Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking cars in Thailand...

Parking cars in Thailand...

I don't know if this is interesting or not. But it doesn't happen in the UK...

In Thailand I noticed whenever we parked anywhere busy, my ex would leave the car in neutral with no hand brake on (if flat area).

I asked her why... and she said, so people can push it to a better position if more cars need to park...

and then I started to notice... in large car parks. Cars being pushed around... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Happens in the condo where I am now. Sometimes it's bit like a Rubik's cube. Luckily there's 4 or 5 parking attendants because they sometimes have to push 3 or 4 cars out of the way just so one can get out.

Normal in city carparks, especially major shopping centres.

What isn't so normal, bit strange actually, is propping rocks/bricks etc behind wheels as safeguard against E-brake failure. Mr M and I noticed this atop Doi Inthanon in an otherwise flat carpark.

And lifting wipers off windscreens when parked in the sun ... harks back to days of old long obsolete para-rubber wiper blades. 555
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

I thought it seemed quite civilised actually... all this pushing of cars around. Though not sure I'd be happy if my brand new BMW was pushed out the car park completely... 555

Yeah, that wipers off windscreens... is it just an old habit? Or is there some modern day reasoning?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    do the wheels not lock when this is done...???...via steering wheel

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    do the wheels not lock when this is done...???...via steering wheel
    Normally, each car only has to be moved about 3 metres so locked steering would only be a problem if the wheels were turned a fair bit.

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 17th July 2013 at 09:30.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    They probably think the wipers last longer if they don`t get cooked by an extremely hot windscreen. In the dry season it can get very hot with no rain and a lot of their cars have no cover and the first time they use the wipers some months later they can stick and tear and or perish quicker.

Can`t for the life of me work out why they don`t want to use a hand brake when parking (not including car parks). Where i lived on phuket it had a fairly steep hill out the front and i always left the ute in 1st gear and hand brake on and never had a problem (even when the TG from upstairs with the big noms backed into it when she thought she selected P but actually put it R and revved the engine and it took off and into mine.... it didn`t budge an inch) and was surrounded by thais cars who had rocks behind the rear wheels.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 11th January 2013 at 01:15.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    In the extreme heat the rubbers will sometime stick to the screen and the next time you use the wipers it rips off the rubber and if the metal part of the blade head touches the screen, it will scratch the glass.

Secondly and as strange as it sounds, birds actually pull out the rubbers from the wipers if they are left on the screen. There are some videos around showing this, but cannot find at present. Also you may see people putting plastic bags over the wipers when the car is parked, this is also to stop the same thing happening.

Found one of the videos now so you all do not think I am mad

As for parking without the handbrake on, no way would I do that, it is downright dangerous and if your car moved and run someone over, I think you would be in big trouble.
    Last edited by chelski; 11th January 2013 at 02:38.

In my early years of driving I recall w/s wiper blades sticking to the glass when parked long-term in extreme heat. The blades were basicly plain rubber back then.
    Now-a-days, w/s wiper 'rubber' is a more sophisticated product composed of special polymers, sometimes silicon and designed for greater flexibility. Lifting w/s wipers off the glass may increase longevity but isn't really necessary.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

^ my pick up wiper blades were stuffed and needed replacing when i bought it when it was 18 months old. I`d say it was out in the sun all day with it`s previous owner. But they lasted 2 1/2 years of being left out in the sun on Phuket without being lifted off the screen.....fcuk nose!!

Is that fcuk knows! or fcuk nose! ....555

I use my hands normally... 55

By making a small ring with your thumb and first finger you can make the motion over your nose and say nothing....confuses the fcuk out of many when you don`t know the answer to something 55

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ my pick up wiper blades were stuffed and needed replacing when i bought it when it was 18 months old. I`d say it was out in the sun all day with it`s previous owner. But they lasted 2 1/2 years of being left out in the sun on Phuket without being lifted off the screen.....fcuk nose!!
    Lucky to get more than 12 to 18 months out of them and I found over-use causes most wear on regular blades - they break along the bend line. With super-yachts we swapped to expensive silicone blades which worked well in conjunction with Rain-X. Subjected to Indo/PNG and FNQ sun exposure over 4 years, wear was minimal despite salt spray being quite abrasive.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    By making a small ring with your thumb and first finger you can make the motion over your nose and say nothing....confuses the fcuk out of many when you don`t know the answer to something 55
    haha... It's like a secret handshake... I never knew that. Thanks, that's gonna be useful to try out... 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    In the extreme heat the rubbers will sometime stick to the screen and the next time you use the wipers it rips off the rubber and if the metal part of the blade head touches the screen, it will scratch the glass.

Secondly and as strange as it sounds, birds actually pull out the rubbers from the wipers if they are left on the screen. There are some videos around showing this, but cannot find at present. Also you may see people putting plastic bags over the wipers when the car is parked, this is also to stop the same thing happening.

Found one of the videos now so you all do not think I am mad

As for parking without the handbrake on, no way would I do that, it is downright dangerous and if your car moved and run someone over, I think you would be in big trouble.
    Crows do that in Redland bay in Brisbane. Some people there use cardboard tube to protect them.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    The first time I experienced this was in Bkk at Siam Square.
    I leant against a BMW and it started rolling away!
    An attendant later explained why.
    Its not a bad idea for space saving really.

Id be lucky to get 2 years from my wiper blades ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    My Grandfather told me about this when he traveled throughout Europe.... Mercedes, BMW's and alike being shunted forward and back for ease of parking
    It was so common that you wouldn't dare leave your park break on as this was when the damage would occur.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    My Grandfather told me about this when he traveled throughout Europe.... Mercedes, BMW's and alike being shunted forward and back for ease of parking
    It was so common that you wouldn't dare leave your park break on as this was when the damage would occur.
    I've never noticed it in Europe. Maybe it does occur and I just haven't come across it. Pretty sure it doesn't happen in the UK. No one would trust anyone to move their cars safely... 555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Wouldn't happen in Aus either, someone likely to push your car to a hill and let it go just for the fun of it...555

I think its a amazing piece of trust for thais, considering how they generally distrust each other with a lot of other things
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast