Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LCCT Terminal

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar

LCCT Terminal

I will be in transit at LCCT in KL for about 8 hours.

I hear it is a dump...anyone used the premium lounge?

Anyone know if you can leave the airport and head into town.

Thanks
    Nomad
    Mrs W likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    You can leave.... I'm sure there's a train that will get you in there.....

Never used the premium lounge, just paid for internet at a bar and sat and had a few beers.

8 hours you'll have to do something!!!
    Mrs W likes this.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Wabbits Boss Cadet silver Mrs W's Avatar
    Not fun 8 hours Nomad I did the same as PBB because I feel unsave to go some where far from airport. I not sure where you go but have a good trip Nomad....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I have used the premium lounge at LCCT, but it is pretty basic and small (a couple of computers, lounge chairs, basic snacks) but last time I was there you could only access it if you were already airside! ie. if your bags are already checked in! Don't know your routing but I would consider getting better flights.

Anyway, I have heard some people go to the Tune hotel nearby or yes, go into town, there are buses from LCCT. I think the train only leaves from the other terminal and the bus trip between them can take up to 30 min believe it or not!
    Mrs W likes this.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    The premium lounge used to be a large (ish) lounge airside and a very small one landside.
    It's now changed to a large one landside and small airside.
    I've spent time in the old (large) airside lounge and recently the (large) landside lounge.
    A couple of hours is all I'd like to spend there. It is a quiet refuge from the seething mass of confused travellers outside though.

The whole terminal is a dump. Partly because of the infrastructure (or lack of) but mainly because of the clientèle.
    The Tune Hotel is within walking distance (about 400 metres)
    It's about an hour to town on the bus. I think there is also now a bus service that connects with the train from the (proper) terminal to the city. Might be a bit quicker.
    Mrs W and Bawdy like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    TG had a stopover at LCCT last trip here that was about 7 hours due to a change of flight time. She exited and I think bus (maybe train) to the main terminal for a few hours.

Just booked the other day and it was a toss up between AA (4 hour stopover) at LCCT, or about 4 hours at Changi for a few dollars more, I took the Changi option.
    Mrs W likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Agree with Nora, it's the clientele that makes LCCT a dump. It's dirty and noisy, eg: kids allowed to run riot in the lounge bar for an hour! FFS ... but it does have some good points: the noodle bar stand in departure lounge near Gate T6 and T7 ... great food!

A couple of tips.
    Even with checked-thru baggage, one can still pass thru Immi upon arrival and explore LCCT landside, instead remaining cooped up in the transit/departure area.

There's a shuttle bus between LCCT and KLIA (main Int'l terminal), cheap, but slow ... wait maybe half an hour + 15 mins travel = allow 45 mins each way. Taxi quicker if needed! Tune hotel is an easy walk but take ear-muffs if you want a sleep... its very noisy. They've never heard of soft-closing doors!

AirAsia's shuttle buses run a regular service into KL city centre for ~ 9 MYR. It's cheap and efficient both ways, allow an hours travel, maybe more if rush hour/raining etc. With 8 hours to play with, one could do an AA bus run to KL Central, grab a cab and do a circuit of KL, including a look at Petronas Towers and return to LCCT.

New LCCT terminal must be nearing completion now ... June opening was last I heard, anyone with an update?
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Anyone who thinks the LCCT at KL makes for a long stop-over has never flown with Royal Brunei and done a stop-over at Bandar Seri Begawan's tiny airport.

KL LCCT is okay ... remember you get what you pay for ...

Lots of food options at LCCT and if you want a drink, short walk (98% undercover) to the restaurant under the Tune Hotel which - technically being off the airport grounds - can serve you alcohol. The food court 100m outside the main terminal on the way to the Tune Hotel has a good selection of food and cheap prices for an airport.

Yes, its the herd like clientele that makes the place less than pleasant especially when combined with the local immigration and check in staff who always remind me of the Turkish prison guards from "Midnight Express"

Changi is my preferred path but I would not avoid LCCT if the deal was good enough.

Enjoy..
    Life is the unexpected ...

Cadet Gold
    The new LCCT Terminal if on schedule will open June 28. It's massive and lots of improvements. Its called KLIA 2, not sure how far from the current LCCT.

Found the map,

Last edited by Nautilus; 1st May 2013 at 14:05.

Cadet
    I have spent many a long, boring hour in KL LCCT, but the problem you have when flying international with Air Aisa is that they won;t ccheck your baggage until 3 hours before a flight closes, so you either have to stay with it, take it, or put it in a secure area. Then you have ot be back about 2 hour minimum before your flight leaves to check-in, and the AA queues can be long and slow, so take that into account. i usually try and be there 3 hours early. Also, as others have said, the buses take between 30-60 minutes to KLCC/back, so it is something else to factor in.

Tune is a cheap hotel, but you have to pay for everything, including aircon, a towel, water etc so it can add up pretty quick. My last flight/connection was an overnight of about 10 hours, so I booked a cheap hotel as close as I could within an acceptable price range, but the LCCT has some set-price thing with the taxis where you have to buy a coupon, so even though i was just down the road I had to pay about 50ringit for a 15 minute drive! It was late, I was tired, I just wanted to get to my hotel.... anyway, i hate the LCCT, but it is the price you pay for cheap flights around Asia. I don't mind sitting around the LCCT if its the difference between going back to LOS or staying home because I can;t afford the trip! Having said all that, I am flying Scoot via Changi this time, so i will see how that rates as another/better option.

What i can recommend is the Tea Leaf coffee shop down near the end of the terminal. They make great coffee and cakes, and i especially love the large Chai tea Latte after a long flight!

Cadet
    Oh, sorry, to answer your original question, yes, but you won't want to kill 6 hours in there. And the pub/bar in the LCCT could set you back a whole days pay if you start to get a few beers under your belt. It's Singapore expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Anyone who thinks the LCCT at KL makes for a long stop-over has never flown with Royal Brunei and done a stop-over at Bandar Seri Begawan's tiny airport.
    I am flying with them in November (I can get a $350 Asia return flight with them thru work), but my nightmare is being stranded at that airport 555

Quote Originally Posted by GC Chris View Post
    ... I am flying Scoot via Changi this time, so i will see how that rates as another/better option.
    Does Scoot fly to the main terminal or the budget terminal at Changi?

Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    ~

Does Scoot fly to the main terminal or the budget terminal at Changi?
    Terminal 2 > Interactive Map - Changi Airport
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I'd head to downtown KL.....do the Bhukit Bintang walk and eat hawker food on Jalan Alor....as KR suggested earlier the Petronas Towers are well worth the visit however its only open during business hours and you need to prebook online ....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Thx for the tips. It sounds like even though I will have checked thru baggage I can head into KL to kill time.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I'd head to downtown KL.....do the Bhukit Bintang walk and eat hawker food on Jalan Alor....as KR suggested earlier the Petronas Towers are well worth the visit however its only open during business hours and you need to prebook online ....
    Not many of the food stalls open on Jalan Alor during the day. There is an excellent little restaurant on the corner of the Petronas Towers called The Apartment. The fresh pasta and duck pancakes make it worth the effort to get there.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    I am flying with them in November (I can get a $350 Asia return flight with them thru work), but my nightmare is being stranded at that airport 555
    I stopped flying with them around about 2005 when the budget airlines really got going internationally but to this day I'd say Royal Brunei had the best food I've ever eaten in flight .... no alcohol service and a pre-flight prayer to Allah ...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    I just pay the extra and fly direct Brisbane - Bangkok with Thai Airways these days, so much nicer. Eight and a half hours travel, good size seat, good food, plenty of grog, entertainment, pillows, blanket no goats or chickens 555

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I stopped flying with them around about 2005 when the budget airlines really got going internationally but to this day I'd say Royal Brunei had the best food I've ever eaten in flight .... no alcohol service and a pre-flight prayer to Allah ...
    I think their std fare is $760, so not too bad, just their connection at BWN is tight, good if it works, but missing the flight would be torture for me ...

Ya'll sound a bit flash.... KL LCCT terminal is probably my favourite airport terminal, relatively infrequent flier that I am. None-the-less, I have been there several times and liked the shed like simplicity of the place, and the common folk there.

That being said, I would not want to hang around there for 8 hours any more than I have wanted to hang around other more celubrious terminals. Still, as i recall there are lockers where you can leave your luggage, so as others have suggested, a trip into town would be the way to go.

I'd be heading off for a sizzling steak at the Colliseum Cafe. It has changed little since colonial days. It gets the odd lick of paint, but the kitchen and the menu is essentially unchanged. I reckon even a few of the staff have been around since then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast