Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotel in Chiang Mai needed

Hotel in Chiang Mai needed

My family and I will be in Chiang Mai for two days at the end of the month. I have 7, 5 and 1 year old kids. Would love to find a place that can handle 5 people. Ideally a 1 or 2 bedroom unit but are happy to take 2 studio rooms as well. Budget is around 3 - 4,000 baht. Would prefer a down town location. Any suggestions?

I liked this place. But CM residents will probably know of many more...

Raming Lodge Hotel | Spa Chiang Mai | Chiang Mai Hotel
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

A downtown family suite on that budget is a difficult one ... have a look here Chiang Mai Map - High resolution Interactive map of Chiang Mai by Sawadee.com and see what takes your fancy.

If you make a short-list others may comment on which is best suited.

We have stayed many times at Mercure Hotel on northside of city - book online and you'll get 2 massive adjoining rooms for under 2k per night. Shuttle bus or taxi to downtown is a 5 - 8 minute ride. Best part about Mercure, other than price and HUGE rooms, is Tops Supermarket next door for food and drink.

Near the heart of downtown is an older property, Karinthip Village - child friendly resort style layout and within budget, but old and a bit tired.

My pick for quality family accommodation, is 4-star Yaang Come Village. @ ~5,800 Bt may blow the budget but well worth it IMO.... it's a fabulous tropical forest hideaway in the heart of CM. 3 to 10 mins walk from Night Bazaar, Panthip Plaza, Anusan Market, DownUnder Pub, River Market Restaurant, Macca's etc. Why come to CM for Macca's except to find The Dukes, next door

Mercure Hotel link here Hotel in CHIANG MAI - Book your hotel Mercure Chiang Mai

Request non-smoking floor.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Thanks for your help. Raming Lodge was also suggested by a friend of mine so I am waiting to hear back from them if I can get a connecting room(s) with them on the dates I need.

I am surprised at the high prices for the 5 star places in Chiang Mai. The reason that my budget was 3 - 4,000 baht was because that is what we pay for the 5 star places in Bangkok.

Memok I got the email of your children in business. The blog one. I wish I wish. The more I can understand the world priceless.

Hi daohoshi Dao do you mean this one? A new business for our Thai village | Family life in rural Thailand & Australia

I hope you liked it!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock View Post
    Hi daohoshi Dao do you mean this one? A new business for our Thai village | Family life in rural Thailand & Australia

I hope you liked it!
    Great blog (I think that's what it is called!) memock. Would be good if you could start a thread on here and either copy into here or link.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Great blog (I think that's what it is called!) memock. Would be good if you could start a thread on here and either copy into here or link.

There was a thread somewhere with a link Nomad, was posted a longtime back, like you say good read.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Thank you both for your kind words.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    I bookmarked the link Rivo referred to and occasionally check out the blog too. Love the heli-fishing.

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 17th July 2013 at 08:30.

They got back to me but cannot guarantee connecting rooms. Now waiting for an reply from a place called Elliebum (another great name!)

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Just checked out of Raming Lodge a couple of days ago after our 5 nights in CM .... happy to take Mrs M there and would do so again ... but not a kid friendly location or hotel IMHO ... also rather noisy at night ... the concave shape seems to trap the street noise ...

Enjoy..
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Have stayed in a back corner room at Raming, and no noise issues. From memory, reviews highlighted the variability in room noise.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Hi MeMock,

I have stayed in a few hotels in Chiang Mai, but I would not recommend the Raming Lodge for families as it is right in the heart of the Loi Kroh Road bar district. The other place I really like, Sakorn Residence, is located on the other side of the Ping River, so not exactly "downtown". But I would recommend you take a look at the Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Hotel, which is located to the northwest of the old city. If you stay on the Deluxe room side of the hotel (it is Lanna style so has two wings), you get very nice rooms for a good price. It is a huge hotel, caters to Thai businessmen and tours, and is attached to the older of the two malls in Chiang Mai, the Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Mall, which would make it very handy for the wife and kids for shopping. It is only about a 5 to 10 minute walk to the Old City walls, or you can get a tuk tuk out front of the front doors to the mall and they can wisk you anywhere in minutes.

Here is the link if you are interested ... Lotuspskhoteldotcom - Home

Check out the Agoda link, and look for Junior Suite, which looks great and comes in at just over 3,000 baht/night. http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/c...HpCa&tyra=1|14 Note that you need to click the "Show More Available Room Types" link to see the Suite.
    Last edited by vanguy77; 14th January 2013 at 13:49.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

No luck so far so glad I checked back in and saw your suggestion vanguy77 - will check it out now. Cheers.

Ended up booking the Khum Phucome hotel. 2 bedroom apartment for 4,000 baht. Have just checked in. 1st impressions are okay. Will do a full report later and will post a link.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Interesting final choice, MeMock. You are quite far from the downtown area you said you wanted, but the hotel looks like a very nice place with apparentlly a huge pool. You are also very close to Chiang Mai Zoo, as it is also on the west side of town, which your children might really enjoy. Aquarium there is top notch.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Yeah I know vanguard but I basically gave up trying to find a 2 bedroom apartment anywhere so ended up taking this one as a bit of a last resort. Being close to the zoo is a bonus as that is the only real plan we have while here. There were two other places closer to downtown but when I went to book they were sold out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast