple of days in Singapore when returning next trip.
    Have got it as cheap as $440 return. Doesn't appear to be anything near that at the minute.

  11. #11
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    To be fair to Thai Airways they did alternate their flight routes, I think it was 3 days per week Perth>Bangkok direct and the other days Perth>Phuket>Bangkok, you choose the option depending on which day you want to leave and where you are going. Now Perth>Bangkok>Phuket seems backward to me if I was heading to Phuket.


    I wonder on there reasoning as my flight in January was booked out.
    I could never understand why the national carrier arriving in its hub airport Bangkok takes the cheap charlie option of no air bridge - parks miles out on the apron, disembarks the passengers via stairs (and sometimes the rain) and then takes you on a packed bus ride the equivalent of most persons commute to work before sending you in thru doors that are still a long way from the immigration and luggage collection areas.

    Budget airline Jetstar Asia our regular second leg (Perth-Sin-BKK) uses an airbridge every time.

    Rant over.

    Enjoy
    Changone likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

  12. #12
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    Why do Qantas and Thai Airways still insist on charging more for one leg trips compared to return fares?
    If I want to fly Qantas Perth Singapore it costs almost as much as the round trip.
    The budget airlines don't seem to think there is any extra cost involved so why are we still being ripped off?
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •