Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By daohoshi Dao
  • 1 Post By Nomad

Thread: Optiontown

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar

Optiontown

Just booked my first AirAsia flights and received the email offering options for upgrades or an empty seat next to you. Costs a few dollars for the chance of an upgrade to a flat bed. Flat bed cost is ~ $150, if successful. However, they take the money now, and refund later if unsuccessful.

Anyone had any experience with this?
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Hmmm maybe next time I will fly air Asia and get an empty seat for my new boyfriend 5555555555

Nomad likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    You getting swimming lessons Dao?? 555
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    You getting swimming lessons Dao?? 555
    Maybe just practising mouth to mouth. 555

New BF not talk too much, not think too much, not eat too much, not play loud music, hmmmm, good choice Dao.
    Sydney likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Maybe just practising mouth to mouth. 555

New BF not talk too much, not think too much, not eat too much, not play loud music, hmmmm, good choice Dao.
    And not phone call me 3 am morning drunk. Tell me that the all you can eat and drink Japanese restaurant through him out.

I think his ears are broken now after finish saying he looks like baby.
    Last edited by daohoshi Dao; 2nd February 2013 at 10:38.

Just booked my first AirAsia flights and received the email offering options for upgrades or an empty seat next to you. Costs a few dollars for the chance of an upgrade to a flat bed. Flat bed cost is ~ $150, if successful. However, they take the money now, and refund later if unsuccessful.

I signed up to Optiontown for last years long flight, KUL to Christchurch. Waste of time as it turned out, premium seats had all been booked out early.
    The 'empty seat' option might be worth a punt although I usually ask check-in staff (politely) if we can change seats and/or get an empty seat alongside us ... this works 7 times out of 10 on AirAsia.
    Another tip, as the booking system fills front sections first (load balancing I believe), is to select seats down the back where window seats taper from 3 to 2. The centre rows are often not full and if quick to move as 'doors close', you can grab a whole row ... great for the red-eye flight!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Olds who use Air Asia have used the Optiontown and won some lost some. The Old Man reckons it's a great idea, for a small outlay, almost like having a bet on the races.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Olds who use Air Asia have used the Optiontown and won some lost some. The Old Man reckons it's a great idea, for a small outlay, almost like having a bet on the races.
    I have heard the same and would have a flutter ... for the Premium seat option that is ....
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar

When I went back to the UK last year, I flew Perth to KL with AA and signed up for the upgrade. Cost 300Myr ($100 AUD) with the thought that if it happened all well and good, if not would I ever get my money back if it did not (promise was back into your account 7 days after flight if not successful).

True to their word, 3 days before the flight, I get confirmation that I have the upgrade. made the trip much nicer I must admit. Have not been on another flight since August to try again.
    I think it is a great idea to get people who would not normally be able to afford that kind of seat an experience to be able to and would be interesting to see how many have been converted to traveling premium after trying it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I signed up to Optiontown for last years long flight, KUL to Christchurch. Waste of time as it turned out, premium seats had all been booked out early.
    The 'empty seat' option might be worth a punt although I usually ask check-in staff (politely) if we can change seats and/or get an empty seat alongside us ... this works 7 times out of 10 on AirAsia.
    Another tip, as the booking system fills front sections first (load balancing I believe), is to select seats down the back where window seats taper from 3 to 2. The centre rows are often not full and if quick to move as 'doors close', you can grab a whole row ... great for the red-eye flight!
    Yes, I did that when I flew to the UK when AA were doing the route, made a great deal of difference to the trip

keep the good reports coming please as I have always wondered about this option. Never tried it yet as I have been travelling with family but for my next solo trip I might give it a go.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I used Optiontown in November, no upgrade but money promptly refunded. I doubt I would use it again, as I normally go to Pattaya, and now that AA flies out of DMK and not BKK, getting back to Bangkok can be a nightmare because you now have to go thru the city and contend with the traffic, nearly missed my flight home last time!

Got the emails at 1.40 this morning telling me the good news and the bad news. Upgraded!!! But missed out on the empty seat option...can't win 'em all. 555

I'm out of here!!!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    ^ have a great trip

I wasn't successful in the lottery on the way back, although I did end up with an empty seat next to me anyway. One thing they tell you is to not do the web check in until you hear the outcome of the lottery. Given that the upgrade is only the KUL-MEL leg, perhaps you end up ineligible as you have your boarding passes for both legs when you check in at DMK, which may be before they determine the result.

In terms of the refund, this was very prompt and was back in my credit card on the third working day after the flight, and this was via PayPal.