Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D/L International

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

D/L International

Quick question - do I really need to get an Internationl License to drive around LOS for a 3 week holiday or will I get by with my Oz D/License ?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    You will find that if you have an accident your insurance might not cover you without an international licence....

Easy to get... costs around $30 and 10min of your time, I just went to the RACV with 2 passport photos and it was done straight away. Valid for 12mths and a good piece of mind.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    You will find that if you have an accident your insurance might not cover you without an international licence....

Easy to get... costs around $30 and 10min of your time, I just went to the RACV with 2 passport photos and it was done straight away. Valid for 12mths and a good piece of mind.
    No probs PBB, just that for me to get requires a 120km round trip - but it will get me out of work for a few hours. Decisions decisions. 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Can't you just get it on your way to the airport?.... takes no more than 10min.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    RAC do it in WA but not all branches...Go figure.
    I got it and it has made check points in LOS easier and quicker.
    Lasts for a year.

It's an IDP, or International Driving Permit and supports your home country licence by way of interpretation. Did my last one by mail with RACQ.

For a 3 week trip it's advisable though I've never been asked for it, only Passport and or QLD drivers licence.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Strictly speaking you are supposed to have an IDP, which (as Kaptain Rob says) merely supports your home country licence. They should both be carried. In practice just an English language licence is normally acceptable at police check points and the like. However, if you are involved in an incident or accident, being in compliance with the letter of the law could be to your advantage.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    IME, made it harder for the MIB to extract tea money.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Talking of tea money ... just back from 1800km Isaan trip ...

We were stopped once each on way there, and back, by Police 'eating money' as Jo calls them. Just 3 or 4 MIB pulling all cars over. Both times I wound down window and they peered inside, saw our dash mount video camera and PDA/GPS, and we paid NO 'tea money'.

Just weeks ago there had been major media (incl. TV) coverage of such 'tea-money' collection caught on in-car camera (which also records sound) and Police heads rolled!

I'd coached Jo to immediately deny any wrong-doing, say we were doing 100 "I know, because it shows on PC" etc. As it turned out that wasn't necessary.... they were extremely polite and waved us on. I flipped a remark, "see you later" and one cop standing in middle of road responded "no no, we no want see you again"...

I have only ever been asked to show my licence once; showed my Thai one and was on my way again with no further request. Being polite, "sawadeekhup" and being able to respond in Thai to "bpai nai?" seems to go down well. The $40 dash cam is a worthwhile investment also.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    There`s a whole thread about driving here http://www.thai-dreaming.com/forums/...-kaen/3103.htm

I`ve rented cars,negotiated MiB without having to produce a licence even stopped and started getting it out and told not to bother as they just want to know where i`m going and look at my bike 555
    Had a an insurance claim and only produced my PP and Oz driving licence.

I`ve never had a problem with the MiB after being pulled over dozens of times over a long period of time.

Copy and paste from link....

You certainly have to be very flexible and drop what you have learnt as being "courteous".
    There is no such thing as being "cut off" in LOS but instead you have to do whatever you can to avoid people who are in front of you (or using that bit of road before you) even if they are coming straight at you on your side of the road!!

Road rage is seen as a weakness and very unThai and should be avoided at all times no matter how infuriating the twats appear to be 555 you could well end up with a few bullets coming your way if you choose to abuse the wrong people.

But as far as letting your car "free wheel" over the speed limit on a downhill section (whatever it might be) or travelling at 120`s plus where it seems ok there`s not too much of a problem as radar guns and speed detection is extremely rare there.
    The complete opposite of how Oz is now.

If travelling on the open road in the right lane (or overtaking lane on 4+ lane divided highway) and cars coming the other way start flashing their high beams best to get into the left lane as there`ll be MiB up ahead and they`ll be pulling over people in the overtaking lane and fining them for speeding as thats seems to be how they judge speeding,although i`ve been able to talk my way out of a ticket a few times now from those exact circumstances,the fine is only 200 baht anyway!!

Overtaking is a breeze as oncoming traffic always peels to the side and allows you back in if it is close.

You can certainly get away with a lot more driving around here and the whole big brother thing is virtually non existent as well as road tax (rego) and insurance being a fraction of the cost of back home.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    IIRC an IDP, even though it has a one year expiry date, is only valid (strictly speaking) for 3 months in LOS?

Tea money is now 400 baht according to Isaan locals. Lew is correct in the determination of 'speeding' seems to apply if you are in the RH lane. In over 35,000 km's of driving I've found north-west Isaan drivers among the best, south-east especially Roi Et to Ubon Ratchathani the worst.

Apart from the usual drug and firearms check-points, we've only been stopped 3 times by MIB. There are no pursuit cars as such and speed cameras or genuine radar traps are rare.
    Cheers, Rob.

Yes
    The only place I have come across radar is between Lampang and Tak,usually about 50ks south of Lampang.
    They shoot about 3kms north of the checkpoint and have your number by the time you reach the CP.

I have showed my IDP in Phuket and the MIB seemed more comfortable looking at my OZ licence,I also got the feeling the guy could not read English and was going through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    . The $40 dash cam is a worthwhile investment also.
    Kapatan tell me more about this $40 cam sounds interesting, any links ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Kapatan tell me more about this $40 cam sounds interesting, any links ?
    Here ya go, AM > Car camera - extra insurance!
    Cheers, Rob.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    On my roadtrip from Bangkok to Nong Khai(About 2500Km) last year I was picked up our friendly police on 5 seperate occasions 555 Four of those times the MIB were happy with my Aussie License, one wanted to see the International one as the Aussie one was not enough.

I gotted waved in between Khon Kaen and Korat by the MIB, I was in the RHS overtaking and they said I was speeding, no radar they said they can see I was, which I wasnt and managed to talk my way out of it, I was being stubborn 555

I did donate to their Christmas Party Fund in Udon as my missus reckons Thai's dont have to wear seatbelts, and then when she wasnt let off I thought we were ready for another fine for argueing with the police 555 Meanwhile a pickup with about 10 sitting in the back goes past and thats OK 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    A couple of years ago my mate had a small motorbike accident in CM, no other vehicles involved, we rang the travel insurance company and they told us which hospital to go to in CM, and they wanted a copy of his International Licence, no problem as he had one and they paid for the Hospital Bill.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    IIRC an IDP, even though it has a one year expiry date, is only valid (strictly speaking) for 3 months in LOS?
    Yes, an IDP is valid for just one year. And yes, if you are in Thailand longer than three months your are supposed to have a Thai Driving Licence. In practice it doesn't usually matter, but on occasion it can help to have complied with the letter of the law.

Before I got my Thai licence I was once asked to present an IDP along with my licence from home at a checkpoint. A "I don't understand" glare had me sent on my way by a cop who didn't want to be bothered to finish what he started with a slightly indignant farang. A slightly meeker attitude may have resulted in a contribution request.

It is quite easy to convert to a Thai Driving Licence if your IDP is still valid. If not, you have to go through the whole test procedure to be issued with one. It is not difficult, just a pointless hassle.

How to get a Thai drivers license

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    200 baht is the speeding fine so i wouldn`t give them any more than that.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    200 baht is the speeding fine so i wouldn`t give them any more than that.
    It may have been once, but it's now 400 Bt, unless there's a sliding scale I'm unaware of? Tea money same same ... inflation, huh?
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast