Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: How to buy a second hand motorbike in Patong?

How to buy a second hand motorbike in Patong?

Anyone know where to find a used motorbike? Looking to spend around 500$-800$ I figure it will get stolen eventually so no point in buying a new one. Not renting because I wound up paying ~1,000$ over that

wow http://www.thephuketnews.com/black-h...baht-39329.php
    Last edited by supmate; 31st May 2013 at 18:07.
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Contact BM Briofoz by PM. Brian has a HUGE fleet of well maintained rentals and usually downsizes around now when things go quiet.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Contact BM Briofoz by PM. Brian has a HUGE fleet of well maintained rentals and usually downsizes around now when things go quiet.

Agree with what the Kaptain said plus at least you know the bike has been serviced over its life, maybe not the case if owned by a local Thai.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Spot on Kappy.
    Bri is in BKK as we speak re-stocking at the auctions ( his new hobby!)

So he'll have some well maintained 2-3 year old scooters for sale (the expats have probably snaffled the cheap sh*t 555!).

I recommend him 'Supo.
    Last edited by Zablive; 31st May 2013 at 18:08.

would you need to purchase insurance or pay for road tax to own a bike in phuket?

Quote Originally Posted by sib saam View Post
    would you need to purchase insurance or pay for road tax to own a bike in phuket?
    I would just buy it and wait for problems to come to you. Can't tell you how many No Helmet 500b tickets I've paid and no police ever asked any questions. I suppose you get some sort of document signed over to you in case the bike was ever stolen and you would have that as proof to file a report to police. However I have had a rented bike stolen in patong and they never turn up.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sib saam View Post
    Yearly road tax has compulsory insurance with it both paid at the land tax office by yourself an agent...bike shop etc. Green book needs to have your name transferred to it and tax paid when it becomes due which is around 700 baht/year.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by supmate View Post
    I would just buy it and wait for problems to come to you. Can't tell you how many No Helmet 500b tickets I've paid and no police ever asked any questions. I suppose you get some sort of document signed over to you in case the bike was ever stolen and you would have that as proof to file a report to police. However I have had a rented bike stolen in patong and they never turn up.
    Do things right and you are less likely to find problems come your way. I have ridden 125,000 km on Phuket roads without a booking or an accident.

For your $500 to $800 (15,000 - 25,000 baht) budget you can get something will be a few years old, but still has many more years left in it. I bought my bike as a 6 year-old 100cc ex-rental with 90,000 km on the clock, for 15,000 baht. I had the rings and bearings done at 180,000 km, which cost just over 4,000 baht. Now it has done 215,000 km, and looks good for many more.

With the green book, and a form filled in by the seller and me, change of ownership took just a few minutes and about 150 baht (as I recall) at the Transport Department office in Phuket Town.

About a month before reregistration time comes around each year I pop down to a place near the Transport Department to get the bike "checked". I buy the compulsory insurance there too. Then off to the Transport Department with those documents and the green book, and it is all done in a few minutes. All up, about 500 baht and an hour from the time I leave my apartment to the time I return. If you have a bigger bike, registration may be a little more expensive.

I bought a similar bike from a second hand bike dealer near the Jui Tui Chinese temple in Phuket town, for my ex TGF, for 16,000. I have taken a few others there and and all have been happy with the bikes they bought. The shop handles the change of ownership formalities.

Wear a helmet and you are unlikely to even been stopped these days. Besides, if it has a peak it keeps some of the sun off your nose, and it may even save you skull in the event of an accident.
    Last edited by Mick; 3rd June 2013 at 20:28.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Do things right and you are less likely to find problems come your way. I have ridden 125,000 km on Phuket roads without a booking or an accident.

For your $500 to $800 (15,000 - 25,000 baht) budget you can get something will be a few years old, but still has many more years left in it. I bought my bike as a 6 year-old 100cc ex-rental with 90,000 km on the clock, for 15,000 baht. I had the rings and bearings done at 180,000 km, which cost just over 4,000 baht. Now it has done 215,000 km, and looks good for many more.

With the green book, and a form filled in by the seller and me, change of ownership took just a few minutes and about 150 baht (as I recall) at the Transport Department office in Phuket Town.

About a month reregistration time comes around each year I pop down to a place near the Transport Department to get the bike "checked". I buy the compulsory insurance there too. Then off to the Transport Department with those documents and the green book, and it is all done in a few minutes. All up, about 500 baht and an hour from the time I leave my apartment to the time I return. If you have a bigger bike, registration may be a little more expensive.

I bought a similar bike from a second hand bike dealer near the Jui Tui Chinese temple in Phuket town, for my ex TGF, for 16,000. I have taken a few others there and and all have been happy with the bikes they bought. The shop handles the change of ownership formalities.

Wear a helmet and you are unlikely to even been stopped these days. Besides, if it has a peak it keeps some of the sun off your nose, and it may even save you skull in the event of an accident.
    Good post, but must likely wasted..... trappy doesn't even wear a rubber.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    I have some old Clicks for 15,000Bt. (same model as the one in Phuket News link)

Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    I have some old Clicks for 15,000Bt. (same model as the one in Phuket News link)
    Yeah thats my favorite model. I will be in touch. Prob buying it in Sept if thats cool.

Thanks so much <3

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    No worries.